Thread: Carrying device to carry stuff so hands are free to propel the R2D2 wheels?

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

Default Carrying device to carry stuff so hands are free to propel the R2D2 wheels?

I spend so much time trying to transport things around the kitchen and house, dropping them etc.

Is there a carrying device like a tray or otherwise I can attach to the R2D2 (aka wheelchair) to carry stuff, so hands are free to propel the R2D2?

I see some on amazon.com. Any comments on what to look for, what you’ve had success with?

And why don’t they call them R2D2 trays? Hate the term “wheelchair”
    Last edited by Sunshine; 12-01-2018 at 02:23 AM.

2. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I spend so much time trying to transport things around the kitchen and house, dropping them etc.

Is there a carrying device like a tray or otherwise I can attach to the R2D2 (aka wheelchair) to carry stuff, so hands are free to propel the R2D2?

I see some on amazon.com. Any comments on what to look for, what you’ve had success with?

And why don’t they call them R2D2 trays? Hate the term “wheelchair”
    Hi...I can see the frustration. I bet that as you use your new home more the solutions will become more obvious. I went on YOUTube and searched and found a fellow showing how he moves around his kitchen. Basically he has a tight setup and uses one hand to push off the walls while his other hand holds a single item.

So, that YouTube video showed me that you must be very frustrated. Now you have lowered counters and there is still
    one more hurdle to jump. How do you make the best use of your accessible house? I think your journey has just begun. This is a question that all of us will explore with you!
    Last edited by Lazarus; 12-01-2018 at 05:09 AM.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

4. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

I still think when Cat gets better, she will have some of the best solutions of anyone on here. She lives this life and she is good at inventing ways to get around things.
    Virginia

6. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member nuthatch's Avatar

Totally understand your frustration, Sunshine.
    Think I've mentioned the Care Cures forum before. Mostly spinal cord injury people there but I've found it to be a very helpful and active forum for wheelchair users. When I saw your post, I looked around a bit and saw this thread that I thought you might find interesting. Might ask your question there since everyone is a wheelchair user.
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...manage-a-stove

For several years I used a drafting chair on wheels. It could be adjusted to any height, swiveled, and I could scoot around with my feet, hands free. Can't do that anymore. I'm in an electric wheelchair now, but at least it only takes one hand to operate, leaving one hand to carry things.

So many things have yet to be invented or maybe I simply don't know about some things that already exists. I just read about a tilted mirror that goes over the stove so you can see better while cooking seated . . . learn something new every day!
    https://www.allegromedical.com/daily...r-p186150.html

And this gadget is neat for those of us with weak hands or wrists.
    https://www.allegromedical.com/daily...e-p586438.html

I'm considering getting an air fryer. My brother loves his . . . no spattering grease, healthier and fast too.

Here are a number of wheelchair trays. Check it out, you might find something here.
    https://www.allegromedical.com/brows...heelchair+tray

Perhaps a new career inventing things to make handicap life easier awaits! Since all this handicap stuff is so expensive and the boomer generation is aging, you might make millions!

8. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

Wow nuthatch! Such great info! Just started to peruse the paralysis forum. Totally awesome, wish i had seen it beforehand! But it still has some great ideas. So many great ideas , many I can use even with some design flaws.

I wonder how the fella got insurance to pay for his swing away oven door?

Love the Roomba idea. Looks like my choice of tile floor was spot on.

Love the idea of the garbage through cutout in counter, instead of pull out drawer. Wish I had thought of that! Still could do it if I decide to do it.

So much to look through. Looking forward to doing it all morning long.

10. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

I hope Sunshine does become an inventor and gets really super rich, then we can all say we knew her back when.

Nuthatch, that was a good post for many people.
    Virginia

12. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm speaking only from experience with a manual chair but for years I had one of the wheelchair trays that attach to the arms with velcro straps. The one I had was a bit heavy and I had to lift it often. I used it for all meals for years. Otherwise it was satisfactory and held up well over time.

However, things could drop off of it. A taller rim around the edges might have helped. If something drops from it and you want that something off the floor, you either have to have a reacher handy or unstrap the tray to get it.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

14. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member nuthatch's Avatar

I wondered that too, Sunshine, but then I realized that most of the people on the Care Cures forum are paralyzed due to some type of accident and the insurance coverage that provides kitchen modifications may be part of a settlement with an insurance company. Those of us who have disability due to a disease seem to be plain out of luck unless the government will allow a write-off on your income taxes, but that is only for modifications deemed "necessary". The government doesn't seem to think cooking safely is necessary! I guess they think we all have help or can just manage as is. Besides, a write-off is only good if you HAVE income . . . many don't as a result of disease!

A quote from the forum - "I learned that trampolines are dangerous, I haven't gotten on one since."

16. The following 5 users say "thanks"