Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: January 2019: Keep on Moving Thread

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SuzE-Q View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's good, agate, you aren't having any days of rest, so just the consistency is very good.

My strategy of slow and steady has really helped. I just walk farther when I'm up, and pick up the pace. As opposed to 50 steps if I'm counting, I'll do 150. Also, instead of 20 knee ups followed by 10 wall pushups, I double it at a time.

So, I don't really notice the difference as much because it's still in smaller increments. But, I at least am increasing my heartrate because I feel it, and also my arms are twinging a bit after 20 pushups in a row.

But, it's still doable. Spreading it all out is really helping, and also that the weather is cold.

Finally, something that winter is good for!
    I may not be having any days of rest but every day is a day of rest. I'm constantly whittling away at things and activities, removing whatever I can do without.

In recent weeks I postponed a January appointment (an annual checkup with the neuro) until March because I just didn't feel up to going out in possibly very bad weather at a time when I won't have learned enough yet about this smartphone.

And--this was really drastic--I cut my ties with two message boards I've been on for over 10 years. I'm not up to the stress any more.

As long as I can get away with easing things by paring away at this and that, I'm doing well enough, but sometimes it hurts to give things up.

I recently gave away most of my cooling racks that I used to use for cookies and other baking projects. I kept two of them but realized that I haven't done any baking in over 10 years. Just thinking about the effort involved in turning out a batch of cookies makes me tired. I don't know how I ever did so many batches of cookies over the years, plus bread, quick breads, muffins. I used to make all my own bread. Haven't done that in 23 years though I did it regularly for many years. I had it down to a system. Every couple of months I had a bread-making day because it took all day to make it, then prepare most of it for the freezer. I baked 2-3 loaves each time, and that would last me for a couple of months. I was wiped out after that day of being on my feet, often in a warm environment, but I kept a powerful fan running and took rest breaks.

This is turning into a whine.

I was watching season 7 of a TV series, "George Gently," and the main character, a cop in the UK named George Gently, is having some weird symptoms in the first episode of that season. At the end of the episode he's diagnosed with (you guessed it) MS. This was a surprise as this man must bein his 50s or maybe even past 60. I watched that episode last night, and maybe it caused me to start feeling even sorrier for myself than usual.

It will be interesting to see if the TV series does anything with this development (his MS) or whether he will soldier on, a bit like President Bartlet on "West Wing."
    Last edited by agate; 01-09-2019 at 01:19 PM.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

2. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Agate, I hear you. I too have whittled away at much of my life by giving up things I use to take for granted that I would continue to do. I gave up the book club, the meditation group and this was after giving up a lot of other friendships because I could not keep up with them.

When you say the man in George Gently was diagnosed with MS, I assume this is a fictional character. If so, it probably was written by people who have very little knowledge of what MS is. Therefore, they may treat it anyway they wish. I can understand that this might get you a little down.

I keep putting off making and keeping a Doctor's appointment that I have known for some time that I need, but I just don't feel like physically going and going through it.

I admire Sunshine for taking care of her health and keeping up with all the Doctor appointments that she has. I feel the same way about Ann. But, while admiring them and vowing to do more about my own I just keep doing the same thing here at home, which is some housework and a little exercise, but not much. Sometime I think to myself that life is passing me by and I am not doing anything about it and then I think I really don't feel like doing much about it.

You are smart and strong and I know you will pull out of this, and maybe be glad that some of these things are no longer so important to you.

I do not know what it is like in Oregon, but I would imagine that the current state of the government shutdown could be playing a role in how you are feeling. I saw some crucial states listed and I quickly looked for Oregon and it was not on the list, but that does not always tell the whole story.

Maybe we will both feel better soon.
    Virginia

4. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

When you say the man in George Gently was diagnosed with MS, I assume this is a fictional character.
    Virginia, yes, George Gently is the fictional character, and the TV series is named "Inspector George Gently." The series ran through 8 seasons with the last one in 2017. I don't think it's been continued since then. The stories are set in the 1960s.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1430509/?ref_=fn_tt_tt_1

6. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

Let’s not scold ourselves from what we do not do. Even though we used to do it. Let’s focus on the moment let’s try to find beauty in each moment, whether it is an interesting butterfly that just flew by the window, a moment of peace with no noise in our home, or even a bigger moments of beauty such as when a family member is on the phone talking.

With this disease, we do not need to judge ourselves in anyway. What my post don’t show is that much of my day is spent lying down. This is with or without a swim. The only reason I keep swimming is that it feels so good moving in the water. And I am afraid of developing new problems if I don’t move in someway. Yes, today I swim over 800 yards in 29 minutes. But I have been lying on the couch for an hour, dreading have to drive 12 minutes to a doctors visit.

Like agate and Virginia , all day long, I try to talk myself out of going to an appointment because it just seems too much. My cooking now focuses on simple cooking, about 20% of my favorite recipes. I love the other recipes, but the thought of following the complexity of them, Even though I’ve cooked them 1 million times before, is simply overwhelming.

It is human nature to judge ourselves. But it is not a recipe for a peaceful life, healthy or not. Celebrate moments of peace. Seek peace.

8. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

Today I swam a half mile in 29 minutes. It was very pleasurable. Then I Grocery shopped for an hour. I have help putting it away and caring it from the car. Then I rested for a couple hours then went to the fish store.

Then I cooked for about 15 minutes. I will rest the rest of the day, lying down
    Last edited by Sunshine; 01-11-2019 at 12:16 PM.

10. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Really amazing, Sunshine.

I walked to and from my hair appointment today for a total of six blocks in 28 degrees.

I’ve also been doing sit-to-stands.

ANN
    Last edited by stillstANNding; 01-11-2019 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Tooooo many o’s in to
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

12. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member SuzE-Q's Avatar

Sunshine, I am constantly cancelling and rescheduling appointments. Almost noone invites me to anything anymore because I am the queen of the cancellation.

But, I can't help it, and do the best that I can. Agate, Virginia, I understand! I couldn't make any commitnent to ongoing events because if I'm honest, I'll just end up cancelling out, as optimistic and desirous as I am to doing whatever it is at the time I'm considering it. But history shows, and I know it to be true, that I rarely keep commitments because I'm almost always too tired at the time.

I don't feel bad because I can't help it!

Now...about this 2,000+ steps/day....

I've been doing it, but today, I'll do less than 1,000 because my calf muscles are hurting.

That must mean that it's making a difference! Who knew just walking can cause muscle pain from the exertion?!

It feels good to be moving again, and knowing I'm improving my health by doing it!

Good job, ladies!
    Please Note that my posts may have been arbitrarily altered by a Moderator and may not reflect my original content.

Per Mike Weins: "...the admin/mod team doesn't have to provide a forewarning/warning/mention about altering a members post. It doesn't matter if they fix a link, remove a link, fix a typo, or whatever...."

14. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Today I've taken out the trash and done a load of laundry and put it away. There will be a few exercises by the end of the day.

16. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Cool

Today, I woke up, and....uh, ate.....and watched TV. Beat THAT!
    Evolution spans the Universe.

18. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Howie, I can't beat it by much I will admit. I did vacuum the downstairs.

Ann did great going to the hairdresser, and had I been going to do that I would have had more of an incentive.

Sunshine certainly did really well.

Agate, did well with taking out the trash, doing a load of laundry and some exercises.
    Virginia

20. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast