Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This has become a useful first step to get my body moving again....

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

Default This has become a useful first step to get my body moving again....

With the end of the farming season and that physical work I have been enjoying the relaxation. Now my body feels like it has tightened up, I have gained a couple of pounds and walking any distance is good on some days and too difficult on others.

Feeling discouraged I thought about what I needed to do and stumbled on a news story about people in China moving in those grace movements that are slow and so important. I used to stretch a lot and thought bingo! Thatís what I need to do. But the routine of setting aside time to stretch is annoying for some reason.

I spotted an old stretchy rubber band I got from a physical therapy session years ago. You know, those things that are about 4í by 6Ē. That band has been around my neck for 3 days while I am home. As I move around or sit I will pull slowly and twist slowly and it seems I am slowly unlocking my muscles. I just do it when I am waiting for the tea water to boil, watching tv, sitting at my desk or reading. Anything. I do a stretch here and a stretch there. Just seconds but throughout the day.

This has helped me a lot. Maybe a placebo effect but it feels good.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

2. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That sounds like a good plan. Finding or making the time to do the exercises we need to do is a problem for me too.

Some of my exercise bands get flabby and even deteriorate from sitting around, I've found. If they've lost some of their elasticity, they probably need replacing.

I probably need to do more arm-strengthening routines. I can hardly lift the grandchild, who weighs only 19 pounds. When I was a mom, I lifted 3-year-olds many times a day, and they weighed a lot more than that. I must have lost a lot of arm strength.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

4. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

Strength is easy enough to regain by starting slowly and increasing in small increments. As long as the weakness is from disuse, not from faulty wiring to the muscle. Starting with one pound weights, in a type of lift that doesn’t strain the back, every other day, 8 lifts for each arm, then 8 again....after each week, slowly increase the amount you lift. Eventually you will be able to do it with 6, or 8, or even 10 lbs. but go slowly. Don’t injure yourself. It should tire the muscle, not create pain. Stop if it creates a pain or sharp pain.

But they say that disuse also creates inflexibility, which is harder to get back. Sounds like Laz found a good method.

6. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member SuzE-Q's Avatar

Laz, I'm a good example that if you take it slow and steady, a body is all too willing to improve itself and reverse some of the muscle wasting and tiredness and stiffness.

I actually enjoy doing kneeups now, I feel my heart beating faster, a bit of aerobic activity occurring, and because I'm swinging my arms as well, I feel the back stretches is really giving me a good stretch and limbering me up a bit. Like you, I'm doing them as I wait for water to boil, popcorn to pop, tea to steep, etc.

Of course, I need to be right next to a counter otherwise I'd probably keel right over and lose my balance. Swinging my arms actually helps me maintain my balance in addition to a good back movement.

But, I think the pain in my legs has lessened ever since I began this concerted effort to move more, and pay conscious attention to it.

Tai chi would be amazing. Maybe eventually I'll incorporate that in too. I still have the #'d leg band that you mentioned before that I got, but still haven't used.

8. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Suze-Q, what are knee-ups? I am going to try and find one of those bands around here. Mine got so stretched out that I got rid of most of them. Hope I still have at least one left.

Linda, thanks for bringing up the bands.
    Virginia

10. The following 5 users say "thanks"

This is what I do, Virginia, except I bring the opposing elbow around near the raised knee while the other arm on the raised knee side is swinging slightly bent and behind my back (like swinging my arms in a brisk walk).

So it is countervailing forces in front and behind me and I feel quite balanced and my back is doing a really nice stretch that way. I can literally feel the muscles stretching out from my spine and it's a nice momentum between front and back movements on the left and right side.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4_G7VbRyeUs

This other one might be good as you're not lifting the knee as high, but the resistance band is still helping with the strengthening though.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WTb5BL2EGfI
    Please Note that my posts may have been arbitrarily altered by a Moderator and may not reflect my original content.

Per Mike Weins: "...the admin/mod team doesn't have to provide a forewarning/warning/mention about altering a members post. It doesn't matter if they fix a link, remove a link, fix a typo, or whatever...."

12. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Thanks Suze-Q, I might have to try and order some bands from Amazon. I am not sure what strength to get, but I will try to figure it out.

If I do that and some sit-to-stands, it might help. I will have to go very slow. I was doing sit-to-stands and I guess I was doing too many at a time because I had to stop for awhile. I got really sore and even tighter than what I was before I started them, but not a good tight.
    Virginia

14. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Virginia View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thanks Suze-Q, I might have to try and order some bands from Amazon. I am not sure what strength to get, but I will try to figure it out.

If I do that and some sit-to-stands, it might help. I will have to go very slow. I was doing sit-to-stands and I guess I was doing too many at a time because I had to stop for awhile. I got really sore and even tighter than what I was before I started them, but not a good tight.
    Hi
    This morning my body feels like it is breathing.maybe my new routine is helping or maybe it is coincidence but this is the first time in months that My body does not feel like it is in a straightjacket alll knotted up. I do not set aside any time to do the stretching I just do it throughout the day because that rubber band is around my neck.

While I was waiting for the tea water to boil, while I was in the shower, while living! I stretch my arms, my back, my legs...I pull on that strap slowly and it seems to be helping. I hope this stays with me.
    Last edited by Lazarus; 12-26-2018 at 03:05 AM.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

16. The following 4 users say "thanks"

It's quite inexpensive to get a series of exercise bands, Virginia (make sure you're not allergic to latex, too!):

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Resistanc...atex/958353473

https://www.amazon.com/Exercise-Band...%5Cc4811882011

If you Google, you can come up with a nice chart of their progressive resistance by color, too.

So glad it's effective for you, Linda, I love to hear that!
    Please Note that my posts may have been arbitrarily altered by a Moderator and may not reflect my original content.

Per Mike Weins: "...the admin/mod team doesn't have to provide a forewarning/warning/mention about altering a members post. It doesn't matter if they fix a link, remove a link, fix a typo, or whatever...."

18. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This explains the usual color-coding for exercise bands:

https://www.livestrong.com/article/1...istance-bands/
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

20. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast