Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Humidifiers?

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Humidifiers?

Does anyone know anything about humidifiers?

This is the second year my dentist has strongly recommended a humidifier. Last year I gave up on the idea as another costly item I didn't have room for but this year he was more persuasive, pointing out that some of them are only about $20 and are really quite small.

I've looked at an assortment of them on Amazon, and all of them seem to spray a mist into the air--some do cool mist, some do warm mist, some do both.

I last had a humidifier back around 1978, and it was a large clunky thing on wheels that needed considerable maintenance. I'm relieved to see how much simpler and smaller they are now but I'm not sure I want mist sprayed into the air.

So my question is--how noticeable is the mist?
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

2. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Well, I can't help. I have a de-humidifier in my kitchen, works great. I would look at Lowe's, or Walmart online.
    Evolution spans the Universe.

4. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((agate)))))) ~

We used a humidifier for Jonathan years ago. It had a filter. I had to clean it thoroughly with vinegar every day and leave it out on the patio to dry.

The one caution about humidifiers is that they can transmit bacteria in the mist/air, if they are not absolutely clean. If you have hard water, it's best to use distilled water.

Jim needed a humidifier, and I researched them until I decided to spring for a Dyson. It's absurdly expensive. But it doesn't emit a mist, and it has a system, which reduces bacterial build up.

It requires monthly cleaning, rather than daily, but Jim was unable to figure out how to clean it using the manual. I found a video on line, and it's a process. We haven't done it yet, and he stopped using it. Now, I'm not sure it was a good investment for us.

So, when you're shopping for your humidifier, find out as much as you can about its maintenance and efficacy. Customer reviews are helpful.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad.

6. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Thanks so much! My concern about mist was exactly about bacteria or possibly mold spores but maybe some of them spray a very fine mist that's hardly noticeable, or have a way of turning off the mist though I haven't noticed that option in the ones I've looked at. If it's not misting, maybe it's not humidifying. Still, the one I had a thousand years ago didn't mist. It made a very subdued purring sound, and if you were close to it you felt a very faint cool breeze.

It had to be cleaned often, and there was a large spongy "belt" that had to be removed and cleaned.

8. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Rose, Consumers Reviews are always very helpful. I always read them on anything I buy online. Agate, Walmart had a bunch. From like $20 and up. Good luck in your search.

10. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

I just did a Google search: benefits humidifier health. I came up with several sites. None of them mention anything about teeth. All of them say that viruses, like flu, are LESS likely to be transmitted in the damp air that a humidifier causes. The sites talk.about damp air making it easier to breathe, reducing snoring ....which can dry out your mouth --the closest comments having anything to do with teeth...there is also talk about improving your skin....

All also talk about the high maintenance they require.

We have a cool air humidifier, a small one, that we sometimes use in the winter, when one of us has a cold and stopped up sinuses. It's only used for the duration of the cold, then cleaned and put away for the next time. When being used it sits on the nightstand by the bed. It is about the size of two shoe boxes put together.

What did your dentist say to convince you to consider one?

12. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Thank you for looking up helpful information on humidifiers, Cat.

I've been treating dry mouth for many years--as well as dry eyes. It may be just aging or maybe it's due to surgery I had back in 1987--the removal of a parotid gland because it had a tumor that was hurting, and the doctor wanted it out, not just the tumor but the entire gland.

Dentists have often warned me that the dry mouth might be contributing to tooth decay, and so I've tried to be diligent with moisturizing gel or spray.

But I have to wear a nightguard at night, which makes it hard to close my mouth, and I'm probably a mouth-breather anyway (sinus problems)-- I have a dry mouth at night and wake up several times to drink water.

This time the dentist was sounding alarms about some "fracture lines" on a tooth and saying I should come in immediately without making an appointment if that tooth starts to wobble. This news has prompted me to be more attentive to that advice about humidifiers.

He pointed out that they aren't the big, difficult things they once were--and not nearly so pricey. When I looked at some on Amazon, I'd say he was right. User reviews have been very helpful. I'll put up with the extra maintenance in order to do whatever I can to keep this tooth, as the partial I wear hooks around it--which is probably why it's giving way. I had hoped I was through losing teeth for a while.

Howie, would Consumer Reviews be the same as Consumer Reports? I always try to look up their ratings and reviews too. I'm going to be doing that for this purchase. I've been a lifelong Consumer Reports fan and get the audio version of their monthly magazine. There are just too many products out there--a person needs some guidance!

14. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Cool

Agate, they sound about the same to me. I think of a report as something - a customer has reported, and a review more a mix of both + and - but what do I know, I just woke up!

16. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

There are some similar-sounding periodicals and organizations but Consumer Reports is run by Consumers Union and accepts no ads--and their ratings are based on tests that they do in their labs. They do a lot of testing of cars but also just about any other type of product you can think of.

18. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

When I lived up north we put a pot of water on the radiators. I suppose wet clothes might also do the trick. It humidified the air very well.

Might you just set out some pots in your bedroom for sleeping, like on dresser, floor etc?

Humidifiers sketch me out with the worryabout mold.

Course we have the opposite problem in Florida. We have a dehumidifier to get rid of excess moisture in the air !

20. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast