Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Not a cheery article on access but satisfying to read...??maybe from Huffington Post

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by agate View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    funnylegs, I must be very lucky. No doctor or clinic that I go to blasts anything. I don't believe there's a TV in any waiting room. There are lots of people absorbed in their phone conversations, though!
    Same here Agate. But whether it is the tv or people talking on their smart phones or texting on them or reading on their kindles, there is a vast sea of people occupying space in proximity of each other but making no human connection. The citizen to citizen connection is broken. We should reread Fahrenheit 451. It is no longer a futuristic novel. The future is now.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

2. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

Funnylegs, you and I have similar issues. Loud noises, TV etc stiffens our legs. It’s terrible. I might say something to the worst offender next time I see him.

I have three docs with no tv on, but one has quiet radio playing to mask the noise coming from secretary phone calls. Quiet radio and tv sound also triggers spasticity for me. I can’t tolerwte it in the car or the house either, unless it’s so low it’s bsrely detectable

4. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member nuthatch's Avatar

The hospital emergency waiting room where I live, has a small separate glassed-in room with a TV on for those who are waiting for whatever reason, to watch if you wish. There is a much larger quiet area to wait in also.

I think many medical offices play soft music to ease the nerves of patients as they wait and also to provide a little privacy if a patient has to converse with the receptionist. There is nothing worse than feeling like everyone in the waiting room is listening to every word when you are called to the "window" for whatever reason.

I agree with Laz, that so much human connection is gone. I see most people avert their gaze all too often, rather than treat others, including those obviously disabled, as human beings with feelings. A kind smile would suffice. All too often, the wheelchair makes me feel like the elephant in the room!

After seeing the doctor, then waiting at the desk for the next appointment to be made, I usually engage the receptionist in a little chit chat unless they are very busy. Knowing that the office girls the dress up for Halloween, I commented that I bet we missed seeing some good costumes this year since it was the day after. We were lamenting that neither of us had any trick-or-treaters when a man's voice from the far corner of the room joined in the conversation, telling us he had 232 come to his door. He actually got up, came over and joined the friendly conversation. It was nice to see the human interaction.

I can sense when people are unapproachable but a kind smile or nod is harmless and may brighten someone's day.
    Last edited by nuthatch; 11-13-2018 at 08:42 PM.

6. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Community Member

I am very fortunate that I have not been to an office like this.
    Jan
    "never let it be too late"

8. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Some medical facilities I go to have a roped off area around the reception desk, with a sign asking patients to stay back to safeguard the privacy of other patients, who are discussing their personal finances and other matters with the receptionists.

I agree that people don't want everyone in the waiting room to hear their insurance details, their phone numbers or whatever other information they need to provide.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

10. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

I try to respect other people's space even if they do not have it roped off. I am careful about getting too close.
    Virginia

12. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member renee's Avatar

Did the author mention what city, state he lives in?

14. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Looks as if she's in Oakland, CA:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/author/ace-ratcliff
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

16. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12