Thread: Service dogs?

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Service dogs?

I've been hearing about service dogs for years. A neighbor here has one, in fact. It sounds as if they could be really useful for some people with MS, but I have a question about walking the dog. Doesn't every dog need to be walked several times a day? Or else have an easily available yard?

How would someone with MS, with limited or no walking ability, walk the dog? Years ago I saw a man with a power chair who walked a dog regularly in the park. He rode along in the chair while the dog stayed on a leash.

Not so easy with a manual chair?

This article is from Momentum Magazine:

http://www.momentummagazineonline.com/the-buddy-system/
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

2. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

I would love having the companionship of a service dog, but it would have to walk it's own self, and that is not allowed in my community.

There is a lady on one of our local TV stations who trains service dogs. They say you can tell when it is about time for one to be trained to be loyal to whomever they are going to help. This lady becomes sad and quite, and when the time comes she always cries. The attachment and love are there, but she knows that their purpose is to move on to someone who needs them.

I think that would be a hard thing to do. Do you think Sam is a service cat? She provides Howie with love and support. Of course that is in return for turkey and cheese.
    Virginia

4. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Your typical cat isn't about to be at anyone's service but Sam does seem to be atypical in some ways.

Don't most communities of any size have "pooper scooper" laws? You have to stay with your dog, making sure it's on its leash at all times (unless it's in one of those special dog parks where they're allowed to run around unleashed), and you have to be supplied with a plastic bag and a scooper to clean up after your dog.

6. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

For those, who have Netflix, I highly recommend the documentary, "Dogs." The first episode focuses on service dogs for children with disabilities, in particular, a young girl with intractable epilepsy.

Here's the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pLCmLgjiJ8

Howie ~ Sam would be considered an "emotional support animal."

https://www.esaregistration.org/

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 49, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad.

8. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Cool

Sam definitely provides support, and love. It didn't take her long to have me well trained.

When I was first DXed and could still walk for some distance, I went to an event called The Dog Walk for MS, put on by the NMSS. Being as I have never owned a dog, I walked a service dog a lady that trains them provided.

It was a breeze. The dog was so well trained. We walked through town to a large meeting hall, and all the dogs were left outside, and we were served a meal.

There wasn't a single dog fight. It was fun, and raised money for MS research.
    Evolution spans the Universe.

10. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Were the dogs served a meal too?

Every dog has its day!

12. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Thumbs up

Yes, almost everyone took a bit of food outside for the dogs. They deserved it!
    Evolution spans the Universe.

14. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member
    Blog Entries

Agate,I have cared for small dogs as a crutch user with no problem. I have never had a service dog, only pets. I did train service dogs as a job briefly though. I have Fostered larger dogs twice but found it more tiring. Dogs are always hard work as you are responsible for a living being with needs and its own soul but are SO worth it. My good friend who uses a Manuel chair was even able to handle a full grown pit bull. We adore pit bulls! Pit bulls are wonderful, kind dogs with the right owner training them. Its best to get a dog with calm personalty without a tendency to bolt away which most service dogs are. It might also be good to have an able bodied dog walker i.e "dog sitter" some of the time if your worried.

Rose, I adore the trailer! Thanks for sharing!
    Last edited by funnylegs4; 12-06-2018 at 08:05 PM.
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

16. The following 5 users say "thanks"