Thread: Question from a friend of mine who takes fingolimod/ gilynea. (Sp)

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

Default Question from a friend of mine who takes fingolimod/ gilynea. (Sp)

Does anyone have experience with opportunistic infections and fingolimod?

Here is my friendís question:
    ďhave recently had opportunistic infection which my neurologist Howard Weiner thinks can be addressed by reducing the dosage of Gilenya that I take daily.

I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has taken or is taking the drug, particularly if they have experience similar problems from immuno-suppression.

Thanks.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

2. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Since I haven't tried the drug, I don't know if this will help any but the drug has been found to increase susceptibility to viral infections:

http://www.msdiscovery.org/news/new_...odís-fatal-fla
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

4. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member SuzE-Q's Avatar

Because [Fingolimod] causes a decrease of circulating lymphocytes, patients might be susceptible to serious infections, such as disseminated or central nervous system herpetic infection; indeed, two deaths were reported during the trial period as a result of primary disseminated varicella zoster infection and Herpes simplex encephalitis in the 1.25 mg/day group.5 Upper respiratory infections including nasopharyngitis or pharyngitis occurred in approximately 45% of patients in the Japanese clinical trial.9

Overseas trials found that the frequency of serious or opportunistic infection seems to be unrelated to lymphocyte count, and was not significantly increased even in patients whose lymphocyte counts had decreased to <200/mm3.13
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5575715/
    Please Note that my posts may have been arbitrarily altered by a Moderator and may not reflect my original content.

Per Mike Weins: "...the admin/mod team doesn't have to provide a forewarning/warning/mention about altering a members post. It doesn't matter if they fix a link, remove a link, fix a typo, or whatever...."

6. The following 5 users say "thanks"