Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MRI - please help

Default MRI - please help

Hello all. I had an MRI last week do to short term memory loss. Iím always misplacing my keys and phone. I had to resign from my job because of the memory loss. There was no trauma to the brain. I am female, 50 years old. My grandmother on my moms side had Alzheimerís.

My general practitioner (he ordered the test) is out of the office. One of his staff called me to tell me the results. They said there was no tumor or signs of stroke. BUT they said there was difference in blood vessels in my brain. They are having me do blood work.

When I search for the cause I keep getting results that say brain hemorrhage or stroke. But they said there was no stroke.

I know no one can diagnose me and Iím not asking for anyone to do so.

Just wondering if anyone out there may have heard of something like this before.

Thanks

2. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((JanetJas)))))) ~

To BRAINTALK!

Was the person, who called you, more specific about the difference in your blood vessels? Perhaps you could call your doctor's office and ask if you could receive a copy of your MRI results. That way you could look up terms used in the results to help you define what the changes represent. Or, ask a nurse in the office to speak to you about the results and provide you with some details.

The good news is that you haven't had a stroke and don't have a tumor or evidence of trauma to your brain. Hold on tight to those blessings.

Please stop by and let us know what you learn about your results.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 49, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad.

4. The following user says "thanks"

Thank you Rosefor reaching out to me.

The fact that something there worries me. What could cause this???

The person that called was the doctors nurse. All that they said was that there was a difference in the blood vessels in my brain and they want to do blood work.

No tumor no stroke, so why is there a difference? Something has to have happened to have caused that, but I donít know what. Something is causing the forgetfulness and memory loss and the blood vessel situation.

I am going to get a copy of the MRI tomorrow. Itís scary.

6. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

((((((JanetJas)))))) ~

It is certainly scary, and I completely understand your trepidation and worry. Maybe a call to the nurse and telling her that you're frightened about the results and need more detailed information would help. Make a list of questions, such as, "What kind of difference is in the blood vessels?" "How many vessels are different?" "What does it mean?" "What are you looking for in my blood work?"

Don't be afraid to ask questions. You have a right to know everything and have everything explained to you in terms you can understand. Take notes, so that you won't forget what the nurse tells you.

When you get your results, if you want to share them here, some of us may have experience with similar results on MRIs and might be able to help you better.

I'm so sorry that you're having memory loss and had to leave your job. I hope that whatever it is showing up on the MRI is easily treatable and that you have excellent, compassionate medical care.

Sending healing, calming energy your way ~

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 49, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad.

8. The following user says "thanks"

Hello again Rose

Iím calling the doc first thing in the morning. I just canít come up with why there is a difference. What causes this to happen. Is it more on the normal, letís just see or more of itís like hey, this shouldnít be happening .

No trauma, no stroke, no tumor.:..then how did this happen???

10. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

((((((JanetJas)))))) ~

Good. If your doctor isn't available, then ask the nurse to let you speak to another physician, who will be able to answer your questions. I can't stress enough that you have a right to know everything. And you have to be your own advocate and speak up. Say, "I don't understand," if you don't. Ask the doctor to write down important things, so you won't forget what he said. Or ask if you can record your appointment with your doctor.

My husband has memory loss from chemo, immunotherapy, and radiation. So, he has a written list of questions, when he sees his doctor. And the doctor makes notes on that list to help him remember.

Memory loss is the primary reason, apparently, why you had the MRI, so your physician and staff should be more than willing to answer your questions and help you remember the answers.

Physicians tend to provide "progressive disclosure," on the premise that they're protecting their patients from worrying about what it might be in a worst case scenario. That is the wrong approach, because, if we don't know what is wrong with us, we think it is the worst case scenario. Whereas, if we're given the various possibilities for our condition, including the worst case scenario, at least we have something to hang our hope on.

The brain is a marvelous, intricate, complicated, complex and fascinating organ, upon which we depend for survival. So anything impacting our brain is going to make us ultra nervous and stressed. Of course, that's not helpful.

So, if you can, try to find a quiet place, take deep, long breaths inhaling through your nostrils and exhaling slowly through your mouth. Be sure that you are in a comfortable position. Try to consciously relax your body from the top of your head to the tips of your toes. Keep breathing. Think good thoughts. Imagine a beautiful place, where you are happy and calm. Stay in that place and visualize it, as you breathe and relax your body.

This is a simple exercise to help you reduce your stress. Don't hyperventilate. Everything is meant to be done slowly and peacefully.

You're not alone. We're here for you.

Try to relax tonight, get some sleep, and call your doctor tomorrow and get the answers you need to help you go forward.

Love & Light,

Rose

12. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Rose you are so awesome!!!!! In fact awesome just called me to tell me how awesome you are, and thatís pretty awesome!!

14. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

((((((JanetJas)))))) ~

Awww ... thank you!

But, I'm not awesome really. I'm experienced. If you look at my signature, you'll see that I have nearly half a century of dealing with complicated medical issues for my sons. Now, my husband has cancer, so I add that to my list of experiences, as well as all of my elders, etc. Additionally, I've been a member of BrainTalk for 18 years, and I've read hundreds of thousands of posts in every one of our forums. I've learned a lot.

So, I just share what I've learned to help others, and I know you are truly nervous and scared, as you have every reason to be. But, first, I want to help you find some calm and peace, so you can rest and sleep, because you have challenges before you in finding out more about your MRI results.

Please take care of yourself and be good to yourself. And think positive thoughts.

You're in my prayers.

Love & Light,

Rose

16. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member
    Blog Entries

Hi JanetJas,

I'm not a doctor but I have Cerebral Palsy caused by brain damage before or during birth and recently wrote a film about a stroke survivor http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php so I have some knowledge of the brain and its biology. One of my film fans has a stutter and explained to me that some forms of stuttering are caused by slightly reduced blood flow or changes in the vessels. From what I understand this type of problem does not cause permeant damage to the brain like a stroke would but it changes the function of the brain somewhat causing some symptoms. Since you mention you have memory issues it brings to mind something I read in a book once about a form of Alzheimer’s caused by a blood flow problem, the name was something like "Vascular Alzheimer’s.". The book said this type of Alzheimer’s was easier to treat than the regular type if I remember correctly and can be reversed. I'm not sure what the treatment would be. As to blood vessel issues my guess is that the blood vessels are narrow for some reason or new blood vessels have grown in new spots to repair damage to original vessels and blood flow. I think some of vessel issues can be genetic. I was also told by a cardiologist that heart issues can cause issues with blood flow to the brain and it is possible for blood to flow through the heart or brain in the wrong directions. Did they test your heart or mention wanting to test your heart after this result?
    I completely understand your fear after having to have medical tests done earlier in the year myself. The first doctor was not specific at all. It felt like the doc had dropped a bomb on me by suggesting a rather involved test without telling me why. I was like "If you think I'm about to have a stroke or heart attack or something just say so! I'd rather know now!" and he blew it off. And it freaked me out and pissed me off so bad I took it out horribly on a random person who had nothing to do with the doc or situation and came across like a jerk. Please demand the doc be specific or find another ASAP before the stress gets to you like it did me. Please also feel free to vent to me anytime. Hope this helps!

xo funnylegs4,
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

18. The following user says "thanks"

Thanks to you all 😀

I got the paper copy of the mri. Can I post the results, of the mri, without any identifying info? I donít see the doc, until next Monday and am trying to piece it together.

20. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast