Thread: Epilepsy..

Default Epilepsy..

Hi Mom here, I have a son who's been diagnosed with childhood epilepsy syndrome, this means their epilepsy has specific characteristics. These can include the type of seizure or seizures they have, the age when the seizures started and the specific results of an electroencephalogram (EEG).An EEG test is painless, and it records the electrical activity of the brain. In my son's case, he has "benign" which means they usually have a good outcome and usually go away once the child reaches a certain age. And as a mom, I don't want my son to suffer this kind of illness for a very long time. He's 5 yrs old now and he is doing great in school. That's why I am searching the best solution for my son and as along the way, I saw that cannabis can be the solution to my problem. But I did not try it yet. So am just asking if it safe for my son? Any reply will highly appreciate. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Moderator #7; 01-02-2019 at 10:37 PM. Reason: No links allowed for new members.

2. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Hi Amanda,

We have other mom’s here with children with seizures. I’m sure one will be by. I just wanted to welcome you to BT.

You might want to copy your post and put it in Childhood Neurology, too.

ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Welcome, Amanda!

I'm just someone from the MS forum here but I found this--it might be of some use to you:

https://www.epilepsy.com/learn/treat...a-and-epilepsy

It mentions treating people 2 years of age and older for epilepsy with marijuana, but the two types of epilepsy that are mentioned are severe and/or rare. Nobody here is a medical doctor, but offhand I'd say you should consult a doctor before trying any treatment.

This information below might be of some help. It sounds as if cannabis is prescribed only when standard antiepilepsy drugs have failed. The Website is from the UK, and some of the statements about laws may not apply in your location.

https://www.epilepsysociety.org.uk/c...y#.XC24j1xKiK9
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

Distinguished Community Member

Hi Amanda,

Welcome to the forum! I've had absence and complex partial seizures for 47 yrs. and after trying over 10 different seizure meds my Epileptologist which is a Dr. who specializes in epilepsy did a DNA test on me and found I was drug resistant to all seizure meds out on the market now. The Dr. then told me to start the cbd (medical marijuana) and I bought it on line in a mouth spray and it reduced my seizures a lot.
    Then in Feb. of 2018 I started taking 2 Tablespoons of apple cider vinegar with mother in it to lose weight and that stopped 50% of my seizures.
    The smart thing to do is keep track of your sons seizures get a calendar and write down what time your son had a seizure and the type of seizure your son had, by doing this the Dr. may see a pattern in his seizures as to what time of day/night they happen or what days of the month. I was always having them the 3rd week of the month until I started using the vinegar.
    Also keep your son away from nutra sweet (aspartame) it's been proven that aspartame can cause more electrical activity in the brain an sometimes trigger seizures. I found this out the hard way when I started drinking diet soda and had many more seizures. I wish you and your son the best of luck and May God Bless the Both of You!

Sue
    Last edited by Porkette; 01-03-2019 at 01:35 PM.