Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Keep on Moving Club: July 2018

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

We can not compare ourselves to each other. We each have different extent of impairment. Like, you can walk distances,and I can’t!

I swam 20mimutes today, 606 yards

2. The following 5 users say "thanks"

swam 20 minutes today, 560yards. Ran 3 errands after. Mistake. Near spasming now....

4. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Pegakafarmgirl's Avatar

such a beautiful evening,, we went riding,,except the bugs and misquitos,, were swarming.. we sprayed the horses down,, but Joe and I got bit,,its gonna heat up again,, our riding trails by the river ,, we can't use yet completely under water was fun too
    " Don't outsmart your common sense"

Peg

6. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

She's back in the saddle again!
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

8. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Yay Peg! You go girl!

10. The following 6 users say "thanks"

I went surfing today. Two of my buddies provided transportation and help to carry all of my gear and push the wheelchair. The waves are very beautiful. They were clean and about thigh high. It was a really friendly bunch on the water as well.

I caught about six waves and one of them was very satisfying. So nice to be in the ocean on a longboard. I just love gliding across the surface and feeling the water splash all around. I seem to tolerate the exercise a bit more than usual which was very nice to see!

It is wonderful to be out there on the water amongst such fun loving and healthy people. The older ones all have their challenges whether it’s joint problems, cardiac problems, or diabetes etc. Well it is hard to forget ones limitations when pain keeps reporting, there are wonderful life affirming things that certainly provide a delicious distraction.I have learned to pay close attention to any chatting coming from my feet or shins. I get out immediately and rest 10 or 15 minutes until the sensations quit. I think that has helped to avoid muscle spasms.

I did notice that my pop-up was better than it had been. I was able to get to my feet without getting on my knees. I don’t know whether it was the nature of the wave or whether there has actually been improvement in symptoms.

I am going surfing again tomorrow morning unless I cannot recover from today.
    Last edited by Sunshine; 07-07-2018 at 11:56 AM.

12. The following 5 users say "thanks"

I woke up at 1 a.m. with ankle spasms pulling my feet sideways. Oof. Took Tizanidine.
    By breakfast I was okay. So, with trepidation, I went surfing

It was a repeat of yesterday. I can see my body healing somewhat— my pop up is better, and my balance on the board is better. I was able to take a couple of steps on the board too. I got manywaves , by resting every 10 to 15minites to settle down the muscle tension.

14. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Swam 15 minutes, 1/4 mile. I will stop until Thursday to see if it’s aggravating back issues

16. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

I hope the swimming is not aggravating your back, Sunshine, as you enjoy it so much and it helps you.

Yesterday I had PT (every Tuesday since mid-May). I took Uber to Spaulding Cambridge. I get off at the main entrance and walk to the back on purpose. Itís a big building but I can use the extra steps.

We always start w a check in on homework. If anything seems too easy she tweaks it to make it harder or involve more muscles. There is one that involves being on my back on the floor (PT platform when Iím there). I put my heels on a 65 cm ball and tighten my butt and abs and lift off the mat in an angled line. This one is to strengthen the core which I dearly need.

After homework check-in, I went on the Total Gym machine. This is not what I am doing but the machine we are using to strengthen legs and abs:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WdEY2WYKMpw

After that, I earned a rest and some water. Then some balance work between balance bars.

Last was 12 minutes on an ergonomic stepper that uses arms and legs. I did 12 minutes (2 more than last week) at a workload of 5 out of 10. Last week was a workload of 4.

I feel very challenged. I feel like my arms and legs are stronger. I am more active in general and have lost an unintentional 7#s.

My friend Ann picked me up and we went to lunch and to see her new apartment. Then she drove me home.

And I did not need ice packs on muscles last night!
    ANN
    Last edited by stillstANNding; 07-11-2018 at 06:49 AM.
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

18. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Sounds as if you're very fit, ANN. I couldn't lie on my back on the floor, and no PT has ever given me an exercise where I had to do that. Maybe the PTs have taken one look at me and just known that that was beyond me. Core strengthening has always been stressed though.

I don't think I've ever seen a TotalGym machine.Looks like a really good idea.

You're an inspiration--and a reminder that more exercise means easier weight loss.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

20. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast