Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 323282930313233

Thread: OT August Chit Chat

Distinguished Community Member

Enjoy your day, Howie. Don’t forget CVS.

ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

2. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Cherie's Avatar

There is no traditional treatment for early onset dementia and a huge focus is not being placed on researching whether catching it early and treating it can prevent onset of Alzheimer's Disease or at least slow progression. That is why he is so eager to help and potentially get a med in the process. He was so mentally exhausted after the testing for both trials that he came home and slept for 45 minutes.. He also slept in the car on the way home. He had to use his brain and really focus and realized he just does not do that regularly any more.

4. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Thumbs up

Ann, I was at the drive through window at EXACTLY 8, and waited, and waited until I couldn't wait any longer. I had gone to the store, and had refrigerated items that I didn't want to get warm, so I left and came home.

I have enough meds to last through today, and tomorrow. I guess the weird timing of the holiday threw them off. They are on the "READY FILL" but I didn't get the notice they were ready like I usually do yet. So I'll go AGAIN when that arrives.

Thanks for keeping track.
    Evolution spans the Universe.

6. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

Looking back :

18 months ago I stopped work. I was still walking pretty well, just not running or walking fast, or squatting. Memory was an issue.i was able to drive to the beach 3x week and walk to the waters edge, and surf.

Now, of course, these things are impossible.

So I got a text from an excellent employee, asking how a.m. I. That caused me to look back when I last saw her 18 months ago, before closing the business due to MS. And I realized how rapidly I declined. No wonder itís bewildering! It wasnít insidious, it all happened within a year...

It reminds me of many similar stories here....

8. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Cool

I was DXed with MS and was still able to work about 9 more months. Then the second exacerbation struck, and it was a dozy. I knew my working days were over.

I filed for SS disability, and had to wait 6 months for that to go through. So I moved from the apartment where I had lived comfortably for 10 years. I moved in with my mom, and my dad had recently passed away.

She was soon DXed with Alzheimer's, and didn't last long. She moved into an assisted living facility, and shortly afterwards, she had a fatal heart attack. I then inherited money they left for us 3 kids.

I then bought this place, built a garage, turned Pinky into the hotrod I had always wanted, and the rest is history.

Life is a strange thing.
    Evolution spans the Universe.

10. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Alzheimer's is so sad. Losing her to that devastating disease must have been terrible.

I guess there are a few ways of making life easier if a person has memory problems--aids to memory like lists or signalling reminders. There are some high tech devices too now--medicine reminders that beep for you so you'll remember when to take which medicine.

Those of us with MS who have caring family members and/or friends are very grateful, I'm sure.
    I feel especially sorry for anyone who gets MS but has no family, or no family willing or able to help. Those people are out there struggling.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

12. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

Howie, thanks for posting your story.

I am reading a great book, All Over But the Shoutin by Rick Bragg
    I highly recommend it. He grew up in soul crushing poverty in Alabama and honors his mother for her strength and fortitude. He became a famous journalist, write for the NYT, beautiful essays on the forgotten , the traumatized, on his time in Haiti, on the South etc.

Anyway, I can imagine him writing a story about many of us here. Who struggle but maintain their honor and dignity.

Someone once said Bragg lent dignity to his subjects. He refuted it and he essentially said he highlighted the dignity that was already there.

I highly recommend the book, if you like to read. It’s in my Top Ten books I’ve read in the last 20 years.
    Last edited by Sunshine; 08-31-2018 at 12:08 PM.

14. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 323282930313233