Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: OT June Chit Chat

Distinguished Community Member

Well, bad news in the family. My older brother who lives in South Carolina has been in rehab for a couple of weeks due to a fall. His wife, is a year younger than I am and they say she had a stroke in her eye. The Doctor told her she might go blind. I don't know if she might go blind in just that one eye or not. Anyway, the Doctor says she cannot drive any longer. So, my brother left rehab which was alright because they were ready to let him go anyway. He went home to take care of her and so that he could do the driving. He went home I think Monday. He fell yesterday. He went to the Doctor and they said he can't drive any longer.

All of his four children live in North Carolina. So one of his daughters went down today to take care of things for them and to tell them that they would have to leave Hilton Head, SC and move to North Carolina where all the children are. Plus she has a daughter who lives in North Carolina. They love where they are and I would hate to have to have that conversation with them. They are all on one floor, even the garage.

My brother's wife fell back in January or February and they came here after that. I saw her and her eye was still red inside and black around the outside. I wonder if that caused the stroke. Seems like a long time.

Anyway, could I just get a little good news for a change? I was already worried about my Rebif and being able to afford it. Now this. My brother is 2 1/2 years older than I am and she is a year younger. I am the one that has MS!!! I wish they would both just use walkers.
    Virginia

2. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Oh, Virginia, I'm so sorry your family is having troubles! Getting old isn't for the faint-hearted. I can understand the childrens desire to get their parents close...but I also understand your brother's reluctance to move away. Falling is a real problem with folks our age.... and a leading cause of people having to move into assisted living and other arrangements. It's tough. And tough to give up driving -- I had to do that a few years ago, when I was too sick to take a driver test. I don't think I could get into my car now, anyway -- can't independently transfer. Anyway, I hope they all come to a satisfactory solution.
    ...I am not a doctor nor medical professional, and don't pretend to be one, here... :o

4. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Virginia)))))) ~

I will pray for good news for you and your family. It's important that you take very good care of yourself, while under so much stress and worry.

John's mother has fallen several times. She had a lumbar puncture, and it was determined that she has a Cerebral Spinal Fluid leak, which means that she needs to have a shunt placed. She is 78. Has this possibility been ruled out with your brother and sister-in-law?

In lieu of moving to North Carolina, perhaps it would be worth it for their children to investigate in home care for your brother and sister-in-law. It sounds to me like they may both need a caregiver present to ensure that they don't injure themselves, if they fall, and to fix their meals, help them dress/bathe, clean, transport them to doctor visits.

If they move closer to their children, then their children need to be prepared to either find caregivers or become caregivers. That is a major life change for all of them.

This is the part of aging, which we all dread, so it's best to plan ahead and find out what resources are available, before those resources are needed.

I will pray for the best solution for your brother, sister-in-law, their children and the family. And for peace and comfort for you all.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad.

6. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Jeanie Z's Avatar

Smile

:) I need help. Those of you using CBD oil, where do you get it? Do you need a RX ? What is the strength and amount of an order. What does an order cost? I think I read somewhere here that you can apply it to arthritic joints.

All info appreciated. Thanks, Jeanie :)

8. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Jeanie, I don't know how to get the CBD oil, so you will have to wait for someone who does to come along. However, Rose is a very big believer in that, but also in holding a paper towel soaked in Witch Hazel on joints. If you can get a bottle of that before you are able to get the CBD oil, you could give it a try. It did help me one time with one of my knees.

I am so sorry you are hurting. I wish I could help you.
    Virginia

10. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Sunshine has all the info on CBD you need.
    "A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."

12. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Cherie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanie Z View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    :) I need help. Those of you using CBD oil, where do you get it? Do you need a RX ? What is the strength and amount of an order. What does an order cost? I think I read somewhere here that you can apply it to arthritic joints.

Jeanie, I got mine from the pharmacy and it was 100 mg. Then I found it on Amazon a bit cheaper at 750 mg. I do not see any change or benefit to taking it orally but it sure helps when I apply it to the skin over a patch of painful neuropathy. David has also noticed fairly rapid relief from pain in arthritic fingers.

14. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanie Z View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Jeanie, there are two types of CBD products. One is from hemp plant and is legal, but unregulated, and thus hard to find one you know has CBd and know doesn’t have fly wings, pesticides, lead...you get the idea. My brother in law has success with Edens Cure. Order it on line. I believe he uses 2-3 Eye dropperfuls per dose.

The Second type of CBD comes from the cannabis plant. You know this as marijuana. Medical marijuana carefully titrates the amount of THC and CBD. You have to go to a special marijuana doctor of which I am sure there are many in your area. They are state certified. They will certify you as having a qualifying condition. You will not use the word arthritis when you see them. You will use The words multiple sclerosis because arthritis is not a qualifying condition as written by the Florida law. However, the product can help your arthritis and really help multiple sclerosis pain and spasticity.

After you see the doctor you apply for your medical marijuana card through a Florida website run by the state. The doctor will teach you how to do this. It takes about 45 days to get certified certified. You are then in the database which allows you to purchase your product from a medical marijuana dispensary.

It may seem more expensive initially, but it would probably end up being cheaper than going the hemp route. And much more affective.

16. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Edited to add: you might try Cherie’s route rather than Edens Cure . It seems a lot less cumbersome than Edens Cure. And probably much cheaper

Cherie, can you post link to the amazon CBD you like?
    Last edited by Sunshine; 06-14-2018 at 10:19 AM.

18. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Virginia, this is a very hard situation for you and your family. I think all of us here can see the very personal side since we we ageing and not gracefully.

20. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast