Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151621 ... LastLast

Thread: OT November Chit Chat

Distinguished Community Member

Nuthatch, is that the #Camp Fire in Paradise, CA? The entire town has been evacuated as you surely know by now. That must be terrifying. I hope your family has a safe place to stay and can get back home soon.

ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

2. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member nuthatch's Avatar

Yes, Ann, the Camp Fire, but she does not live in Paradise. I just spoke to her on the phone and they are okay for now but without electricity. The fire is moving west rather than toward the highly forested, but less inhabited east, where they are. But that could change with a shift in the wind. My d-i-l has family in Chico, which is only 6 miles west of Paradise. Fire is so scary and unpredictable!

4. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Cool

I spent the afternoon and evening anticipating, and waiting on my brother to call. About 8, I looked at my date and day on the start page which I've seen all day, but never REALLY saw it, just noting the day of the month.

My brother calls on FRIDAY! Doh!!! I'll hear from him tomorrow.
    Evolution spans the Universe.

6. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I hate to say how many times I've thought it was going to be Saturday when it was going to be Friday. I also wake up thinking it's Saturday when it's Friday. I don't make that mistake with other days of the week.

It's always a pleasant surprise when I realize it's really Friday instead of Saturday. It's like getting a free day.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

8. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

Well, we all have concerns and burdens at the moment beyond what seems normal....it is good we have each other.
    Makes me feel like I have little to complain about when compared to so many. We are lucky to have this place to come and connect.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

10. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Linda, I met a women in the hospital lobby wearing your red Archipedico tie shoes. She loves loves hers as much as you love yours.

ANN
    Last edited by stillstANNding; 11-09-2018 at 12:57 PM.

12. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well, we all have concerns and burdens at the moment beyond what seems normal....it is good we have each other.
    Makes me feel like I have little to complain about when compared to so many. We are lucky to have this place to come and connect.
    We are indeed! MS before the Internet and this board was a mighty different situation. I got through a lot of recorded books while trying my hand at quilts, jigsaw puzzles, needlepoint, crocheting and knitting--but there was no one to talk to.

After about 22 years like that, I was really used to being isolated. The Internet has been like a breath of fresh air or a window to the world for me. When I found this board, I would often marvel at how these people were all REAL, really out there, really talking to one another--and sometimes even to me.
    Last edited by agate; 11-09-2018 at 01:01 PM.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

14. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

nuthatch ~

Joan, I am praying for your daughter and family that they are safe and won’t need to evacuate. These fires are terrifying.

Here in So Cal, there are several fires blazing. My heart goes out to all people in proximity to these fires, but especially to the people of Thousand Oaks, where the shooting occurred. I can’t even begin to imagine what they’re going through.

The fire has jumped over the 101 and is now threatening a large part of Malibu. Residents are evacuating their horses, as we’ve seen so many times before. A majority of the homes burning and in the line of fire are multi-million dollar properties. Wealthy folks like to build around open land for views and privacy. But the risks of losing their properties is immense, particularly with our severe drought.

The cloud plume for this fire is over 2 miles high. In some areas, it is black as night. People, who are attempting to evacuate are stopped in their tracks, because the visibility is too poor for safe driving. News helicopters cannot capture the fire through the black smoke and clouds and are hovering at over 7,000 feet. There is concern that pyrocumulus clouds may form.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flammagenitus_(cloud)

There is another fire in Griffith Park, where the observatory is located. It’s burned over 30 acres, and animals have been rescued from the Griffith Park Zoo.

The Santa Ana winds are intense. On my walk this morning, I had to avoid felled branches and debris on the sidewalks. Several times a gust nearly pushed me over. Although we are a couple of hours driving distance from the Thousand Oaks fire, and about 40 miles from Griffith Park, I can smell fire. I can also see smoke on the horizon.

We live about 3 miles from an open preserve with very dry chaparral. Days like these make us nervous, although thankfully, we’ve only had two close fires in our 41 years here.

Hurricanes, floods, fires, earthquakes, tsunamis, volcanoes erupting. Sounds like Revelations is coming to fruition.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 49, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad.

16. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stillstANNding View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Linda, I met a women in the hospital lobby wearing your red Archipedico tie shoes. She loves loves hers as much as you love yours.

ANN
    Thanks! I have them in 3 colors. If there is no snow I wear them all winter long.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

18. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Nuthatch, please check in. I am praying that your family is safe.

ANN

20. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151621 ... LastLast