Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Shingles!!!!

Distinguished Community Member

Default Shingles!!!!

When I got up this morning and washed my face there was a tiny little place on my brow bone just above the eye where I still have the lump that I had posted about back some time ago. It still had not gone away. I thought the little place this morning was maybe from my sleep mask. I figured it had gotten crooked during the night and made the spot.

I got dressed and did a few thing around the house. I then had some yogurt for lunch and went to brush my teeth. I looked in the mirror and saw that I had a couple of red spots on my forehead. I went to the beauty shop to get my hair cut and I told her I thought something had bitten me when I went out to empty the trash or when I went in my attic earlier. However, upon looking at it, it had already spread some more. She pulled my hair up and it was in the hair line, but I was not hurting. She said "this might be shingles". She was right because I am now hurting in my eye and the ear on that side of my face. Also it looks like the red spots are going to become blister like.

I left her and went to two urgent care places but they were closed for Labor Day. Last year I asked my Doctor to give me some medicine (generic of Valtrex) in case I thought I was getting it. It is just about a year old so maybe has lost it's strength but I took one when I got home and will take another one before I go to bed. I am not sure it will do any good anyway because the rash just started today, but I had been feeling really bad on that side of my face for several days, deep ear pain and especially eye pain. So now I know why. I had planned to go back to my eye doctor and ask him if he could order some x-rays to see what was going on with that whole side of my face. Now I will try to get into regular Doctor to get pain meds and new Valtrex. If anyone knows anymore about what I can do please tell me.

I am scared. I don't know what it will do to my eye and I am concerned about scarring and also my hearing.

I am also very concerned about my hairdresser. Even after we got suspicious of Shingles she kept touching the places and looking at them up close. I have talked to her and told her I felt she should go on medication as a preventive thing. She says she will call her Doctor when I get a firm diagnoses. But I know from the pain and the look of the places now. She is in her 50s and has not yet had vaccine. I am concerned for her.
    Last edited by Virginia; 09-03-2018 at 04:05 PM.
    Virginia

2. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Virginia, your hair dresser can not “catch” shingles from you. See this CDC info:

https://www.cdc.gov/shingles/about/transmission.html

So sorry about this! You have been under so much stress, I am sure that didn’t help.

Here, when I need something on a weekend or a holiday, I callmy doctor’s office and get the answering service. They take my number and the doctor on call calls back. S/he can call in an RX. Up here, CVS is open today. Can you do something like that?

When I had the shingles, they gave me a cortisone cream (in addition to the anti viral med) to reduce the chance of scarring.

Best thing to do is stop worrying and rest. Take ibruprofen if that works for you. Meditation is also a useful tool to calm down.

Best to you, Virginia, I wish I could help more.
    ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

4. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Virginia)))))) ~

I'm so very sorry that you have Shingles. It was a good idea to take Valtrex right away. Check the prescription to see what the expiration date is. Pharmacists have told me many times that drugs are still effective after their expiration date. If it's a couple of years over, then it might lose some potency.

I know others here will have lots of advice for you. My experience is very limited. Jim had Shingles on his back about 3 years ago. It was a very small rash. Thankfully and amazingly, it didn't cause him problems.

You've been under so much stress recently, Virginia, and sometimes that can exacerbate a Shingles outbreak. I hope you can get some rest and that you are able to reach your doctor in the morning to get the meds you need for pain and the virus.

You are in my prayers, and I'm sending you healing energy~

Love & Light,

Rose
    Last edited by Earth Mother 2 Angels; 09-03-2018 at 04:31 PM.
    Mom to Jon, 49, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad.

6. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Pegakafarmgirl's Avatar

oh Virginia,, this so not fair,, not having or dealing with shingles,,,, no advice,, just a {{{{hug}}}}
    " Don't outsmart your common sense"

Peg

8. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Cherie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Virginia View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    When I got up this morning and washed my face there was a tiny little place on my brow bone just above the eye where I still have the lump that I had posted about back some time ago. It still had not gone away. I thought the little place this morning was maybe from my sleep mask. I figured it had gotten crooked during the night and made the spot.

I got dressed and did a few thing around the house. I then had some yogurt for lunch and went to brush my teeth. I looked in the mirror and saw that I had a couple of red spots on my forehead. I went to the beauty shop to get my hair cut and I told her I thought something had bitten me when I went out to empty the trash or when I went in my attic earlier. However, upon looking at it, it had already spread some more. She pulled my hair up and it was in the hair line, but I was not hurting. She said "this might be shingles". She was right because I am now hurting in my eye and the ear on that side of my face. Also it looks like the red spots are going to become blister like.

I left her and went to two urgent care places but they were closed for Labor Day. Last year I asked my Doctor to give me some medicine (generic of Valtrex) in case I thought I was getting it. It is just about a year old so maybe has lost it's strength but I took one when I got home and will take another one before I go to bed. I am not sure it will do any good anyway because the rash just started today, but I had been feeling really bad on that side of my face for several days, deep ear pain and especially eye pain. So now I know why. I had planned to go back to my eye doctor and ask him if he could order some x-rays to see what was going on with that whole side of my face. Now I will try to get into regular Doctor to get pain meds and new Valtrex. If anyone knows anymore about what I can do please tell me.

I am scared. I don't know what it will do to my eye and I am concerned about scarring and also my hearing.

I am also very concerned about my hairdresser. Even after we got suspicious of Shingles she kept touching the places and looking at them up close. I have talked to her and told her I felt she should go on medication as a preventive thing. She says she will call her Doctor when I get a firm diagnoses. But I know from the pain and the look of the places now. She is in her 50s and has not yet had vaccine. I am concerned for her.
    Valtrex works best in the first 48 hours after eruption. Also, if the med is only a year old, it is probably still quite potent. However, I would call the office in the morning to get a fresh script. Heal quickly.

10. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Thanks everyone and thanks for the link Ann.

Guess this will be a no sleep night as I am hurting and concerned especially for my eye. I have no pain medication and it is too late to get any. Feel sure the Doctor will order something tomorrow.
    Virginia

12. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member SuzE-Q's Avatar

Oh, Virginia, I'm so sorry! Right after a discussion here on the vaccine too. If it's not one thing, it's shingles!

Sounds like you're on top of it and are treating it quickly, at least. Do you have any gabapentin, for nerve pain, handy?

Hope you feel better soon!
    Please Note that my posts may have been arbitrarily altered by a Moderator and may not reflect my original content.

Per Mike Weins: "...the admin/mod team doesn't have to provide a forewarning/warning/mention about altering a members post. It doesn't matter if they fix a link, remove a link, fix a typo, or whatever...."

14. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You most definitely don't need this. I'm so sorry. You've had quite a lot to cope with lately. Maybe it will be a light case, or easily treatable. Let's hope.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

16. The following 5 users say "thanks"

On dear. Shingles near the eye is very worrisome! Do talk to your doctor as soon as possible. Shingles is ugly no matter where it appears, but in the face is particularly troublesome.
    I hope it passes quickly.

18. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

Oh damn Virginia—- this really stinks. I know how scared you feel. I would be too. Also ask doc how long you have to wait to get the Shingrix vaccine. It’s 90% effective and you don’t need another eruption.

I have two friends who had Eye involvement with their shingles. While it’s a chronic thing, neither has sight compromise. So there is def reason for hope.

20. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast