Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drugs soon for SPMS, maybe

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Drugs soon for SPMS, maybe

Multiple Sclerosis News Today (June 27) discusses a report issued by Spherix Global Insights, entitled "After Ocrevus approval, new MS therapies may become available, report suggests":

https://multiplesclerosisnewstoday.c...ome-available/

I'm not familiar with Spherix Global Insights but found out that it has been around for only 3 years. It seems to be an information provider for anyone interested in investing in pharmaceuticals but I'm not sure.

One of the drugs discussed, MD-1003, is also known as high-dose biotin.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

2. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

Thanks...I have been reading about Biotin fo a long time now...nice to see the promise of help coming!
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

4. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

I stopped my Biotin a couple of months ago. It may have been a mistake. I just don't know.
    Virginia

6. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

What made you stop?

8. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Cherie's Avatar

I stopped mine because it was interfering with lab values. Turns out many of today's lab equipment uses a form of biotin in their reagents when testing blood. It can make a non-diabetic look severely hyperglycemic. It can also give false readings on thyroid tests. To give you an example, my blood glucose showed up as 329 in a test done in the lab and my glucometer read it as 97 at the same time. We did several control checks in the months I was on Biotin and even using the hospital or office glucometer, we were getting readings consistent with mine (normal range) but the blood tested in the lab was always dangerously high.

10. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Virginia View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I stopped my Biotin a couple of months ago. It may have been a mistake. I just don't know.
    They are talking about very high dose of Biotin....that will be interesting.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

12. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

Same here Cherie. Neuro stopped due to skewed labs and no apparent benefit. But I was only on it 6 months

14. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Linda, I was on the very high dose as prescribed by my Neuro. It was not bothering me however I have one more shipment of Rebif coming Tuesday and then I will be paying the co-payments for the rest of the year. The biotin was $90.00 per month. It's not like anything else is cutting down. I feel everything going up every time I turn around. It could be because I have to pay for so many things that I use to have someone do for me, such as just changing light bulbs, cleaning attic, and painting my upstairs and on and on. Much of this I would have done myself years ago. But then I also had someone who would do what I couldn't. I have even got to pay to get someone in to change my refrigerator filter. It is at the bottom and hard to do. The lady who helps me cannot do it.

I am searching for a handyman, but there is none to be found in this area. When I mention this to anyone everyone just laughs. There is close to 100% employment in this area. So who cares about the work that I want done. Even my brother wanted to do a few things to his house before he closes it out in late July, but he can't get anyone.

So, I let biotin go. If I can't continue with the Rebif payments, I will restart it probably,
    Virginia

16. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Virginia, when I moved here I needed someone to put up a couple of pictures and curtain fixtures, and I used either Yelp or Angie's List and found someone fairly easily. He did a good job too. I believe it was Yelp because at that time Angie's List charged a fee. It's free now.

If you haven't tried either of those, you just might find someone.
    Last edited by agate; 06-28-2018 at 10:02 PM.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

18. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Agate, I have used Angie's List. However, now getting a good handyman even through them is hard to do. I will check out Yelp.
    Virginia

20. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast