I never thought I would

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I never thought I would

find myself becoming a cat person. I have always had and loved dogs, mostly big dogs which oddly enough I don't have, I have a loud mouthed, sawed off, spoiled rotten Dachshund that we adore, my son's cat Belladonna which I refer to as the asscat because she is a sweet meanie and my foster fail Chunk whose entire family I fostered.

I remember being about 8 and we moved into a house that had a garage out back we were banned from because it was decrepit and had cats in it. My six year old little brother got a hold of one of those kittens and it gave him cat scratch fever. The main female and youngsters I now think may have lived there and when they moved they left them there. Too young to know that then. The female became pregnant early winter and she had her kittens under our front porch, my mom took her in because it was so cold out. My stepfather made her take them kittens back outside, she did what she could for them but I don't remember if they survived or not.

I started off rescuing dogs, well attempting anyway, at the age of about 9. I remember a Newfoundland had wandered onto our corner lot and attached it's sweet self to a small girl for about three days. I wanted him. He was almost as big as I was tall. He was so friendly that my mom let me play with him, he would wander off and then come back but he stopped coming around so hoped he found his home.
    Growing up I always wanted to be a vet. Once I got older and got past the phase where I only thought of myself I would find the occasional stray who actually looked they had a home and was happy to reunite grateful owners. One was even from out of state and was getting ready to fly back home after search for dog was fruitless. I posted ad for her Pomeranian and she was thrilled to have him back. She'd come for the holidays with family. Cats that have been hurt or trapped, dogs that needed rescuing went to caring people.

But ever since I started fostering I seem to wind up with more cats, they are so easy, they are so self sufficient. I have absolutely fallen in love with our cats. My son says they're made of liquid and sometimes when they crawl in my lap or lay on my chest that is what they feel like, warm, soft liquid.

So I am adopting a group of feral cats that is in my son's neighborhood. They are wild so all that can be done is to get them speutered, rabies, healthy and fed and give them someplace warm. I made my first winter cat shelter to put on a neighbors property, he is the one doing most of the feeding. He also has dog houses. I got my Michigan TNR number by taking a class that will get me either discounted or free vetting depending on the place I take them too. I have to go and see about getting some traps and get some things ready to start collecting them.

So glad to hear you are fostering. When I was young I always had a at or kittens to play with. I loved dogs to but they grew faster than I did and we aeldome had enough scraps to feed dogs. Wadis get a white spitDog when I was really young and it was run over y time I was 13. Sad

On a lighter note my granddaughter has been working in a vets office. There was a white long hair kitten blue eyes she fell in love with. Her dad is allergic esp. To long hair ones so she asked if I would keep it for her until she can move out.

She does come get the kitten every time her dad leaves to go hunting. So far so good. Hubby & I both
    Ove that kitten my older cat gets along fair with it. No fighting. Oh yes that kitten can growl & make a 160 pound mastic dog back up Lol

T

Comment

Joy so happy to hear from you. I envy your grand daughter, I have always wanted to be a vet or work for a vet. At fourteen I went to a local vet and asked for a job, even just cleaning crud out of cages but alas he said I was too young and to come back. Drinking and drugs took over my life around that time and I seem to have missed my calling.

Comment

I wonder how many of us miss our calling ............

Comment

Being a vet

chris you would be wonderful not to mention how lucky the animals would be. Unfortunately all granddaughter got to do was clean out cages etc. she did pick up some knowledge but she was wanting more. So now her new plan is to become a beautition. I told her I had at least 6 friends that became beautitions but gave it up for various reasons.

She already has enough going on to injure herself as she is still rodeoing. This past weekend she hit a metal barrel while doing barrels,& this is not the 1st time.

Most of the reasons my friends gave up doing hair was because of it being so hard on their body. So we shall see. She already knows she can only miss 4 Saturday’s during the whole class time. She has remarked oh goody I can go to 4 rodeos. Ah youth. , lol.

Comment

Working...
          X