Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast

Thread: OT July Chit Chat

Distinguished Community Member

I was (am?) an adopted child. I didn't know that until I was thirty, when a biological sibling called me up to wish me a happy birthday --,and to demand that, now that I knew I was adopted, I give them money to pay debts my biological mother had run up, paying doctor's bills for the emphysema she had....and was dying from.

I was adopted at 17 months old....my biological father and adoptive mother were brother and sister ,(for those keeping track, that makes her my aunt). When my bio mother abandoned me and my five older siblings, and ran off with another man by (with?) whom she was pregnant, my bio dad called his sister, offered me to her. Cash was exchanged....$500.. I became their child.

Some time later, bio mother, new baby in arms, came back. Gathered up her other kids, came to get me. Another $500 offered, and she left, picked up her brood, left her husband (,bio dad) for good, moved half way across the country.

When I found out I was adopted I confronted my adoptive mom, got no real explanation why she lied to me. I had no interest then to find out anything more about my bio family. A few months ago I was contacted by a ",second cousin twice removed", through Ancestry.com, but that was a short-lived contact. I have found out that I do have two bio brothers still alive, but since it's been 41 years since I've heard from any of them....I'm not going to start now!

Sunshine, she was relieved and thankful, from what I understand. To find out she had born a son who turned out to be exceptionally smart and living a wonderful life. She had long ago told his two half sisters the story of giving him up, so they too were excited to know that they would eventually meet their brother.

Edited to add: Cat you had a completely different situation and I can certainly understand why you would not care to have further contact. Each case is different. I am glad the one I was referring to turned out the way it did.
    Last edited by Virginia; 07-04-2018 at 01:12 PM.
    Virginia

3. The following 8 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Thumbs up

Here it is July 5th, back to reality. I got up, and went out and hooked my battery charger to the car, and now I wait. It was dead as a doornail. What does that mean? A doornail? My door doesn't have any nails in it! Maybe that's why my battery is dead! I shall drink this coffee while I ponder this. Have a great day all!
    Evolution spans the Universe.

5. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Cherie's Avatar

Staying in and keeping cool in the back corner of the house today (where the window Unit is). It was 78 at 7:30 this morning. Fortunately I had some work on the computer for a couple of hours this morning that will net a paycheck so that was a good excuse to stay in the A/C.

I do not expect to have any real surprises as a result of DNA analysis as both my mother's and my father's families have such extensive genealogical histories that have been documented and passed down to all of us over time. But, hey, maybe someone out there would benefit by knowing I exist in their lineage. One does have to be careful with schemers though and not get sucked into anything that involves monetary issues.

7. The following 8 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Howie, since it's a new battery, can you complain to the place you got it from--maybe get a replacement battery or a refund?

Things that don't work right drive me wild. Yesterday I had to buy the newer version of Microsoft Office, all because I depend on a couple of Excel files and Word as part of my daily existence. I keep my daily accounts and a record of library books and magazines received (to make sure I return them on time), for instance. I need Word when writing letters. But I had an ancient version of Office (2007), and "support" for it ended in October. Apparently on July 1 Microsoft decided to make it even more difficult to use it because I couldn't use it at all and got nowhere with their Help and Chat and Support and Contact Us. The story was always the same: "Nothing will work right for you from now on--you have to get this upgrade." Computers are a definite drain on the pocketbook.

Cat, your history is one more example--and there are many out there--of situations where children are in effect bought and sold because people have made deals, usually with little or no written record of them. You were able to find out some of the details about the transactions. Kids when they grow up usually do want to know the truth. What happened to you was shameful. But I keep learning of similar situations. People get desperate, I guess--so desperate that they give up their children.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

9. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Howie, call the garage where you got the battery. They should come to you and replace the battery w another New one.

This happened to me w a Mobil battery (2 in a row) when I lived in Chicago.

ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

11. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Cool

All is well with my car! The battery charged again pretty fast. Then I figured out what was draining it. There are two little lights, I think they are called running lights, and they were switched on. I probably turned them on by accident. Doh!!!

So I got gas, then went and got it inspected. Then went to the bank, and went inside to ask how to activate my new debit card. I've had it for awhile, so today was the day to find out. I went to the ATM and used it to get some cash, then to the store, then back home. I checked that all the lights were out.

That was a productive day, and now I'm in for awhile. Ahhhhhhh.....
    Evolution spans the Universe.

13. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Three cheers for Howie!!!
    Virginia

15. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Cherie's Avatar

Howie,
    I was going to ask if you had left the dome light on but I thought that would be too obvious.

17. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Howies battery problems sound like the trouble we're having with my Scion -- the only one of the 3 vehicles we have that I can get in to.... The battery keeps discharging. We've had it in to the shop multiple times. Somewhere in its innards there is something awry that is draining the battery. Not the dome light. Not the running lights. Not a door ajar. Not the emergency brake. Not the....every thing obvious and not-so-obvious. Yet, --and with a new battery -- if we don't run the car for about a week, it'll be as dead as Howies doornail. And the shop guys -- who, until this dilemma have been masters at fixing our cars -- are clueless as to why it is happening. They've checked everything repeatedly, can't find the problem. So we keep a battery charger plugged in and charging it. But of course this means that before we can go anyplace in the car, TC has to go out, disconnect the battery charger, hook the battery back together. Annoying. And I'm glad he's doing It as if I were driving I'd have to learn how to do it!

19. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast