Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Keep on Moving Club: August 2018

Hybrid View

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

Default Keep on Moving Club: August 2018

MS creates some real challenges to keep on moving. It helps to inspire each other on how to find ways to move.

Did you stretch in your bed, swing your arms, roll side to side today? Or perhaps you did housework? Or exercised in a pool? Tracked your count of steps? Chased your cat around the home? Pushed the wheelchair wheels with your arms at the store? Post them here and we can support and egg each other on.

2. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I just noticed you mentioned pushing wheelchair wheels. That can be a bit of a workout, to put it mildly.

I've become very keenly aware of the surfaces wherever I go. I automatically scan the area looking for the smoothest route because pushing the wheelchair over carpeting can be a challenge. Some carpeting is much easier than others though, and I've found that I should always give carpeting a try before giving up on it.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

4. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

I had PT yesterday. If I can do anything well (and I can) she changes it up so muscles work harder or to include another muscle group. (0h, nooooooo!)

I did the ergonomic stepper which works legs, thighs (needed) and arms for 10” first thing. I did the slant-sled thing on the Total Gym for three sessions. They promise rewards but the only rewards are a tiny break or water, not an all day sucker. Or chocolate. ;-(

After that was the box thing that you do different combos of steps on. I was cruising on the 5” so she made it 10”. We also did some balance work, between the bars, on solid and unstable ground. Not good w balance. I don’t think that’s fixable.

Last was low table work on my back working my abs w a 65 cm ball and I was good at it as I have been doing it since May, so she made it more difficult to.

It’s a jammed 45”. Very little small talk but cordial. All work. Leave exhausted. Payback in spasms at night. The PT thinks that’s good. We are building muscle and making others stronger.

ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

6. The following 5 users say "thanks"

That’s a grueling work out!

Not sure the spasms are a good thing. I would be inclined for a slower stepping up of activity, so that you have gains, but not spasms, say. a 10% increase, not a 100% increase... I am not one to subscribe to the theory of no pain, no gain. In fact, research debunks that.

But good job sticking with it!

Yes agate, I think wc give your arms and heart a workout, especially on rugs.

Today I swam 20 minutes, 1/3 mile.

8. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That’s a grueling work out!

Not sure the spasms are a good thing. I would be inclined for a slower stepping up of activity, so that you have gains, but not spasms, say. a 10% increase, not a 100% increase... I am not one to subscribe to the theory of no pain, no gain. In fact, research debunks that.

But good job sticking with it.
    She only went to the 10” because two 5” steps were the only combo available as the Rehab gym was crowded.
    ANN

10. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Actually, Howie, I said 95 to 99. Maybe you could get by with a lighter weight sweater.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

12. The following 5 users say "thanks"

I swam 23 minutes today, 720 Yards. Legs rubbery after, but no spasms. Will try to wax the board some more this afternoon.

14. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Straight As for Ann and Sunshine. Such perseverance for both. Agate, also deserves straight As for same reason.
    Virginia

16. The following 5 users say "thanks"

And for you, Virginia, for amazing amounts of house work and “running” around town. Running, who remembers that?

One time when I started PT at a local place, they had a Medicare form. One of the questions was, “Can you skip?” Really. I can’t even think how to skip. Fortunately, that pre- PT form is gone as it should be!

ANN

18. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

I remember years ago, finding out I could no longer run. But here at the 20 year mark of having MS, I can still walk, and still drive. That feels pretty good to me.
    Evolution spans the Universe.

20. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast