Thread: Article: New Method of Monitoring Embolized (coiled) Aneurysms

Cool Article: New Method of Monitoring Embolized (coiled) Aneurysms

Please click on link for photos and diagrams: http://medgadget.com/2011/11/researc...n-nuclear.html

Researchers Devise Method of Monitoring Embolized Brain Aneurysms Without Making Patients Turn Nuclear
    by Scott Jung on Nov 7, 2011 • 12:22 pm

If you’re ever unlucky enough to suffer from a cerebral aneurysm, a potentially deadly condition in which the weakened wall of an artery in the brain begins to bulge and balloon out, doctors typically will insert a “plug” made of microscopic coils of platinum to prevent blood flow to the weakened area. However, to determine if the embolization device is even working properly, a CT scan must be performed, meaning subjecting your thinker to high doses of radiation, or an angiogram, meaning probing your arteries with catheters and dyes and more radiation.

However, researchers from the University of British Columbia have discovered an interesting property of the platinum embolism implant – it can act as a fairly accurate sensor and antenna. The reason is simply that the implant’s coiled shape causes its material properties, namely its resonance frequency, to vary depending on the blood flow through it. A simple handheld RF reader is all that would be required to monitor the status of the embolization-coil sensor.

For aneurysms, early detection is crucial, as a rupture that leads to a stroke is fatal for nearly 60 percent of its victims. Such a monitoring setup would be very easy to utilize even for home use and could quickly and accurately detect blood levels through the artery, as well as possible implant failure.

Press release: UBC researchers devise new technology to monitor brain aneurysms

Abstract from Biosensors and Bioelectronics: Radio aneurysm coils for noninvasive detection of cerebral embolization failures: A preliminary study

Distinguished Community Member Ging's Avatar

Wow, double wow,this is amazing , I am so blown away, these new writings I will print for for NIR
    Thanks Julie !

And aren't we all getting visuals of little antena popping out of our head to get a good reception ala Man From UNCLE? LOL

I would LOVE to not have to get more radiation and invasive procedures for each checkup.
    Ruptured 11mm annie on 10/5/06. Left internal carotid artery. Coiled at Maine Med. Portland, ME. 16 coils. Coils compacting Dec. 2010. Stent implanted 3/16/2011 and 4 more new coils added 4/27/2011 by Dr. Ecker. Another 4mm annie discovered Dec. 2010. Older sister died from rupture 5/29/12. Smaller annie grew & was clipped in Jan. 2014. Orig. annie getting new remnant. Possible flow diversion needed now. Check out my Brain Blog: Brain Blog

Distinguished Community Member Ging's Avatar

Giggle, that is a funny vision!
    Even " My Favorite Martian" I am tired of the angios, I am all for a better way, and great strides have been made in the five years since my aneurysm was found, yay !! :)