Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another great essay

Distinguished Community Member nuthatch's Avatar

Great article, Sunshine. It clearly describes how I feel after dealing with the medical establishment most of my adult life. Incompetence and/or an "I don't care attitude" has permanently turned me off to doctors. I, more or less, fend for myself as much as humanly possible. Everything appears to be driven by money and I refuse to play that game, regardless if it's money from my own pocket, the insurance company's or the government's. After reading the forum, I often wonder how it is that only some people get treated like their lives matter and others are simply disregarded and discarded.

As my condition progresses, I find myself thinking these same thoughts.
    I began spending considerable time picturing what my absence would look like, convincing myself that my loved ones would be better off without me. I didn’t want to end my life. I wanted to escape the terminal collapse of my world.

2. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

Nuthatch, I understand your frustration and thoughts about death. I think that its only human to feel that way after struggling with an awful disease and being dismissed. Especially when docs just dont seem to give a dam.

WHen a doc says, “Its stress”, that tells me its a lazy doc. My immunologist summed it up nicely when he said that this is a sign of laziness in the doc (NOt his word, jus ta summary of what he said).

You take the good with the bad. Speak up when a doc isn’t giving good care if on the sum of it, he or she is decent enough. Keep reading so as to ask questions and push for tests.

WHen this happened to many of us, including Virginia, there was no internet, or it was just starting. So it was hard to gather enough medical info to even know what questions to ask.

I recall my first consult with a gyn where I told him I was fatigued beyond fatigue, my hands tingled, and there was a third thing I cant recall anymore. He said,”SUnshine, what would cause such disparate symptoms”, to which I said,,” I dont know!?! I thoughT I would tell you and you would say” OH! It’s the Tinkelberry Syndrome. LEts get you tested”

One year later the big symptoms began, he had left practice and my new GYN , the day before Thanksgiving by phone when I called barely able to walk, said, “YOu leave work right now, and I want you to get these labs done and see a neurologist right away which I have set up an appointment for you”> Course that neuro said,”Stress” ....that was my first experience with the contrast between good doctors and lazy ones.

4. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Sunshine, that is so true about lazy Doctors. I had not thought of it in that way. It is true that when I was going through my ordeal there was no place to go for information. I bought several medical books. One time when that Doctor, on his way out of the room, said you might just have Peripheral Neuropathy. I got out every book I had looking that up and one thing would lead me to another thing. It finally led to multiple sclerosis. It said that most people were diagnosed in their 20s and that it was very rare after 40. I remember my thought was - boy, this is one time I am glad I am older than that.

Nuthatch, I understand what you are saying, however your loved ones would never be better off without you - not your husband, your children or your grandchildren. They are worth living for. I am not in your situation, and there is nothing good about it. The one thing is that you had the wherewithal to build the house you are in and also you enjoy your crafts and jigsaw puzzles and things like that. Your mind is sharp and you obviously are well read. Try to remember these things as well as all the bad. You are normally an upbeat person, and you are missed on here when you do not come on.
    Virginia

6. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12