Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast

Thread: OT November Chit Chat

Distinguished Community Member

Virginia, I'm so sorry about your brother. All those falls is never a good thing. Getting him in to rehab is probably the best option for now.

Yes, getting doctors coordinated is a good thing. My health care service has everything electronic now, so any doctor or health professional can simply log in and find out anything she needs to know. Or I can tell them to log in. My records are so long now it probably eats up most of their bits and bytes! :)

My cats wake up when the first light shows. One will wait patiently until we get up. The other demands his breakfast NOW!!!! So TC rolls out of bed, feeds them, then crashes back into bed for an hour..

2. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Ann, so glad things went well for you this morning. Now on to the next thing. Just got to get you to a point that you can eat.

Agate, his daughter and I had a long conversation Friday while she and her husband were on there way to S.C. to see my brother. She understands the importance of what I am saying about one person looking at the whole person. I asked her about the possibility of getting him to some place (would take a referral) like Duke or even maybe someplace closer to where he lives if there is such a place. They work in teams and each person does his own thing and then they come together to consult. The problem is that she has already stayed down there 5 full weeks since he first broke his leg. She works. She also has taken off odd days to go down for the week-end, like Friday and today. Her husband also took off. Another daughter has taken off almost as much and has run down on the week-ends. She was going to try and talk to him while she was there this week-end.

By the way, they are now saying his wife has vasculitis not cellulitis.

The main problem with this situation is that they live so far away. Everyone in their family works and it is just a bad situation as far as that goes.
    Virginia

4. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

That is a big relief in. I am sure that you and Peter are celebrating!

Virginia, I wonder if you can enlist the aid of the hospital social worker to get these doctors to coordinate with one another. This sounds like very bad care and I’m sure you were quite worried about it. Rightfully so.

6. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Cool

Alright, where is everyone. Everyone else has a better half to talk to, but me, the loan wolf....HOWL!!!! only has Sam, and she stays pretty quiet most of the time.
    Evolution spans the Universe.

8. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

ANN ~

So glad that your endoscopy didn't uncover any issues, and you were able to go out and about after the procedure. You're doing great in the "ruling out" category! One more test to go ~ you're in my prayers.

Virginia ~

Not being able to get up from the floor is scary. I'm glad that you found a way. I have a rule now: Don't get on my knees or sit on the floor, unless somehow vitally necessary. I know my limitations, so I avoid doing anything that I know will compromise me.

I have a grabber, which is handy for picking stuff up off of the floor, reaching to top shelves or under furniture to get something. If I can't get it, it stays there. Perhaps you could ask the woman, who cleans your home, to retrieve whatever items might be out of your reach.

I'm so sorry about your brother and all of his trials. I agree with Sunshine that a professional needs to be involved now to coordinate all of his needs.

And I suggest that your brother needs a 24 hour caregiver. Your sister-in-law is unable to care for your brother. And their children are going to wear out going back and forth, missing work, stressing, which isn't good for their health.

Your brother and sister need to have 24 hour caregivers to help prevent falls and other calamities. If they remain in their home, it should be converted to accommodate their needs as much as possible, and they need to have caregivers, working in shifts. If they leave their home, they should be in an intermediate care environment, at least.

I've been through this with my family, and am watching it happening to John's family with his mother.

A time comes, when it's no longer safe or sensible for our loved ones to live alone. And the challenge of meeting their needs exhausts their family members.

If they can't get professional help through the Rehab center or hospital or your brother's primary care physician, then they should start investigating available alternatives for their parents' care. Otherwise, no one's needs are being met in the family. And it's just constant chaos.

Here's a Google search, which might help them get started:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Soth...nt=firefox-b-1

It's a difficult and strenuous situation, but it can and should be made easier for families like yours. If help isn't offered, then we need to ask for it.

Cherie ~

I hope your home is restored as it should be. You have such a busy schedule, and I'm amazed at all that you do. Thank you for your advocacy.

Sunshine ~

I hope you're okay with moving. I'm excited for you to be in your new home.

To All ~

You're in my prayers always ~

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 49, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad.

10. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Rose, thanks for the information you researched for me. Their home does pretty much accommodate their needs and that is a good thing. Even though it is not by any means an older home my brother had just in the past year or so had a new bath put in that has grab bars and a walk in shower. He had it done upscale and I have heard it is beautiful.

One problem is my sister-in-law is a little bit of an airhead. No one they bring is probably going to satisfy her. The lady they had for 4 hours every day has not satisfied her. She says this lady talks too much and sits down with them and talks about family things. There will always be something wrong with everyone she gets. I did discuss this situation with my Niece when we talked Friday and I expressed my concern that they need someone all the time. I understand the children's position. They hesitate to say things that they ordinarily would say because this is not their Mother. My brother was a widower and married her long after the children were grown. She has two daughters of her own. Hopefully they will all get together on this situation.

Howie, I do not have a better half. I don't even have a Sam. However, if I was married, I would be the better half.
    Virginia

12. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Good one, Virginia.

ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

14. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Cherie's Avatar

This evening I sat down to organize my emails. I put several things on "hold" over the past 2 weeks and now realize there was so much work there and need for attention that it is not even close to funny. I have been asked to serve on three more National health care advisory committees. One is way out of my comfort zone and expertise. One is intriguing and looks like fun but not really where I think I might be the most help with the least effort. The final committee is right down my alley (advising the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services) helping them to hear and know what the people they serve really and and what is important to them. I spent a little over 2 hours tonight filling out the on line application for the committee that I have been told I am already on and it will net a substantial Honorarium but needs at least 6 hours of webinar time between now and April 1 and several hours of prep time and "homework" leading up to the big face to face meeting in Arlington , VA at the end of April next year. Howie????

Tomorrow we vote. Raining pretty steadily here now with temps tickling 50. Dave and I got several pieces of artwork and photos rehung in the dining room and are working at cleaning up the plaster dust and construction debris as we do. It feels so much nicer here now than it did this morning. Still not quite done but we have gotten a great deal done.

16. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Jeanie Z's Avatar

Smile

:) Today I was headed down the driveway to get the mail. My scooter front end broke off and I had a hard time getting it back into the house. I had punched the panic button and paramedics were on the way.

As I tried to get it over the threshold it tipped all the way over and my soda in the basket began spilling. Also I landed on the floor. The neighbor lady across the street saw me in the doorway and asked if I was okay. I said no I am on the floor.

She brought one of the men from her house and she got my spare scooter from the back bedroom and brought it to where I was on the floor.Then she and the man she brought over lifted me to standing and onto the scooter seat.

The frame from the front wheel broke in pieces and will need welding. The paramedics arrived and did not have to help me. Jim is going to come get my scooter and take it to his welder. It seems there is always something breaking or getting old.

Verizon cut off my cell phone because Visa issued me a new card with a different date and code. Tomorrow I have to go vote and go to Verizon. I am happy I did not hurt myself when it threw me off. I do not like DSTime. Jeanie :)

18. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Jeanie, I am just so glad you were not hurt. I think I have heard you say you do not like the scooter you are using now. I hope they get the one that broke fixed soon, and really good. It does seem like it is always something.

Cherie, sounds like you are gearing up to be busy again. I think the one that you feel best suited for might be right down your ally. After all you have always helped the elderly. Hope you are able to come to a good decision about which ones to do and which ones not to do. Glad the house is looking better. That will make you fell better.
    Virginia

20. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast