Thread: Common organic solvents and MS

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

2. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Interesting. How many of us have had considerable exposure to these substances, I wonder?

I spent quite a while in my dad's studio as a kid, and it absolutely reeked of paint, turpentine, fixative, whatever substances artists use. As a young adult I worked for a few years in a small, poorly ventilated office where we used what is now called White-Out. At the time it was called Sno-Pake, and we used quantities of it because we spent the day editing manuscripts, often whiting out entire paragraphs of text. Toluene was the ingredient involved that had quite an odor.

One of my co-workers at the time died a few years later (at 38) of leukemia. I don't know if it might have been because he'd inhaled so much of that stuff but have occasionally wondered.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

4. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

I've had exposure to MANY solvents working on my cars. And I silkscreened for years, and there were days when I walked out to my car to leave in the afternoon, and felt "buzzed" from breathing in all the vapors of solvents used throughout the day. Oh, and I smoked.
    Last edited by Howie; 07-06-2018 at 09:43 AM.
    Evolution spans the Universe.

6. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

They also implicate the use of cosmetics, but dunno the type or extent of it.

I had no known heavy exposure to organic solvents.

8. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Maybe the acetone in nail polish remover? It’s all I can think of that’s close to “cosmetics.”

ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

10. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Question

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

I can think of many people, including my Dad and Jim, who smoked and worked around solvents. Cancer? Yes. MS? No. We have friends, who are hair stylists and make up artists, and they don't have MS. Other health problems ~ yes. I had regular perms in the 80s and 90s, and my nails were always painted. I have RA, but I was diagnosed with that, when I was 22.

We're all exposed to environmental pollution. Insecticides used on our food (except for organic). After we bought our home, we learned that we were in proximity to a Superfund Toxic Waste Site.

Perhaps I am missing something in this article, which sets the study participants apart from others, who've been exposed to the same solvents, and/or who smoked, and didn't get MS. Is it a predisposition or a genetic connection?

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad.

12. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Interesting study. While I was exposed to smoking as a child -- both parents smoked, older brother started smoking a pipe at 17 -- there wasn't much exposure to other solvents. And I wasn't near a farm (grew up in a suburb). As far as I know, I'm the only one in my intimate and extended family who has MS.

14. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member SuzE-Q's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They also implicate the use of cosmetics, but dunno the type or extent of it.
    Howie, maybe you'll stop applying such heavy eyeshadow, and stop sleeping with it on every night?
    Please Note that my posts may have been arbitrarily altered by a Moderator and may not reflect my original content.

Per Mike Weins: "...the admin/mod team doesn't have to provide a forewarning/warning/mention about altering a members post. It doesn't matter if they fix a link, remove a link, fix a typo, or whatever...."

16. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Cool

But Sam does the same thing, so I figured if it was okay for her, it was okay for me!
    Evolution spans the Universe.

18. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Sam looks really weird in that rouge though.

(Just my opinion. No offense meant, Sam.)

Is it a predisposition or a genetic connection?
    Rose, I think that the article is stating that those with a genetic risk of MS--as determined by whether they carry a certain allele in their genetic makeup--may be more inclined to mount an immune response when exposed to some organic solvents, but they're having trouble figuring out which solvents and how much of them is too much.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

20. The following 3 users say "thanks"