Thread: Happy Thanksgiving! and update...

Distinguished Community Member

Default Happy Thanksgiving! and update...

I hope that everyone had a blessed and happy Thanksgiving. I am thankful for all the gifts my family has been blessed with. We had dinner at Patrick's new apartment with our family and his girl friends family. Today is Patrick's birthday but we celebrated it yesterday and helped trim his tree. Kathleen adores Patrick and loved shopping for his birthday.
    This is the newest family picture from yesterday.
    46744427_10100559989299103_4069740847380299776_o.jpg

This week Kathleen has had a very stuffy nose and not sleeping well but I think today it has turned a corner and it's clearing a little. We picked up 2 new AFO's at Shriners last week. She's still getting adjusted to them. Her left has a slight lift in it since her leg is slightly shorter and it's also meant to help keep her knee from hyperextending. I finally got back to the gym and hopefully will get Kathleen back and that will help her adjust to her AFO's. Now on to getting some Xmas shopping started. I did go out Black Friday with Kelly. It's become our littel tradition to go out very early with our cup of coffee and be home before anyone else is awake LOL.
    Keeping my friends here in my prayers for good health and happiness throughout the holiday season.
    Mary Grace

2. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up

((((((Mary Grace)))))) ~

Thank you for sharing this wonderful photo of your beautiful family. Great smiles! The love just glows around all of you.

Did Kathleen have a cold or an allergy? I'm glad that she's feeling better, and I hope that she adjusts quickly to her new AFOs.

How brave you are to go out on Black Friday! Even when I was able, I didn't partake, because I'm not a fan of big crowds and waiting in line. I do all of my shopping on line, including our groceries. Today, I took advantage of Cyber Monday.

How is your weather? Do you have snow?

Wishing your family a very healthy and happy holiday season!

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 49, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad.

4. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Thank you Rose! I love hen we can be all together!
    Kathleen seemed to be getting better but now I think it's getting worse again. If it doesn't seem better today I think I'll have to break down and take her to an urgent care to see if it's maybe a sinus infection. She has no fever but she doesn't run fevers much. Even with strep last year her temp. was barely over 100 and took all day till it even reached that.
    the last coupe of years we haven't really ran into crowds since stores are open on Thanksgiving day lately. I refuse to shop on Thanksgiving, I don't believe the stores should be open, this is family time! One year Kelly and I went with friends to some outlet stores at midnight. That was a lot of fun. We stayed up all night and drank a lot of coffee. I do some shopping online...
    We've had very cold weather for November! We've also had more snow than usual for November. Snowed a couple inches this morning even though the weatherman said just rain LOL. I don't mind the snow too much since I do't have to actually drive in it.
    So far the AFO's seem to be ok with no red spots...
    Mary Grace

6. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Mary Grace)))))) ~

I'm glad that Kathleen's AFOs are working out okay for her. I hope that she is feeling better and doesn't have a sinus infection. Does she have a headache or any other symptoms?

I agree that stores should close on Thanksgiving, but our holidays have become so commercialized with greedy corporations after our dollars that I can't see that happening.

For me, shopping on line is a true blessing, especially now that I'm older and less mobile. For much of my life, I had to take my boys in their wheelchairs with me to shop, which was a lot of work. Or, I'd use my work lunch hour to shop/run errands. When I stopped working outside our home, I shopped while the boys were in school. It's hard to enjoy shopping, when you're on a time clock.

Since it's a really cold November for you, I hope that the winter months won't be too harsh.

Please let us know how Kathleen is doing. Healing prayers on the way ~

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 49, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad.

8. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

I adore the picture! Happy Thanksgiving! I'm glad the AFO is working out so far. If she has lack of sensation from the stroke I'm very glad you are watching for red irritated areas on the leg. Hope Kathleen feels better! Thanks for sharing!
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

10. The following user says "thanks"

Rose thank you always for the healing prayers. I love the Christmas season, but what I love has nothing to do with gifts or shopping. I love the sounds and sights, the music and beautiful lights and trees. I'm very thankful that you can get all your shopping done without the stress and exposure to illness of the crowds.

Funnylegs, Thank you I feel like it's been a while since I've been able to get a picture of my whole family.
    Kathleen does have a lack of sensation on her left side so yes I really have to be diligent at watching for redness or blisters. Her left hand has lack of sensation as well so she has been known to pick at a hangnail until it's bleeding without blinking an eye.

I took Kathleen to urgent care on Tuesday. I got there a couple minutes before they opened so we got right in with only one other person i the whole place. I worry about all the exposure to other illnesses when I go there. She did have a sinus infection so they gave her an antibiotic. Luckily she doesn't take antibiotics very often. This is only the second time in several years. She showed almost immediate improvement. But her poor nose is raw and that will take a while to heal up.
    Mary Grace

12. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mg12061 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Rose thank you always for the healing prayers. I love the Christmas season, but what I love has nothing to do with gifts or shopping. I love the sounds and sights, the music and beautiful lights and trees. I'm very thankful that you can get all your shopping done without the stress and exposure to illness of the crowds.

Funnylegs, Thank you I feel like it's been a while since I've been able to get a picture of my whole family.
    Kathleen does have a lack of sensation on her left side so yes I really have to be diligent at watching for redness or blisters. Her left hand has lack of sensation as well so she has been known to pick at a hangnail until it's bleeding without blinking an eye.

I took Kathleen to urgent care on Tuesday. I got there a couple minutes before they opened so we got right in with only one other person i the whole place. I worry about all the exposure to other illnesses when I go there. She did have a sinus infection so they gave her an antibiotic. Luckily she doesn't take antibiotics very often. This is only the second time in several years. She showed almost immediate improvement. But her poor nose is raw and that will take a while to heal up.
    Mary Grace
    Hi Mary Grace, You're very welcome! Kathleen's smile and pose are my favorite! Such a joyous woman she is! Yes my teacher recently told me he had the exact same type of numbness down his effected side(I believe his right side was the numb side but I could be wrong) and when he more recently gained sensation back a lot of the other symptoms he had also went away(so far, crossing fingers for no dizziness) which I'm thrilled about for him! So there's a chance Kathleen can also get some of that sensation back as the years pass. The fact that she has numbness is a sign she likely felt zero pain during the stroke itself according to my teacher friend as I told you in the other thread. I have sensation in my feet but some of my sensation in my lower half is a bit reduced so my physical therapists were always on me about checking for red areas etc. It wasn't until I was a teenager that I realized I had reduced feeling and sought to improve it. Hmmm...Can you teach Kathleen to cut the hangnails off with a kid scissor safely?
    In regards to her raw nose, I usually put a small ice pack rapped in a towel on my nose after a cold or flu and the normal color comes back really fast then the raw feeling goes away. Have you ever tried that?
    Last edited by funnylegs4; 11-30-2018 at 11:07 AM.
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php