Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Accessibility and voting polls

Distinguished Community Member

This feels contentious and it need not be.

ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

2. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Rose's ballot didn't reach her in the mail, but I think her main point was that it wasn't possible for her to vote in any other way:

I called the Registrar of Voters, and I was told that my ballot was mailed on 5/7. Without it my options were: a) I could go to the county seat and get an emergency ballot; b) send someone to the county seat to get my emergency ballot; c) find an early voting location and go there to vote; d) vote at my polling place on June 5.

I asked, “What if I’m unable to do any of these things?”

The answer was, “I can’t help you.”
    I'm sure that absentee ballots do go astray in the mail sometimes. There ought to be a way she could have dealt with it, even if the election headquarters had to send a ballot to her by one of those handy ways of getting a piece of mail to you fast.

The people in charge of such things might argue that (a) that would be costly, and/or (b) that they'd need some assurance that the person calling them to report never receiving a ballot wasn't just going to be voting twice--that is, lying while planning to send in a second ballot.

The answer to (a) is that yes, it might be expensive but we're talking about a Voter here. A VOTE that could have been cast but wasn't due to no fault on the voter's part.

The answer to (b) is that all of those ballots have to be signed by the voter, and I'm pretty sure that modern technology has ways of going through them to make sure that no person's signature turns up twice.

It sounds to me as if the person Rose got on the phone just plain didn't want to bother. Maybe that person had a political motivation for not wanting to bother--it's entirely possible.

If this ever happens again, Rose, I'd insist on talking to someone else there and keep insisting until someone comes up with a solution. There must be quite a few people with this kind of situation. I can think of several right here in this building who couldn't do any of the options you were given.
    Last edited by agate; 08-30-2018 at 08:36 AM.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

4. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by agate View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Rose's ballot didn't reach her in the mail, but I think her main point was that it wasn't possible for her to vote in any other way:

I'm sure that absentee ballots do go astray in the mail sometimes. There ought to be a way she could have dealt with it, even if the election headquarters had to send a ballot to her by one of those handy ways of getting a piece of mail to you fast.

The people in charge of such things might argue that (a) that would be costly, and/or (b) that they'd need some assurance that the person calling them to report never receiving a ballot wasn't just going to be voting twice--that is, lying while planning to send in a second ballot.

The answer to (a) is that yes, it might be expensive but we're talking about a Voter here. A VOTE that could have been cast but wasn't due to no fault on the voter's part.

The answer to (b) is that all of those ballots have to be signed by the voter, and I'm pretty sure that modern technology has ways of going through them to make sure that no person's signature turns up twice.

It sounds to me as if the person Rose got on the phone just plain didn't want to bother. Maybe that person had a political motivation for not wanting to bother--it's entirely possible.

If this ever happens again, Rose, I'd insist on talking to someone else there and keep insisting until someone comes up with a solution. There must be quite a few people with this kind of situation. I can think of several right here in this building who couldn't do any of the options you were given.
    My guess it would be option B that they are more concerned about as that would be voter fraud. This is why some people are for photo voting ID. In the case of mail ballots however photo voting ID might not do much good unless the person mails a copy of the photo ID or something with the 2nd ballot to verify but of course people can get fake ID etc.
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

6. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member renee's Avatar

Geez, i'm a poll inspector in what has become a fairly affluent town since the Reagan years
    and for all the money that floats around, the local govetnment is brain dense about heavy doors
    and curbcuts.
    Looking like a po'd worker on the verge of death helps as well as being able to
    demonstrate the reasons for a lawsuit may actually have helped produce a few
    changes in accessibility.

Bless you, Catdancer.
    It's hard not to love that southern thing.

8. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Unhappy Ballot Update

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

Today, I spoke with our mail carrier regarding my absentee ballot. I asked her to keep an eye out for it, and to make sure that it's on top of the junk mail, so we see it immediately. I told her that I didn't receive my absentee ballot for the primary.

She said, "Several of my customers have told me that they didn't get their primary ballot. There are probably more, who I haven't talked to yet. But one of my customers told me that he didn't get his absentee ballot, and he went to the polling place on Election Day. He told the poll workers that he didn't get his absentee ballot, and they told him that 'many, many voters' had told them the same thing."

She also said that she is an absentee voter and has been looking for her ballot too. She has delivered "a few, very few" ballots already.

She assured me that she would keep an eye out for my ballot and would walk it up to the door to hand to me, if I want her to do that. That would be great!

I have no reason to disbelieve her, so it would seem that a lot of us didn't get our primary absentee ballots.

When things settle down a little on the homefront, I'm going to call the Registrar to find out when my ballot was or will be mailed.

If I don't get my ballot, I will have to go to the polls, because I cannot miss the mid-terms vote. It infuriates me that I have to sleuth out my ballot to exercise my right to vote. And even worse, that I may have to go to the polls and stand in line for hours. If it is more than an hour, I will have to leave, because my back cannot tolerate standing any longer than an hour. I imagine there will be a big turnout, especially in our district, where we have an important house seat up for grabs, and one side is putting out false attack ads against the other. Guess which side I'm on?

In the primary, our district had voter machine problems, provisional ballot problems, inaccessibility for blind and disabled voters, and evidently many absentee voters, who did not receive their ballots. It sure feels like voter suppression to me.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad.

10. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

Call the local Democrat Party headquarters and tell them what happened to you and what your carrier said. They have a vested interest in hearing you.

12. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

((((((Sunshine)))))) ~

Thank you! Great suggestion! I will do that!

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad.

14. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Thumbs up I Can Vote!

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

Last Thursday, I called the Registrar and was told that my ballot had been mailed and that it should arrive in 2 days. It did. My ballot arrived today.

YAY!

The ballot is LONG. We are voting for:

Governor; Lt. Governor; Secretary of State; Controller; Treasurer; Attorney General; Insurance Commissioner; State Board of Equalization member; Superintendent of Public Instruction; State Assembly Member.

U.S. Senator; U.S. House of Representatives. (1 each.)

16 Associate Justices. (I have no idea who these judges are, of course. So, our vote is based on their campaign paragraph in the voter pamphlet. Not all of the candidates supply even that.)

County Supervisor; County District Attorney; County Sheriff/Coroner. (I wouldnt vote for any of these candidates to drive our trash truck. They are all corrupt liars.)

11 Complicated Propositions. (All of them are written by vested interest groups, naturally. They are often written to be confusing, as in: if you vote yes, it really means no.)

If I start right this second and read every single day until Nov. 6, maybe Ill have it all figured out by then.

Were a giant state, so we have a huge ballot. I think this deters people from voting, because they are overwhelmed by the number of votes they have to cast and the number of people/issues they need to study. However, Im sure most people vote on party lines and dont even read the propositions. Another flaw in this system.

I feel that it would be more effective if California held separate elections for Propositions, at least, apart from General Elections. We could also have separate County/City elections. Both of these could be exclusively absentee ballots ~ no voting polls.

For now, were stuck with this

Im very happy that my ballot is here.

I treasure my right to vote, and I cast every ballot in honor of the women, who died so that I could have this right.

Love & Light,

Rose

16. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member nuthatch's Avatar

I got my absentee ballot in the mail yesterday too, although my husband got his voter stuff & sample ballot more than a week ago. Hmmmm . . . !

18. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

No ballot yet but so far two very very thick voters' pamphlets. The ballots here can be very complicated too.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

20. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast