Thread: OT: Daily aspirin for seniors no benefit, may harm

Distinguished Community Member SuzE-Q's Avatar

Default OT: Daily aspirin for seniors no benefit, may harm

This has been all over the news, but in case you haven't seen:

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa1803955
    Please Note that my posts may have been arbitrarily altered by a Moderator and may not reflect my original content.

Per Mike Weins: "...the admin/mod team doesn't have to provide a forewarning/warning/mention about altering a members post. It doesn't matter if they fix a link, remove a link, fix a typo, or whatever...."

2. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Jeanie Z's Avatar

Smile

:) A few weeks ago I decided to start taking the 81 mg aspirin again daily. After two days I scratched my arm and I could hardly stop the bleeding. I quit taking them again. Jeanie :)

4. The following 8 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

As someone who's been taking quite a lot of aspirin for many years, I'd like to call attention to the last sentence in the article:

Other primary prevention trials of aspirin have not identified similar results, which suggests that the mortality results reported here should be interpreted with caution.
    I take 2 aspirin twice a day. They're enteric coated and I always take them with food. If there's pain that might be helped by more aspirin, I take more. I have the notion that it helps osteoarthritis.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

6. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

Yesterday I called my cardiologist who Rxd a baby aspirin daily several years ago due to heart problem. Waiting for response.

8. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yesterday I called my cardiologist who Rxd a baby aspirin daily several years ago due to heart problem. Waiting for response.
    It would be interesting to know what your cardiologist says. When I first read articles on this the point was that healthy people do not get the benefit of warding off potential stroke or heart attacks but that compromised people should continue to take the baby aspirin.
    Aspirin has wonderful qualities.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

10. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

He said that the recommendation to stop the aspirin doesn’t apply. He said the growth on the valve could break off, and stay on the aspirin to prevent a stroke.

BTW he was the Mayo doc who I saw when I injected 8 weeks of recalled Avonex. His opinion was the growth was from the recalled Avonex.

12. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Again, we are different in how we react to things. My former Doctor recommended .81mg enteric coated aspirin, one a day. I was on it awhile and began to get tired, weak and very, very pale looking. I would look in the mirror and feel as though I was seeing a ghost. I stopped the aspirin and by the time I got in to see her I was getting back to about my normal self. She said I was right in my assessment of what was wrong with me. She was surprised that the dose she gave me did it, but she did say that was exactly what it does to people who cannot tolerate it.
    Virginia

14. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Cherie's Avatar

I think this should be a conversation with those who care for and about us. There is a Clinical trial that has enrolled several thousand people and is fully underway looking at both low dose aspirin (81 mg) and a regular enteric coated aspirin (325 mg) daily and comparing these folks with age and gender matched folks who do not take aspirin. It is an ongoing several year observational trial but was started when their 5 year trial of over 2000 persons showed no difference in cardiac events between those on and those not on baby aspirin. So far, about a year and a half into this new trial there does not seem to be a clear benefit emerging. On the flip side, there are more incidents like Jeanie mentioned of skin tears that will not stop bleeding and GI bleeds and anemia in persons over the age of 65. The jury is still out so talk about the benefits openly with your doc. David's Dr. took him off his aspirin and then his neurologist a month later told him he did not believe it was in David's best interests to continue taking it. This comment from his Dr was based on his history of polyps removed every time he has a Colonoscopy and his neurologist because he does not want a brain bleed. As we age and the vessels in our brains become narrowed, there is greater chance of stroke and if we are on aspirin, it is harder to stop that brain bleed and preserve function.

16. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member SuzE-Q's Avatar

Agate, I don't think the researchers have ever parsed out and separated study participants by age or health status before.

That's the significance of this study.

It hasn't been replicated yet, so there's always a caution when it contradicts prior research.

Jeanie, I'm like you, I took aspirin before and banged my foot. Wow, the bruuse I developed was quite incredible.
    Please Note that my posts may have been arbitrarily altered by a Moderator and may not reflect my original content.

Per Mike Weins: "...the admin/mod team doesn't have to provide a forewarning/warning/mention about altering a members post. It doesn't matter if they fix a link, remove a link, fix a typo, or whatever...."

18. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

Participants in this study are called “healthy" patients over 70, with different parameters for various ethnic groups. Yet, the majority of the patients in the study died of cancer. This part stood out for me, for obvious reasons:

Cancer was the underlying cause in 49.6% of the deaths …

Among participants who received aspirin, the major contributor to the higher all-cause mortality was the higher risk of death for which the underlying cause was adjudicated to be cancer. The risk of cancer-related death was 6.7 events per 1000 person-years in the aspirin group and 5.1 events per 1000 person-years in the placebo group (hazard ratio, 1.31; 95% CI, 1.10 to 1.56) (Table S3 in the Supplementary Appendix). In a separate analysis that was based on a tabulation of the number of deaths in which cancer was recorded as a contributing cause on the death certificate, a similar pattern was observed, with 272 deaths (6.2 events per 1000 person-years) in the aspirin group and 206 deaths (4.6 events per 1000 person-years) in the placebo group. In curves showing the cumulative incidence of death according to each major cause, there is a progressive divergence beginning in the third year after randomization in the curves for death from any cause1 and for death related to cancer, as compared with the curves for death related to other major causes (Figure 1).
    Statistically, the risk of cancer is greater among Seniors. Most of us have health issues by the time we reach 70. And cancer of some kind is probably #1. So, it seems disingenuous to refer to the study participants as healthy. "Aside from cancer, this person is pretty healthy." Well, that could be said about Jim, but he also has gallstones, diverticulitis, RA, osteoporosis, emphysema, and COPD. Is that healthy? Not really.

Aspirin works as a blood thinner, doesn't it? Perhaps for people, who have cancer and are trying to maintain normal WBC, RBC, hematocrit and hemoglobin levels, aspirin is not a good idea.

We have Bayer aspirin tablets on hand for heart attacks. But I've also read that depending upon the type or cause of the heart attack, that aspirin could be the worst thing to do. My approach to this is to ask the 911 dispatcher whether the symptoms warrant an aspirin, while I wait for the paramedics to arrive.

Just my thoughts and observations, since I don’t take aspirin. I have to be in excruciating pain to take one Advil. Tylenol does nothing for me. I fear bleeding ulcers, having several friends, who experienced them after taking too much Advil for too long.

My mom gave me aspirin as a child, which we now know is a dangerous thing, as it can cause Reye's Syndrome:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20377255

Like any remedy/drug/medication, aspirin has its down sides.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad.

20. The following 5 users say "thanks"