Thread: Need cart, basket to move groceries from car to kitchen

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

Default Need cart, basket to move groceries from car to kitchen

For the new house, I need a small, lightweight grocery cart to move my bags up a small Incline from my the back of my car in the garage into the kitchen.

What do you use or Recommend?

2. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Will there be any steps involved? Pulling a cart full of groceries up a step can be a challenge, and having to pull it up several steps at once is an even greater challenge.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

4. The following 5 users say "thanks"

No steps, just ishort easy ramp

6. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

I've had one of these all my life--and have usually had the largest size I could find because I wanted to carry a week's worth of groceries quite often. So my shopping carts really got a workout, being hauled through snow and ice, mud, and up and down many stairs. The better ones are sturdy enough to hold up for years. I can't remember when I got the one I have now, which is identical to this one, but it was at least 20 years ago:

https://www.target.com/p/narita-jumb...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

If you usually just haul a few items at a time, there are smaller carts that are basically the same--they just hold less.

Four wheels are much better than two, and the wheels should be sturdy, not flimsy. I think it should have a locking mechanism too because otherwise when you store it folded up, it won't stay folded up, and it takes up a lot of space. When it's folded and locked shut, you can hang it on a wall hook and fit in the back seat of a vehicle or the trunk.

The one in the link is said to "fold flat for easy storage" but doesn't mention the lock. It can be seen in the photo though. It's a little metal hook on the back wall of the basket part.

The only problem I've had with shopping carts has been an occasional problem with a wheel. Sometimes the cart comes with a few extra parts so you can reattach a wheel. This has happened on a few times.
    Last edited by agate; 09-30-2018 at 04:57 PM.

8. The following 6 users say "thanks"

https://www.amazon.com/Deluxe-Foldin.../dp/B01K07MF8C

Thanks agate! Got me thinking...
    What do you think of this cart made by Lifestyle? It’s slightly bigger, slightly lighter. Lifestyles makes other disability aids too, from what I saw on line.

I wonder if it would hold 5 or 6 grocery bags? The only problem being you’d put one bag atop another, so you’d have to arrange so bottom bag doesn’t have crushables in it I guess

10. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

That one looks good to me. Bigger is better, lighter is better--though some people prefer smaller carts for ease of storage. If you have enough space to store it easily, you won't mind its bigness, but if you have to move it aside every time you want to get at something else, it's a pain.

I've never had one with a double basket--that's probably a plus.

I've routinely loaded my cart with 5 or 6 bags. You do need to keep the crushables on top. I sometimes did a bit of repacking of the bags so the crushables were at the top.

12. The following 4 users say "thanks"