Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: I got a U-step walker!

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well shucks. But at least you--and thanks to you, the rest of us--are aware that the newer model is there if we want to try it.

Lifting a walker up onto curbs is a pain.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

2. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((ANN)))))) ~

The vibration thing ~ oh, that does need to be remedied! I hope that U-step has an easy resolution to that problem with the current version.

That's great that you're paying it forward by donating it, where it might be more useful.

Jon and I just watched Back to the Future 3 yesterday. I think we should all get a hoverboard!

I hope you get what you need very soon.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 49, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad.

4. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member nuthatch's Avatar

Nice walker, too bad it's not what you need. Could your doctor write a script for the newer model for you?

Agate, I had never heard of Nextdoor before, so I checked it out. Was surprised to find one in my neighborhood with 147 members, one of whom lives right across the street from me. I joined and spent a lot of time reading last night. The crime reports are especially informative. Goings on I would never even know about. Kinda like a neighborhood watch that includes nearby neighborhoods too.

Wish I had known about this a year ago. I would have alerted a larger area of people to the incident that happened to us then.
    One Saturday at 11:30 at night, someone knocked on the side door. I was awake, DH was asleep on the couch, but woke up. I was in the other end of the house doing some on-line shopping and didn't hear the knock. I did hear my DH talking but thought it was the TV or that he was talking to the cat, until he came down to me and said "that was weird". He had gone to the door and without opening the door, asked who's there. Some man's voice said he needed help. When asked what he needed, he said he was lost. Mind you, we live on the end of a cul-de-sac, no outside lights were on and we have no street lights, plus we are only a short distance from the freeway.
    My DH told him to go out the way he came in, then peeked out a window. He was surprised to see a man with a full helmet with face shield ride out of our driveway. He had parked his motorcycle facing out (for a quick getaway) in front of my husband's truck which was up close to the house, way up our long driveway. When my DH told me what had happened, I insisted he call the police and report it, even though the guy was long gone by then.

The next door neighbor had an incident like that just a couple of weeks ago, only a man rang their doorbell at 2 a.m. saying he needed to use their bathroom. The neighbor pointed a gun at him through a window and he promptly left on a bicycle while the neighbor's wife called the police. Police intercepted him at the corner.

Needless to say, we keep all outside lights on all night now. The house alarm goes on early, rather than when we retire to bed and we have cameras now. It's a sad reality that these things are necessary.
    Reading the Nextdoor page makes me more aware of what's going on where.
    Last edited by nuthatch; 09-10-2018 at 12:28 AM. Reason: dopey spelling errors

6. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

Pretty darn scary.

8. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

In addition to NextDoor there is the Buy Nothing Project. It has a Facebook page and works by posting things by neighborhood. I am not on FB but here is that link:

https://m.facebook.com/BuyNothingProject/

ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

10. The following 2 users say "thanks"

At PT today, I told my doctor (they are almost all PHD’s now) about my experience with the original U-Step. I was surprised when she suggested that we try the improved U-Step 2 and they had one! I walked down the hall and over a long entry mat, over thresholds and down a ramp to a parking lot that was similar to the surface of the arboretum main paths. We went across the street and around a second parking lot. At every decision point, I chose the most difficult surface. Then we reversed course.

All problems are resolved. There was a tiny bit of vibration felt in my hands. I am going to call or email the company to see if there is a way to improve that by fussing with the tension controls or something or if there is an add on for shock absorption (I have that in my scooter).

ANN
    Last edited by stillstANNding; 09-10-2018 at 05:42 PM.

12. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Lastly, here is a link for Peg’s Up Walker:

https://tryupwalker.com

ANN

14. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234