Thread: CPAP continuous usage

Default CPAP continuous usage

I had actually known I had sleep apnea for a number of years, I just didn’t do anything about it. My wife would tell me that I stopped breathing during the night and that she would lie awake counting the seconds until I started to breathe again. I thought I was sleeping through the night, so I never really gave it a lot of thought. Anyway, what’s the big deal? I always thought, so I snore and stop breathing. At least I’m getting some sleep. A few years ago I went for a routine physical checkup, and my doctor asked me if there were anything else she needed to know. I told her I had sleep apnea. She asked me how I knew, and I told her about my wife’s account of my sleep habits. I was told to use a CPAP mask for some time until I get the breathing right. I have been using it for more than two years. I feel good, My sleep apnea is gone with the medication and my breathing is alright. So can I stop using the CPAP? I have tried to stop it but I have felt it is needed, maybe its the psychological effect of using it continuously. Please give your suggestions.
    Last edited by Moderator #7; 10-29-2018 at 08:18 PM. Reason: No links until 11th post. NO advertising!

2. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member tic chick's Avatar

welcome kevinjohnson!

well unfortunately, sleep apnea is not just a benign condition where you stop breathing and then start up again. continuous sleep apnea can cause heart disease, cardiovascular disease and other problems. here is a link to read up on that:
    https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20377631

i don't know where you live or what kind of doctor you saw, but usually a primary care physician will send you to a sleep clinic to be monitored for a night. this will give your doctor information on how bad your sleep apnea is. the sleep clinic would also set a certain pressure on your cpap machine. you just don't put on a cpap without having the machine set up to give you the best results. i also don't know any medication that cures sleep apnea, unless there's something new out there that i don't know about. all i know is from my experience with my friend who has had sleep apnea for over 30 years.

i couldn't tell you to stop using the cpap machine, as i am not a medical professional and this forum is not for medical advice. i would suggest you find a good primary care doctor or go back to your other doctor and ask if you can have a sleep study to see if your apnea is gone. i would also ask the doctor what the medication was for that he/she gave you. i urge you not to take this lightly because it is a life altering condition. plus, you could have other problems that are contributing or causing your sleep apnea.

this is my best advice. i wish you good health and please check back in to tell us how you're doing.

thank you for sharing,
    jeannie
    Here's to good women. May we know them. May we be them. May we raise them.
    "The world is a better place when you're barefoot." Mark
    "Don't go there unless you know the way back." TC
    "...there will be an answer. Let it be." Paul McCartney

4. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hi kevinjohnson!

I agree with what tic chick said.

My son and his dad both have had sleep apnea. My son has been using a CPAP monitor for about 30 years. His dad wore one for years but then refused to wear it in the last few years of his life. He died of a heart attack. He might have lived longer if he'd kept on with the CPAP routine.

It's pretty important to get it right with the CPAP. When you get examined by a doctor and have a sleep study done, they may find that you don't have sleep apnea but do have something fixable in some other way--something that can be corrected without having to wear the CPAP monitor.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

6. The following user says "thanks"