Thread: Big Pharma Discovers Marijuana

Distinguished Community Member tic chick's Avatar

Default Big Pharma Discovers Marijuana

hey everyone!

the day has come! all of a sudden Big Pharma has discovered that marijuana is useful for some forms of epilepsy!

seems the fda, which decried the use of marijuana for medical purposes for a long time, has suddenly changed it's mind and now says drug companies can manufacture pills for certain diseases. lets see how much Big Pharma will gouge the public!

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...aceutical-drug

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has approved a marijuana-derived drug for the treatment of two rare and serious forms of epilepsy, Lennox-Gastaut syndrome and Dravet syndrome, that begin in childhood but can persist in adulthood.

The drug is made from purified cannabidiol, or CBD, a compound found in the cannabis plant. The drug will be marketed under the brand name Epidiolex.

CBD has medicinal effects, but it does not cause the mind-altering high that comes from THC, the primary psychoactive component of marijuana.

The FDA says this is the first drug approved in the U.S. that contains a purified substance derived from marijuana. The agency has previously approved drugs made from synthetic versions of THC and other marijuana constituents.

"This approval serves as a reminder that advancing sound development programs that properly evaluate active ingredients contained in marijuana can lead to important medical therapies," said FDA Commissioner Scott Gottlieb during a call with reporters about the approval. Several states have legalized CBD oil specifically for the treatment of intractable epilepsy or seizure disorders. And, as NPR has reported, CBD supplements are available widely online and in dispensaries in the form of oils or tinctures. CBD oil has gained popularity with consumers as a remedy for a variety of other ailments. However, the legal status of these products is uncertain, as is their quality. They're not regulated the way pharmaceutical drugs are, so the consistency and dose can vary widely.

Having an FDA-approved, pharmaceutical-grade CBD drug will open up a new treatment option for epilepsy patients by delivering a high-quality, consistent dose of CBD, says Robert Carson a pediatric neurologist at Vanderbilt University who treats patients with epilepsy.

"Our biggest concerns with the artisanal [or supplement] versions of CBD were related to the consistency," Carson says. "We can't guarantee the consistency." Carson says he will likely prescribe Epidiolex going forward. "I'm always excited about the potential for a new therapy that has been well-studied and has a great potential for benefit," he says.

Several researchers are studying the potential of CBD to treat psychiatric conditions. For instance, a clinical trial is underway to test whether CBD can be an effective treatment for people with post-traumatic stress disorder and alcohol use disorder. Another clinical trial will determine whether CBD could help prevent relapse in opioid abusers.

The approval of Epidiolex may help open the door to more CBD research, as it helps to lift one regulatory hurdle. Until now, the Drug Enforcement Administration has classified CBD as a Schedule 1 substance. Like other drugs in this category, which include heroin and LSD, these drugs are considered to have no medical use and a high potential for abuse.

But now, with the approval of a CBD drug, the DEA will change this, according to Dr. Douglas Throckmorton, deputy director of regulatory programs at the FDA's Center for Drug Evaluation and Research,

"The DEA will need to make a different scheduling decision for CBD...because it now has an accepted medical use," he said during a conference call with reporters.

He said the reclassification is underway now.
    thank you for reading,
    jeannie
    Last edited by tic chick; 06-26-2018 at 12:39 PM.
    Here's to good women. May we know them. May we be them. May we raise them.
    "The world is a better place when you're barefoot." Mark
    "Don't go there unless you know the way back." TC
    "...there will be an answer. Let it be." Paul McCartney

Distinguished Community Member houghchrst's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wow they didn't even spell it with an h, marihuana, lol which is usually what government agencies like to do to try to make it different.

Quote Originally Posted by houghchrst View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wow they didn't even spell it with an h, marihuana, lol which is usually what government agencies like to do to try to make it different.
    I really doubt about whether marijuana has any real health benefits. Where can I find some good reasearched info on this topic? I really want to know about this stuff.

Thank you.
    rachel.

Blog Entries

Honey the research is everywhere. As for health benefits ask anyone who is using for pain, neurological issues, mental issues or more. I have a friend whose tumors have shrunk since he started using the oil capsules. My DIL uses it to keep her migraines from her tumor at bay. Since she started smoking she has less migraines and said the heaviness in her head from the tumor is going away. She is to be tested soon to see how far it has shrunk.

Blog Entries

As for me I haven't had a real migraine in almost ten years, was able to go off both of those meds, IBS attacks down from almost daily to once every couple of months so no meds for that. Pain meds have been refused because I do use CBD and THC so I make due with what I have. There is nothing like being pain wracked all day long and then climbing into a hot tub with a CBD infused bath bomb. The sleep, I can't say enough about the level of sleep I get. Deep, dreamy, and I wake with no nasty side effects. I would like to one day get off all of my meds but it will take a lot of work first.

Here is a short video https://www.facebook.com/NowThisOpin...2541483161642/
    Last edited by houghchrst; 09-06-2018 at 04:46 AM.

Distinguished Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by houghchrst View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As for me I haven't had a real migraine in almost ten years, was able to go off both of those meds, IBS attacks down from almost daily to once every couple of months so no meds for that. Pain meds have been refused because I do use CBD and THC so I make due with what I have. There is nothing like being pain wracked all day long and then climbing into a hot tub with a CBD infused bath bomb. The sleep, I can't say enough about the level of sleep I get. Deep, dreamy, and I wake with no nasty side effects. I would like to one day get off all of my meds but it will take a lot of work first.

Here is a short video https://www.facebook.com/NowThisOpin...2541483161642/
    Hi christina... so good to know you are still around and it makes me feel better just hearing anything fgrom you yep you are a charming person and no arguing about that! i am hoping that your boys and family are doing okay and that you have gotten your house (space i mean) back. i have a friend that says her friend is prescribed MJ for pain and that it helps tremendously. oh how i would love that. i aqm on so much medicine as it is even before i add the pills for pain. i have a place in my throat that is now catching those danged things as i swallow and so i have to try eating anything and drinking s much to make them move on down. awful. take care