Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151621 ... LastLast

Thread: OT July Chit Chat

Distinguished Community Member

Linda, I do not have Peapod in this area.

Jeanie, I too was wondering what the delivery charge is and how do you tip on something like this. I know how to tip in restaurant, but not to delivery people. I have never even ordered a pizza to be delivered to me.

If I try it I expect I will also use instacart. I think they are connected to Lowe's Foods here, but I am sure it is different in other parts of the country. I wish Harris-Teeter had a delivery service because I am more accustomed to what they have and what I can get from them. However, they do not have this service.
    Virginia

2. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

I started using Instacart in February this year to avoid people in the grocery stores during flu season. We have always shopped at 5 different groceries to get the items we want/need, because not all stores carry the same products. Initially, only 2 of the 5 stores were with Instacart. A few months ago, 2 of the other stores were added. I doubt that the fifth store will go with Instacart, as it is a very small chain. Unfortunately, that is our favorite store, and it's where we buy our multi vitamins, which is their brand. So every couple of months, I actually go to the store.

Depending upon how long Instacart has been serving your area, you may find that more stores will be added in the future.

Instacart makes tipping easy, once the order has been fulfilled and delivered. They provide a scale for tipping the shopper from 5-20%. They also provide an opportunity to post a complaint, and they respond quickly. All of this is done on line. I use my computer email, but most people use the app on their cell phones.

It took me a few times of ordering to figure out the process and to make sure that I've covered everything with the order. If I have a problem while ordering, I just call Instacart, and they resolve it over the phone.

You have the option, when you order any item, to include "Instructions" for that item. I usually state: "No replacement. Thanks." Or, I'll state: "Organic only. Thanks."

You can also chat on line with your shopper, while they are shopping for you.

You can choose the day and 1 hour delivery frame for every order you place.

Because I intend to continue to use Instacart for perpetuity, I paid $149/year for delivery. I place an order nearly every week, since I shop at 4 different stores. So, that is a savings for me, but for others, who won't use it frequently, it may not be a savings.

I factor many things into the cost of the service: the time it takes me to get ready, drive, shop, load/unload, lift, carry. I'm also saving gas, and we have a 1998 Dodge Ram with a w/c lift. Gas is expensive!

Since I started using Instacart, my back is much improved. Standing and walking around a store for an hour, plus the lifting and climbing in/out of the van was very stressful for me and wore me out completely by mid-day. And for me, it is so much better to not be away from Jim and Jon for 2 or more hours.

Jeanie ~ I did the same thing the first time I ordered. One banana and one tomato! You'll get the hang of it soon. I'm really glad you tried it!

To me, this is a blessing. It came at the perfect time too, as I was worrying what I would do about grocery shopping should Jim or Jon get very ill to where I couldn't leave them.

Please feel free to ask me any questions about Instacart. If you go to their website and enter your zip code, you will find the list of stores they serve in your area.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 49, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad.

4. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Cherie's Avatar

I use Peapod and have used it for 10 years now. Rarely a problem. Jeannie, with Buy one Get one, you have to order two then the second is free. Sometimes they have a bunch (5-6) bananas or a 3 pound bag of apples or 5 pound bag of potatoes. Otherwise you order by the single item.

If you have a Whole Foods in your area, Amazon prime now uses them for fresh grocery delivery as of just a few months ago.

6. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Jeanie Z's Avatar

Smile

:) The first order had a free delivery. I only had a dollar which I gave the young man. I will get some small bills for when I order again. Several things I regularly buy I did not see there, but do not need any of those right away. Next time I will spend more time looking but it was very late when I placed that order. Instacart delivers for Publix here. That is where I usually shop. Jeanie :)

8. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

How do they make money? They have to have staff shop each item, and drive it to the customer

10. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

How do I find out if Peapod delivers in this area? Instacart doesn't.
    Evolution spans the Universe.

12. The following 3 users say "thanks"

In one town here (not near enough to me) the grocery store does deliver -- and charges a flat $5.95 for a delivery. I'm assuming that if you buy a large enough order, it is still worth the $6 service charge. I'd think a 15 -20 percent tip -- just like going to a restaurant== would be reasonable. Or maybe a couple of dollars a bag, if you have a large order.

Rose -- you shop at 4 or more stores for groceries?? There are two grocery stores in our town...I've been in the second one maybe a half dozen times. The other one -- I've shopped enough in it that (unless they change things around, which has happened a couple of times) I know where everything is in the store, and so when I have to send someone to the store for me, I can tell them where to look for the items on my list. I don't like shopping enough to go around to multiple stores for stuff!

Yes, every on line shopping experience is a bit different, and it takes a couple of times to get the hang of it. I see someone already said, when you want a free item on a "buy one, one free", you have to click on two items (or enter 2). I online shop at Amazon and Walmart, and each has a somewhat different system to place the order. I'm most familiar with Amazon, as the groceries are done almost exactly like anything else bought there.

14. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

jeanie ~

In my experience, the tip has been charged when you place the order at the lowest amount. So, it goes onto your total, when you checkout. I also gave the shopper a cash tip the first time, until I realized I can decide the tip and change it after the delivery. You should get an email from Instacart as your receipt. Scroll to the bottom of the email, and you'll see a button:

Screen Shot 2018-07-10 at 3.49.12 PM.png

Click on that and it takes you to Instacart, where you can rate the service and adjust the tip.

I recommend going to Publix, when you aren't ordering to familiarize yourself with what they have. I search for items or categories, so that I can see what's available.

The next time you order, you should get a page with all of the items you ordered this time. It saves searching for them. It's called "Your List," and it's done for all of the stores. Every time you order, it's updated.

Virginia ~

Perhaps it would help if you either called or spoke in person to the manager of Harris-Teeter and ask that H-T consider using Instacart. If enough customers indicate they want this service, then maybe H-T will join Instacart.

Sunshine ~

Here's an older article about How Instacart Makes Its Money:

http://vator.tv/news/2016-08-02-how-...art-make-money

And here's an article from April 2018 about Tipping:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bizcars.../#774bf03574e8

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 49, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad.

16. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

((((((Cat)))))) ~

Quote Originally Posted by Catdancer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Rose -- you shop at 4 or more stores for groceries?? There are two grocery stores in our town...I've been in the second one maybe a half dozen times. The other one -- I've shopped enough in it that (unless they change things around, which has happened a couple of times) I know where everything is in the store, and so when I have to send someone to the store for me, I can tell them where to look for the items on my list. I don't like shopping enough to go around to multiple stores for stuff!
    We live in a giant metropolis and have grocery stores everywhere. Because we are vegetarians, and we primarily eat organic food, not every store carries what we want. Meat substitutes are a prime example. Not every store carries every brand of meat alternatives, and most stores only carry a small sampling of the entire line.

For example, Jim likes Quorn, which is high in protein. Two of the 5 stores don't carry Quorn, and the other three carry a little of this or that, but not the entire Quorn line. So, to get the items he wants, I have to go to all 3 stores. It's the same with Field Roast, Yves, Tofurky, Beyond Meat, Gardein.

Only one of the 5 stores carries Jim's favorite brand of tea. And so on ...

I know exactly where everything is in all 5 stores, and I create my Instacart shopping list so that the shopper goes around the store from entrance to exit, without having to search for anything.

Believe me, I wish that I could find everything in one or even two stores, but that isn't the case. The only store, which comes closest to that is the one that isn't on Instacart, and it takes me over 2 hours to get there and back and to shop.

I hate shopping! And going to 5 different stores was wearing me out and causing me extreme RA pain.

But, I am shopping primarily for Jim, who needs food he likes and wants to eat, food that is high in protein, food that tastes good to him, because his taste buds are affected by chemo, immunotherapy, and radiation. He only likes a certain kind of yogurt, and that is only carried in one of the stores.

With Instacart, I only have to go physically to the one store. And when I get there, I clean them out, so I don't have to return for a couple of months.

I wish that Instacart existed, when I was a single mom, working outside of the home, and even after that. I used to take my boys with me, both in wheelchairs, to grocery shop or go to Costco. No internet then. Pushing 2 w/c's and pulling a loaded cart. No one in the store ever offered to help me, until I got to the checkout, then the bagging person (usually male) would ask me if I wanted help to my car. I was usually not in a great mood at that point, and I would answer sarcastically, "What do you think?!"

Instacart is a dream come true for me. I can only do so much on 3-4 hours of sleep per night. And if I keel over, Jim and Jon ~ well, I'm in charge of everything, so it would be devastating for them. Jim says, "We'd be lost without you." And that's true. I'm not bragging. It's just a fact.

Love & Light,

Rose

18. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Howie, Pea Pod is for Stop and Shop. Do you have any of those near you?

I think you have mentioned Food Lion. Here is their website:
    https://www.foodlion.com/homedelivery
    They do say they deliver using Instacart.

Do you have another major grocer in the area?
    ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

20. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151621 ... LastLast