Who I have fostered so far.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who I have fostered so far.

I think this is all of them so far. I did have six all at one time though. They have all found wonderful places and the last, the chunky dachshund I currently have, Skyler, should be in his new home by the end of the weekend. This is not counting the feral colony of at least five cats that I seem to have adopted. I have no clue why the pictures turn out so huge, does anyone know of a program I can use to scale them down so they don't come out so big?
    Attached Files

It warms my heart to know that you do this I wish more people would try to help poor animals. It breaks my spirit to hear how some animals (and people ) get treated.

Comment

The world needs far more people like you!
      SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) since December 2020.

Comment

Pet Therapy

I wouldn't want to be a day without my cats and
        the fun and love we share.. new here coffeecat

[LIST=[/LIST]

Comment

Originally posted by coffeecat View Post
          I wouldn't want to be a day without my cats and
          the fun and love we share.. new here coffeecat

[LIST=[/LIST]
          Hi coffeecat -- welcome to braintalk. I can't imagine being without my cats.

Comment

Hi Coffeecat and welcome. I have discovered that as a past dog person I have a special place in my heart for cats. Never thought I'd say that lol.

I still have chunky Doxie, his new mom is coming all the way from Illinois to get him from Flint Michigan on the 2nd of March. I have 4 ferals in my foster room with appts to be fixed and vaccinated this weekend then they will be sent to be barn cats. Heated barns only but they are feral and unadoptable so they are fed and warmed and allowed to do what they will which is keep the rodent population and the stray population down. I have gotten 3 of my possibly 7 ferals fixed, taken on an elderly man and his pets as outreach. He is old fashioned and believes dogs should be outside. He loves that dog but he is old school. So some education and dog house fortifying, getting their kitty fixed, and their bird fed and checked is on the agenda. Took a lot to get that man to let his dog inside but his heart softened. so he is working with me and so many of the local volunteers and outreach and rescue people reached out to him but I am the one he and his sister chose and so everybody is pissed off and now don't want to help. The rescue world is brutal. It is too bad, crap played out online for the whole world to see. I stay out of it. I have only one goal and that is to help as many animals as I can.

Comment

hey chris!

i have all my pics in one place and a relatively new desktop pc. i can go to my pics and left click the mouse on a pic and it'll ask me if i want to open it in "paint" or "windows". both have a photo editing program. i can crop out the background and resize the pics by any percentage i choose, like half or quarter size. some mail systems, like hotmail (outlook) also have a program that lets you edit photos. you can try sending yourself the full size photo in email and see if you can use your email's editor or just click on the pic from your pic file. if you have a tablet or something other than a desktop pc, i'm lost, but you could check out the programs on your computer and see if you have "paint"

you know, i just don't understand why ppl have to be so petty. so what that you built a rapport with the older man and now he trusts you to help him? isn't that part of the aim of a rescue group to get the confidence of ppl so that they can be helped? smh. why can't they just be happy someone helped, whether you or someone else? just do what you do and like you said, stay out of the swamp of jealousy and pettiness.

thanks for sharing your rescue pics!
              jeannie
              Last edited by tic chick; 02-13-2019, 08:31 PM.
              WE ARE BT!
              "The world is a better place when you're barefoot." Mark
              "Don't go there unless you know the way back." TC
              "...there will be an answer. Let it be." Paul McCartney

Comment

Thanks Jeannie, yes I know how to use paint and have a couple different program and while my thumbnails are also posted they are closer to normal size. This is the only place where my pics turn out ginormous. I can post same things on FB and it looks normal lol. I will try cropping and post some new pics and see if I can gets size down.

Yes the horrible things that rescue and foster and just nosy people, the armchair rescuers say about each other actually gets down to where attorneys are called and the often terrible things done to other people is sad. I got in thinking it is all about the animals but so many look at it as another notch in their belt. I am going to have to cut out the outreach as it is costing me money. My community cat people are pretty much paying for food for the cats but I have two bags to take to them that were donated. Still have my four that need to be trapped soon but they are backed by WAG. For any of you that go on FB WAG is a rescue +. Los Gatos Cat Rescue is who I am fostering for right now. Mr. Skyler is from Dachshund Haus Rescue. They can all be found on FB if anyone feels like giving donations or just taking a peek. My FB page is Christina Hough (Sywyk). Nothing wrong with posting it here once you join FB you're screwed cause the whole world knows your business
                Last edited by houghchrst; 02-14-2019, 04:24 AM.

Comment

These are my ferals. in the ginormous cage I have two kittens and an adult. All three black. Would love to rehab the two kitties instead of releasing them wild. But in the other double cage is Miss Ripley. I named her on the fly and then immediately I thought of Ripley from the Alien movie and thought it was perfectly appropriate. She is tough as nails. Feral through and through. She is separate because she is oldest and we think she was not originally with this group of ferals as she had already been spay and ear tipped. I need to check better next time because I never noticed she was tipped. They had to be removed from an apartment complex they were hanging around so now we are looking for a barn for them and I just found out from my rescue group that I am the one responsible for finding them a new home. Nice, missed that in the booklet lol. I have no clue but I have made an official inquiry. It was a no.

Lots more to do, have five cats that are to be vetted this month, skyler goes to his new momma on the 2nd but am waiting on family home video for their adoption finalization. Taking forever and am wondering if she is changing her mind. Rescue is also taking in 7 ER cases of relinquished doxies so I may be up for one, not sure yet. Takes me all morning to get through all the rescues and needs posts. Okay I have run out of stuff to say, what do you know lol.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Well I still have the three black feral kitties and now I have rescued another one to take Miss Ripley's place. She is a friendly. Family dumped her outside and quit feeding her cause she had fleas last fall. So in Michigan once you throw your cat outside it becomes a community cat and is up for the grabbing so after days of trying to offer help for their animals and them not feeding her I snatched her up. Unfortunately she has a big belly, I am hoping it is a quick fix like worms and she is not pregnant. If it is worms then she can be adopted out immediately after her spay next week but kittens is a whole different story. I am in for it lol.

I started a fundraiser for my birthday on Facebook. It is so I can foster more of a variety of animals. I need a fenced run cause these guys need to run and poor Skyler isn't getting any decent exercise, me neither but my pain levels are extreme, and what I need to make the patio more cat friendly, screen and such. What I need and the amount of money I asked for are different but I figure every little bit helps. This is my donation link. Amazingly enough I actually have more than I dreamed. Less than I hoped but more than I dreamed. It is going until the 21st

Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

Sweet Skyler has become our forever foster. His adopter backed out and his rescue practically begged me to be his forever foster. He is ours but they pay for food and vetting. He knows it too, his behavior is different, he is more open and active and actually played with a toy the other day. Something he has not done since he has been here. Poor guy, I was his fourth home. So he stays. His attitude kind of reminds me of my Brody. Very serious yet funny and loving. Dash hugs begrudgingly lol.

Comment

Hey, Christine (is that right?)
                      How's that Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register... going? I sure hope it is doing well. There should be lots of gifts for what you are doing ... kind, incredible work with needy animals.

Comment

Thank you for asking Jingle, Christina, my mom had to fight to get the hospital to change it on my birth certificate they put Christine and she was very upset lmao. People have been very kind and I have almost reached my asking goal. I really need like $300 more but I will have to manage what I can with what I get. It ends on Sunday.

Well I only got two of the last four of Tommy's Ferals as that is what I am calling my community cats, he is the man who lives in the house where the cats hang out and he cares for them as best he can. I vet and he and a neighbor feed. He wants to take in a calico female as his own. She and a big ole tom are evading my traps lol. Tommy can actually catch the calico so I will take him a trap and let him put her in it. So I did trap two of the four, got a female spay and returned and trapped a litttle bitty guy who has a bad eye. Vet says it could have been born with it or it was an injury. He seems to be blind in it but it does not seem to be causing him any discomfort. He is on antibiotics to stop any secondary infections from his cold and some meds to help him stay calm so he will be more manageable and to relieve any discomfort he is feeling. A rescue group is paying for his vetting and we are waiting to see if he needs his eye removed. Hopefully not and it will necrotize calmly and quietly. He is only about 6 months old if that. By his behavior I believe him to have been born and raised in a home and tossed out either because of fleas or his eye to fend for himself. I had one rescue group tell me that it would be cruel to put a one eyed kitten back out in the community because of it's supposed chances of survival so euthanasia would be a likely outcome. I am thinking, come one, there are literally thousands of one eyed feral cats surviving out there. That made me mad and that is who I am currently fostering the three ferals which I still have and the new pick up for. One other told me it would be cruel to not return him to his colony and forcing him to be an indoor cat and another who told me that if a cat is tameable then it would be unfair to not give it a chance for a good life. So I am doing me, we will work with this little man and see if we can befriend him and find him a wonderful home. I have named him after the one eyed Viking character Odin who traded his eye for wisdom. Melvin just wasn't cutting it lolol.
                        So I have taken him under my wing and am going to see if I can save this little guy.

My tossed out kitty has been named Raven, has been spay, vetted, is FIV and Feline Leukemia negative. Had her first adoption event yesterday and got a lot of interest so she will find a great home fast. I can't wait until they find a barn for the three ferals I really need that space for Odin. I had to take him out of his ginormous home out there in the garage because it was too cold. Now he is in a carrier set up in the house. I want him to get use to the sights and sounds anyway.

Wrote this yesterday and then forgot to post the dang thing. In the meantime little Odin is coming out of his shell, I have discovered that he doesn't mind dogs, loves head butts and catnip. He has the run of my room now, knows how to use his litter box, isn't afraid to explore. I think this little man will be just fine and will be totally adoptable. I will find out next week if they will sew his eye shut.

GOt the request last night to help with 5 community kittens and mama. Can't take any more on. Am already bordering on being overwhelmed.

Comment

I am thrilled to announce that not only did little Odin not have to have his eye removed but she was able to cut away some of the sclera that had scarred over it so while he does have a cloudy spot in the middle of his lens he has a perfectly normal iris and pupil. He lets me handle him and he purrs. Strange sometimes he hides under the bed when I come in the room but once we are in there he comes out. He keeps his distance, I have to surprise pet his back then he relaxes and starts purring. He has a cone of shame on but it keeps him from rubbing and scratching until it is healed. It is driving him nuts lol, he scratches and tries to bathe but he can't. Poor guy is even nerve wracking to watch. He does not hiss or scratch when handled so I know he is not feral, wrong place right time I guess. I am really thinking somebody put him out due to his eye. I would like to take him over there and knock on doors and say hey see what you threw away!? A perfectly good kitten. Your loss someone else's gain. I am sure they wouldn't care but giving them a piece of my mind would make me feel better lol. I would probably just give them my card and vetting info and be nice, ugh!

He still has the run of my bedroom during the day but goes into his carrier during the night. I do not sleep with cats because cats are nocturnal and I keep my bedroom door closed and I cherish my sleep lol. I am looking forward to letting him explore the house but I have to be sure it is not too soon. He doesn't have any where he could really hide just three pieces of furniture he could get behind.

Comment

These are my last three cats for now. I have had them for a while. Little Odin has become a foster fail, Jared is in love and I don't know how long it would take to adopt out a kitty with his eye healing still so we are keeping the little man. He has really come out of his shell and plays with the cats and just ignores or hisses at the dogs. They leave him alone.

Raven is up for adoption, she is in what they call Kitty City at a Petsmart location. They have a room that is open to the public that has big cages for adoptables and each cat gets their chance to be in the room for a month. On weekends they have their adoption event where the fosters bring their rescues in and put them on show. They have adopted out thousands of cats to good homes. They are very picky where kitty goes and make sure they have their vetting and are microchipped.

Last is Miss Louise. She came in with the group of ferals they started out untouchable but now Louise has decided that she is feeder friendly. So Los Gatos has decided that she deserves a chance to become adoptable so I am working with her to get her there. The two baby ferals have found their forever home in a warm community cat colony in the thumb of the state. So three ferals saved and rehomed, one soon to be adoptable and one that already is up for adoption.

Little Odin before and after.

Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

This is sweet Raven

Miss Louise

<strong>

Two videos, I hope you can see them it wouldn't let me outright put them here but these should be watchable links. I don't have any good pics of Louise yet.

Yes that is my fat self in the Louise video, y'all get to see how i look. I don't think I even had my front teeth in there. I only meant to share it with one other person but what the heck.

I have informed Los Gatos that I will no longer be able to long term foster for them. I can do ER holds or a week or two but no more months at a time. I think it holds me back from helping more animals.

My outdoors is almost ready, I have the catio officially cat safe but lots to do to it still. Most of my fencing supplies purchased and ready to break ground before it gets solid and becomes a nightmare to work with.
                            Attached Files

Comment

aaaaaaggh --- I can't see either of the videos... "This Video Is Unavailable"
                              But congratulations on all the good work you do.

Comment

Working...
                              X