Thread: Flu shot and steroids

New Community Member

Default Flu shot and steroids

Hi all,
    Does anyone have experience getting IV steroids after a flu shot. Got my shot about a week ago and now need IV steroids for a relapse that won't go away. Is there a waiting time? I want the flu shot to be effective this season but am ready to feel better. Thanks. :)

2. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Welcome, cruiser!

I can't answer your question from personal experience but in general it's a good idea to avoid having too much "going on" at once, I think. If something acts up, it's too hard to figure out the cause if you've taken on both a flu shot and the IV steroids. You want to keep it simple, just in case.

If you can delay the IV steroids a bit, that would be best, but that's just my opinion.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

4. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((cruiser)))))) ~

TO BRAINTALK!

Your safest bet is to consult with your physician, who ordered the steroid infusion.

Steroids can compromise the immune system, so it's very likely that combining steroids with the flu shot could be problematic.

Consult your physician and pharmacist, and Google interactions between steroids and flu shots, so you know what questions to ask your doctor.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad.

6. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Jeanie Z's Avatar

Smile

:) I have no idea. I just wanted to welcome you. Let us know how you are doing. Jeanie :)

8. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

I think that if your provider ordered steroids, something is not going well for you. I’d recheck with that provider but would not otherwise delay.

I hope you see some improvement soon.
    ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

10. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cruiser View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hi all,
    Does anyone have experience getting IV steroids after a flu shot. Got my shot about a week ago and now need IV steroids for a relapse that won't go away. Is there a waiting time? I want the flu shot to be effective this season but am ready to feel better. Thanks. :)
    Hi Cruiser,
    I live near you just across the border in MA. My folks lived in Farmington so I traveled through Simsbury for visits with them.

Anyway, I did IV steroids for years and never had any warning about watching for interactions with the chemo drugs I take. So my guess is it is ok but, check with your doc. Do you go to the Mandel center?
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

12. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Cherie's Avatar

The flu shots take 14-21 days to become effective against the flu. Is your temperature elevated more than a degree from your normal? If so, you could be experiencing a false relapse or pseudo relapse which is common after an illness, injury or vaccine. Steroids will not help that and could make things feel worse for you. I am sorry you are feeling so poorly.

14. The following 6 users say "thanks"