Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are you preparing for Christmas?

Distinguished Community Member tic chick's Avatar

sorry, double post. forgetting how things work here :(
    Last edited by tic chick; 12-03-2018 at 10:33 AM.
    Here's to good women. May we know them. May we be them. May we raise them.
    "The world is a better place when you're barefoot." Mark
    "Don't go there unless you know the way back." TC
    "...there will be an answer. Let it be." Paul McCartney

Distinguished Community Member houghchrst's Avatar
    Blog Entries

hey all, Jeannie I remember those vine trees, I think we saw them at the market and you mentioned to me you were going to get one. do you decorate it? is it easy to decorate? I have people in my neighborhood who decorate the day after thanksgiving. I was going to beat them this year but the lady next door put out a snowman Thanksgiving night lol.

You all are so ambitious with the baking. I don't bake for Christmas unless I am having company or giving baked goods for gifts.

My shopping is done, thank goodness for Amazon who had everything I wanted at great prices, having the honey app and the ebates app helped immensely.

Got my outdoor Christmas stuff out and everything is glowing. Not sure if I want to mess with lights out there or not. Am considering getting out the new fake tree and putting it up. It is early for me. I usually wait until a week or two until Christmas but we had a wonderful fall day Saturday so I put them up. Sweater weather. Bizarre.

3. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

So it's a tree made entirely of vines, about 6 feet high? That's so unusual and impressive!

tic chick, I've heard quite a few reports on colonscopies from people, and you are the very first one to say you're not bothered by them. Nearly everyone else has made them sound like a nightmare.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

5. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member jingle's Avatar

Maybe something like a vine tree would work with my cats. Nothing stops them --- one of their favorite napping places is on top of my 6 ft tall freezer.

Tomorrow night is the Ladies' Christmas party at church. This is the first one for me and I'm really looking forward to it. I've been working fixing nice food to take.
    Could I ask what your favorite food is for Christmas?

7. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

My favorite food at Christmas is pumpkin pie. My family had it at Thanksgiving and Christmas. Now, Peter and I buy from Wholefoods - it tastes just like my Mom’s. It’s good for dessert, of course, but also makes a good breakfast warmed in the microwave.

ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

9. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Pumpkin pie is good at any time on any occasion, IMO.

I was particularly fond of anise cookies my mother used to make. Years ago I tried and tried to get that recipe to turn out right. I even tried several other recipes that I looked up. I just never got them the way they were when she made them. She was already gone by the time I was doing this experiment, or I'd have asked her what the trick was.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

11. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member jingle's Avatar

Tonight I'm going to attempt to make some divinity. It's raining with a high humidity and that says - don't make divinity, but I would like to have this for my church's Christmas celebration Sunday night and the forecast says it will rain until then. I really want some divinity -- it's part of Christmas.

13. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member houghchrst's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Looks as though this may be the year without a Christmas tree at my house unless I can find a real, little tree. My kitten immediately started climbing in my fake tree as soon as I opened a box of lights. Hadn't messed with it all night but seems he is psychic and knew I was ready to do something with that tree. I am kind of glad he did it then because I have some heirloom ornaments and had he waited and knocked over the tree and broke something I would be very upset. So I decorated the inside of the living room with Christmas lights so it is very festive. If I don't find a tree before Xmas no big deal we have decided.

Y'all I have probably 14 bins and boxes of Christmas decorations, one of those which is a big one full of non working string lights. They are a great source of replacement bulbs. This year I put out maybe 8 tiny xmas decor in bathroom and maybe 4 in living room. I have all those boxes that haven't been gone through lol. I just don't have the energy. Every year I will admit that I do scale down on that a little bit. I have made myself stop buying Xmas decor at yard sales and flea markets unless it is a great outdoor decoration. I could really use those.

My favorite is cherry pie. I love it my grandma use to always have cherry, apple and pumpkin pie and a big tub of vanilla ice cream. Not real fond of pumpkin anything. Sounds blasphemous lol

My mom always had a different spin on Christmas dinner. After thanksgiving we are kind of sick of turkey and ham so for Christmas we got to pick what we wanted, One year we made individual home made pizzas, all kinds of toppings but most asked for was her cannelloni. I have never seen it made the way she made it and it was gastronomically fantastic. I have never even deigned to recreate it but my oldest brother makes it quite frequently for himself.

New Years was always my mom's fried chicken because the day after was oldest bro's b'day and that was one of his favorite things from her.

15. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12