Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1 in 3 Adults are Lonely.

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

I am lonely. This SPS is awful— any emotion, such as happy, excited, lots of stimulation, anger, fear, — any emotion, triggers painful neuropathy and painful muscle stiffening.

So it’s not fun to be around people. It’s painful.,,But I do it, because loneliness is painful.

Only recently have I been able to put on TV. The sound was causing stiffening. Less so now. TV voices help me not feel so isolated. Go figure.

Laz, you said it well.

2. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

I wish I could reach through this monitor and hug all of you for real.

While I have the constant companionship of Jim and Jon, and occasional visitors (nurse, toenail team, John), I am lonesome for the days, when Jon could ride in the van, and we could all get out together.

I'm lonesome for my girlfriends, and I'm sad, when they have gatherings, which I can't attend. I've missed weddings, funerals, parties, lunches, concerts, even just talking on the phone.

I accept the circumstances, of course, but I still long for the active social life we once had, and so do Jim and Jon.

For all, who are lonely, you are not alone.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 49, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad.

4. The following 8 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member
    Blog Entries

I have never really been lonely. But I know many people who feel lonely.
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

6. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am lonely. This SPS is awful— any emotion, such as happy, excited, lots of stimulation, anger, fear, — any emotion, triggers painful neuropathy and painful muscle stiffening.

So it’s not fun to be around people. It’s painful.,,But I do it, because loneliness is painful.

Only recently have I been able to put on TV. The sound was causing stiffening. Less so now. TV voices help me not feel so isolated. Go figure.

Laz, you said it well.
    Try close captions and/or open captions if the low setting gets annoying to the muscles.
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

8. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

funnylegs, maybe you have better luck with closed captions than I do. I really appreciate it when they work well but often they don't, or maybe it's my TV's problem.

There's quite a lag time, important words and whole sentences aren't captioned, or the captioning is a garbled mess. But when they're in good working order, they're very helpful.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

10. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member SuzE-Q's Avatar

I miss having a regular social circle, but, I think I've adapted simply because it would be too difficult to maintain it now. I think I've done well at not living in a space of "what I'm missing" if I can't do anything about it and it's due to limitations created by health.

Still, I am alone more than I find ideal. I do try hard to push myself so I don't become stagnant but continue to live up to my capabilities.

I wish I had a bit more of an active life though. Like Virginia, with recent vision problems, that seems to be having a greater impact.

If 1 in 3 adults are lonely, and many of them ARE healthy, I suspect it has much to do with, as ANN described, having a much more difficult time meeting new friends the older we get.

We are in good company. Maybe we should each start a support group for Lonely People?
    Please Note that my posts may have been arbitrarily altered by a Moderator and may not reflect my original content.

Per Mike Weins: "...the admin/mod team doesn't have to provide a forewarning/warning/mention about altering a members post. It doesn't matter if they fix a link, remove a link, fix a typo, or whatever...."

12. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12