Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Genentech announces 4th case of PML with Tysabri to Ocrevus.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Genentech announces 4th case of PML with Tysabri to Ocrevus.

Today Genentech announced a 4th case of PML in a person who was JCV positive that was switched from Tysabri to Ocrevus. I learned this from the forum that we use for the International Organization of Multiple Sclerosis Nurses (IOMSN). The thinking among the group is that caution is increasing in switching a JCV+ individual from Tysabri to Ocrevus without at least 3-6 months of washout as all cases have developed after the first dose of Ocrevus and within a couple of months of the last dose of Tysabri. Nurses in NJ, NM and MO all reported today that they had received calls this morning from their Genentech support team alerting to this latest case. I have asked for a link and looked for a link to substantiate this but have not found anything yet. Will post as soon as I do.

Thanks Cherie, this is important news. Am so glad you showcased it....Maybe also post a duplicate on the Ocrevus thread?

Comment

Here is a link to the announcement. Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

Comment

Thank you for posting this, Cherie.

I'm wondering about the note under the chart showing the 4 PML cases. It says:

Note: All of the above PML cases were non-fatal as of the time of each respective report
        The reports range from May 2017 to June 2018. There may be no way of knowing but I wonder how those 4 patients have been doing.
        SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) since December 2020.

Comment

Good question. While is was originally thought that all cases of PML were fatal, with the knowledge gained that plasma exchange can help if administered early in the course of disease, they are seeing very few fatalities. I know 2 persons with PML who had Plasma exchange and both are in nursing homes and needing complex care.

Comment

If a person was on Tysabri, but did not have JCV , and then switched to Ocrevus, I assume then that there is no PML issue?

Comment

Working...
            X