Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast

Thread: OT July Chit Chat

Distinguished Community Member

1150- 1500 -- the period of history known as "Middle English", and when the expression, "dead as a doornail" first shows up in texts, both poems and other documents. It refers to the practice of nailing nails into wood doors to secure the hinges and latches, and securing the nail by using a nail longer than the thickness of the wood. Once the nail was driven clear through the door, the pointed end was then bent over and nailed flush into the wood -- making it extremely difficult to dislodge the nail (and so break into the house) -- so in effect, a safety feature. This was before screws were invented. Nails were hand made, and relatively scarce and expensive, so were often pulled out of construction and re-used, when possible. Because the nail could not be pulled out and used again "resurrected" -- it was said to be "dead". So something "deader than a doornail" was as dead as that bent-over-and-pounded-back-into-the-wood nail was. More than you probably wanted to know, but interesting to us folks who love words...

2. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Howie, do you think it could be Cat and TC's alternator? I am just trying to show everyone that I know the name of car parts. The reason I know the alternator is because my youngest brother use to say our Dad could rebuild an alternator better than anyone he had ever known. After Dad had a stroke and it took him longer to think my brother would often ask him something about an alternator that would get his brain working. Sometime he couldn't answer right away, but then he would later call my brother and say something like "I've been thinking and so and so needs to be done". My brother said he was still right on the mark.

Like Howie building Pinky, my brother built a Mercedes 100 sl. He took two years and used all new parts. They had to come from Germany. He got them from a supplier in Tennessee. He was going through a rough time in his personal life and he said it saved his life because he would sometime wake up in the middle of the night and remember where a part went. He picked this knowledge up from our Father.
    Virginia

4. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Virginia, good thinking...but no. We had that checked, too. We think it has something to do with the power windows: The car was working fine until we got a notice about "recall", something to do with the motor that runs the power windows. We took it to a dealer (not our local mechanic) to take care of the recall. Got it back...and the battery issues started. We've taken it back to the dealer, and also our local guys retraced the wiring and couldn't find a problem. But clearly there is. Bummer. Dead as a doornail. :)

6. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

Wow! I am glad I stumbled on this. I have a 2008 Toyota Tundra and have the same problem. Battery keeps discharging and no one knows why. So, I looked on a forum for my truck and discovered many were having the same problem. That did give me a momentís peace. One frustrated owner said he had purchased a super battery and that was his last hope. Northstar lead battery (expensive)

The last guy I had check things out told me to just start my truck every other day and let it run for 15 minutes. If I forget and do not start it for 4 days it is dead. Someone suggested that the drain on the battery was coming from the push button key starter thing I added. Maybe. But it makes me nervous to use it off the Farm in case I get stuck.

So, I am buying the expensive battery I mentioned and will cross my fingers.
    Last edited by Lazarus; 07-05-2018 at 04:51 PM.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

8. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Cool

Pinky is a 1973, and I can just look at the engine, and know what every part does. But modern cars, are made so you can't work on them yourself. I can open the hood on the PT Cruiser, and even I don't know what everything is, and CAN'T work on it.

I couldn't even see the battery until I saw a guy take off the plastic cover that not only covers the battery, but has to be removed to install a new air cleaner. Give me an older car any day!
    "A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."

10. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Pegakafarmgirl's Avatar

you bet Howie,, I would rather have a older car,,in fact we do,, 3 of them,, and they run just fine,,same with tractors, ours are older tractors,, but we keep them in top condition,,

not much going on,, we mowed hay,, praying in doesn't rain,,,, about a third of the hay field was under water,, so we will bale that when it drys,, garden is just okay,, to much rain on it,,,:-=(

later
    " Don't outsmart your common sense"

Peg

12. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Howie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Pinky is a 1973, and I can just look at the engine, and know what every part does. But modern cars, are made so you can't work on them yourself. I can open the hood on the PT Cruiser, and even I don't know what everything is, and CAN'T work on it.

I couldn't even see the battery until I saw a guy take off the plastic cover that not only covers the battery, but has to be removed to install a new air cleaner. Give me an older car any day!
    Yes, it seems to be a sad thing that people can not work on their broken cars, discuss the problems with neighbors and get the satisfaction of fixing things they understand. Just the challenge of figuring out a solution is fun.
    We have 2 Corolla station wagons that were new in 1994! They are useful for the Farm but also registered for driving on the road. Both have new engines which we put in a few years ago. Our tractors are mostly from the 1940’s and 50’s.
    Constant tinkering keeps them running. Kind of like us.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

14. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Cherie's Avatar

Lovely respite from more than a week of 90 degree temps. I have the windows open with 72 outside and soft rain falling with thunder in the distance. We so need this. I SO NEED THIS!!!!

My labs came back yesterday and thyroid antibodies are sky high even though my T3, T4, and TSH are within normal values (typical of auto-immune thyroiditis or Hashimoto's Disease) so today I have started on a low dose of thyroid replacement hormone. Doc says this has the potential to help me be less fatigued, lose some weight, bring blood sugars and BP more in line, reduce edema. Please God, let this be true!

16. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

Synthroid can make a big difference and I hope you see good changes! If you take Lipoic Acid, don’t take synthroid within 4 hours of it.

Sluggish thyroid can def cause your symptoms.

18. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Cherie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Synthroid can make a big difference and I hope you see good changes! If you take Lipoic Acid, don’t take synthroid within 4 hours of it.

Sluggish thyroid can def cause your symptoms.
    I don't. Calcium supplements also have to wait for 4 hours which my doc has taken me off of several months ago. Nothing with interactions.

20. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast