Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ROHO cushion

Distinguished Community Member nuthatch's Avatar

I've had a ROHO for over 8 years. I bought it after I broke my ankles, which landed me into a wheelchair permanently, unable to stand even momentarily. I was so used to my old cushion that the ROHO felt uncomfortable to me because my legs tended to splay out, pushing them against the sides of my wheelchair. The ROHO didn't "cup" my legs, like the old cushion did, so I went back to using my old Jay cushion.

Since the recent skin breakdown/pressure sore, I have been using the ROHO. The sore started slowly healing, but my hips hurt and felt "out of joint". We tried readjusting the air and while my hips are more comfortable, the sore is not making the progress it had been. Trying to find the "sweet spot" in this situation. Also using an alternating pressure mattress overlay, which takes a little getting used to, but is helping.

Cat, any recommendation on what topical medication to use on a pressure sore/skin breakdown?

My ROHO doesn't seem to leak any air at all.

2. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

Jon has had a ROHO cushion for nearly 15 years. Unfortunately, his declining health has precluded him from using his w/c for several years.

A PT demonstrated the proper way to inflate the cushion, which I can no longer remember. But I do recall that he said not to pump the entire cushion to full capacity. We put Jon in his chair, and the PT assessed his position, then adjusted the air to accommodate his form.

Here are some instructional videos on inflating the ROHO:

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...on+guidelines+

nuthatch ~

Jon has been battling decubitus ulcers since 2004. There is a wide array of wound care products including, medical honey, seaweed, collagen, silver ... It depends upon the wound. Currently his backside looks like he stood too close to a radiator. We have tried these over the counter remedies: Calmoseptine, Hydraguard, Butt Paste, and Bag Balm with little success.

If your wound is draining, I recommend Optifoam (which I order from Amazon). A variety of wound care pads are available, but I like Optifoam best.

If you have access to a wound care nurse, I recommend a consult. As Cat can attest, wounds can get out of control quickly.

I'm so sorry for all of you, who are contending with these issues, because I know well how frustrating it can be. Sending healing energy to all.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 49, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. Now, they watch over Jim and me.

4. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

The company is awesome. The new cushion arrived 3 days after I called and I am shipping the old one back this week. The old one clearly leaked in one quadrant, which was made even more evident by trying out the new one.

I like how my non Roho cushion works better: but, and its a bit but, I was developing skin breakdown in it. Roho seems to have rescued that.

Re those with skin breakdown : My friends dad got a pressure sore from sitting too much (not handicapped, just lots of other issues). She took him to a wound care center and he got his wound to reverse . But, his was just beginning. It was only a small pinhole size on the outside that was rapidly spreading.

6. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

I definitely recommend getting to a sound doctor! As Rose said, pressure sores are notoriously hard to treat, and can get much worse very quickly! Depending on how serious and how deep the sound is, the doctor will have a variety of treatments to try, to get it to heal. Whatever treatment she/he recommends, you'll be told to stay off it as much as possible, meaning bed rest for the better part of each day!

8. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12