Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shingles vaccine

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SuzE-Q View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just talked to ny pcp and we're planning on the vaccine in the next couple weeks, just have to clear my schedule to have time that I can be homebound for a week , if I need to, since I reacted to pneumonia vaccine due to increased temp caused by it. So, I'll just expect to be sick for a few days then.

Virginia, thanks for the cautionary advice! I have had an old valtrex prescription in my medicine cabinet too, but it's probably lost all efficacy if your doc was worried about yours after only being a year old. Mine is a number of years old now, I think.

Agate, my doctor's office had shingrix brochures, it says clearly in them that they have no data past 4 years. Or they're not reporting it anyway. Guess I'll just be in the same boat as a lot of other people then. My concern was ensuring I had coverage at times I'll be more at risk, I didn't want to get it early if I might not be able to be protected later on by it, or another one.
    Shingrix became available only recently. There probably just isn't any data beyond 4 years.

I found this recent article in Consumer Reports:

https://www.consumerreports.org/shin...-availability/

Yes, I'll plan to be feeling badly for about a week after getting this vaccine. However, if it's any comfort, I had a very bad reaction to the pneumonia vaccine but the earlier shingles vaccine (Zostavax) gave me no problems at all.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

2. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It seems there's a nationwide shortage of this vaccine, and it's becoming a problem.

https://www.oregonlive.com/health/20...mpid=931116601
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

4. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member SuzE-Q's Avatar

Yes, I can't get mine until January, apparently.
    Please Note that my posts may have been arbitrarily altered by a Moderator and may not reflect my original content.

Per Mike Weins: "...the admin/mod team doesn't have to provide a forewarning/warning/mention about altering a members post. It doesn't matter if they fix a link, remove a link, fix a typo, or whatever...."

6. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

We were able to get it at our local independent pharmacy. But then again, we have been long time patrons. They even deliver. And personable. What more could one ask for?

8. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Shingles is bad stuff!!!

10. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Welcome to the forum Anna!

I agree with you that shingles is bad stuff. I am still suffering the after affects of a bout on my face from back in the fall. I keep thinking will the itching never go away?

You sound as though you have also had first hand experience with this dreadful stuff. If so, I hope you recovered completely.
    Virginia

12. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Got first shengrix vaccine yesterday. Hope they do not give out again before i get second one in two to 6 months. Everywhere around here seems to have it right now!
    Virginia

14. The following 3 users say "thanks"

i wouldnt get it
    "Here's an unpopular opinion: I'm actually not at all concerned about innocent men losing their jobs over false sexual assault/harassment allegations. Sorry. If some innocent men's reputations have to take a hit in the process of undoing the patriarchy, that is a price I am absolutely willing to pay." Teen Vogue writer Emily Lindin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12