Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Stem Cells and Richard Cohen

Distinguished Community Member

Default Stem Cells and Richard Cohen

I taped the View today because Meredith Viera and her husband Richard Cohen were going to be on. He has had MS for 40 years or so and has always walked with a cane. It has not been a smooth journey for him.

He, along with Meredith, went to the Vatican twice (met the Pope) and Richard is doing stem cell therapy. He did not say what kind. He has written a book "Chasing Hope", which I intend to read.

He says he has seen "some" benefits, but they think he would have had more accept that he developed another auto immune disease during the first one and also got a blood clot in a lung (unrelated to stem cell therapy). He has now been approved for 2nd trial phase.

He says that some people have gotten up and walked after this therapy. I'll see what I think after reading his book, although it is still just in 2nd trial.
    Virginia

2. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thanks so much for calling attention to this book. I read his 2004 book, BLINDSIDED, and thought it was excellent.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

I was part of his MS blog for years...I think it may be on Facebook now. I never got any rosy impression of his thinking about the stem cell therapy so I was surprised with this news. Interesting.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

I went to Richard Cohen’s blog which I have not been to in a while and found this:

“Finally”

by Richard Cohen on April 20, 2018 in JOURNEYMAN
    The Chasing Hope pub date is May 1st, one week from Monday, the day I thought would never come. Now I have to figure out what I want to do when I grow up. When the book is out and the band stops playing, the uncertainty will remain as my feet hit the floor each morning and I wonder what comes next.

I pledged in this space a while ago that I would not use the Journey Man blog to promote the book. I intend to honor those words. I will say, if each of you will buy 750 books, I will have a best seller. No? Damn. Actually it really does not matter. I’ve been lucky enough to have two New York Times Best Sellers so far, and I still feel crummy. I continue to wonder why in the world I write these books.

Writing is not fun. The great sports writer, Red Smith, once commented, “Writing is easy. You just open a vein and bleed.” Humorous and true. Writing is an obsession, an addiction for which there is no cure. Many who say they want to write simply long to have written.

The secret is, in fact, the obvious. Have something worth reading and the rest will follow. It’s not rocket science. For those of us who live with a debilitating disease, there is no shortage of issues worth exploring. If we can make our lives less difficult or at least more satisfying by helping another, I believe it is worth the effort. That does not have to be through writing. The written word can be self-serving. Just do something for one in need. That will do it. I am not looking for a medal or merit badge, only the small satisfaction that I have helped others.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

Agate, I also read Blindsided and really liked it. He wrote a second one which I also enjoyed. The title is Strong at the Broken Places. This is about several different people who are living with debilitating diseases, and how they cope.

Linda, you know his voice had been so weak, at times it was hard to hear him. Yesterday on The View I felt it sounded stronger. I did not have a problem hearing him and he did not sound as gravelly as he had in the past. But it is still a wait and see. I don't know what The Vatican had to do with any of this and why they went two different times. I think on one of the trips their children went with them.
    Virginia

Distinguished Community Member Cherie's Avatar

I highly respect him. He has taken risks and treatments that many of us cannot take due to financial or travel constraints and tells us how those risks have panned out. This is valuable information. Please remember men and women often respond differently to the same treatment. Younger and older often do not respond in the same manner and those who are new to MS generally do not have the same response as those of us who have had it for years. Richard Cohen is a beacon for those of us who are older and living with this longer. I appreciate the risks he is taking and the willingness to share the experience and outcomes.

Cherie, I feel the same way. It is also hard for him to write because he is legally blind. I am not sure how much he can see now, but the last time I heard him talk about it his sight was pretty bad.

I think dictating or not being able to see what one writes would be much harder - not that writing a book would be easy under any circumstances. I also admire Meredith who has stuck by him for many years through many things. He has had colon cancer twice and several other things. He once said they deal through humor, but that would take a lot of humor, especially since she has always been so active.
    Virginia

Distinguished Community Member Cherie's Avatar

Fortunately there are still a few of us who have spouses who meant the , "for better or worse, in sickness and in health, until we are parted by death" part of our vows. Dave and I will celebrate 43 years of that on June 1 and I am blessed. It has not been always easy and has sometimes been VERY difficult but I believe Richard and Meredith take those vows seriously as well as deeply respecting each other. They are wonderful role models.

Tom Car and I will be celebrating our 50th on June 1...

11. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Quote Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Fortunately there are still a few of us who have spouses who meant the , "for better or worse, in sickness and in health, until we are parted by death" part of our vows. Dave and I will celebrate 43 years of that on June 1 and I am blessed. It has not been always easy and has sometimes been VERY difficult but I believe Richard and Meredith take those vows seriously as well as deeply respecting each other. They are wonderful role models.

June 1st was a special date! John and I will be experiencing 50 years on June 1st!!!! I say ‘experiencing’ because the Farm is in full swing and I know we will wave to each other as we pass by in the fields. Maybe a 👍 thumbs up to celebrate the day!
    Linda~~~~

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast