Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1 in 3 Adults are Lonely.

Distinguished Community Member SuzE-Q's Avatar

Default 1 in 3 Adults are Lonely.

Please Note that my posts may have been arbitrarily altered by a Moderator and may not reflect my original content.

Per Mike Weins: "...the admin/mod team doesn't have to provide a forewarning/warning/mention about altering a members post. It doesn't matter if they fix a link, remove a link, fix a typo, or whatever...."

2. The following 8 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

I am.........
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

4. The following 8 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Thumbs up

I'm alone, but never lonely. I only have one now, but cats are great companions.
    Evolution spans the Universe.

6. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Linda, I hear you.

I used to talk to Joy every day, multiple times a day. Even if I was home all week, I shared my life w her and she w me. That was for almost ten years. It’s a big hole to fill.

It’s hard to start relationships. People are busy. Their lives are established. Their routines are established. I am trying to get more people in my life but I find it extremely hard.

I’m lonely, too.
    ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

8. The following 8 users say "thanks"

I am lonely, but far more so now that I can't read. I hope I will be able to in another week or so. It does help. It doesn't solve the problem - it just helps.
    Virginia

10. The following 8 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Virginia, are you able to listen to recorded books?
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

12. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Agate, I haven't tried because I thought this was going to be a short term thing, but it is turning out to be longer than I anticipated. I have two books downloaded on my Kindle and I want to start one so bad.
    Virginia

14. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I must be so used to being alone that I don't think much about it. It's hard to imagine having people to talk to in real life.

I see a couple of neighbors every day in passing in the hall, the laundry or outside. We exchange a few words.

My son and DIL call on Mother's Day and I have frequent e-mail contact with him and see them about once every 6 weeks, along with the little tad--who is a much bigger tad now. He keeps them busy.

As I think back to the early days with MS, I felt fairly cut off and sometimes felt isolated and desperate. That was long before the Internet. It would have been very helpful to have had the Internet back then.

About 3 years after the dx, I began having home helpers--typically about 4 hours a week, and they were someone to talk to. Actually their talking was sometimes a problem for a couple of them were more interested in talking than in getting the work done, but somehow we managed, and a couple of them became friends later on. I stayed in touch with one until unfortunately she died, and I'm still in contact with a couple of others.

I haven't had home helpers in the last 9 years (in this state I've moved to, they're costly) but if the need arises, it's good to know that they're still possible. There are always some working in this building--quite a few of them, actually. I see them in the laundry room and when they're taking out the trash for the people they work for.

Being alone has definite advantages if you're often having to cope with a flock of health problems. You can take care of yourself, do things at your own pace, sleep when you want to sleep, eat what you want to eat when you want, leave tasks undone until you're ready to do them, and just generally run your own show.
    Last edited by agate; 09-27-2018 at 07:59 AM.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

16. The following 8 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by agate View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You can take care of yourself, do things at your own pace, sleep when you want to sleep, eat what you want to eat when you want, leave tasks undone until you're ready to do them, and just generally run your own show.
    AMEN to that!!!
    Evolution spans the Universe.

18. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

Still,
    Although I like running my own show, I am doing it alone. I know you are thinking that I have John and we have our farm, but that is John’s love and I am happy to help him. But, it has been 30 years since I was social in my own right doing the things I love to do. My independently personal life has long ago disappeared except for a few tattered scraps of it.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

20. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast