Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Stem Cells and Richard Cohen

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

nuthatch ~

Yikes! My skin is crawling ... ewww ~ so sorry your home is being invaded by pests.

I found this regarding earwigs:

https://www.almanac.com/pest/earwigs

Other ant control remedies we've tried:

Cinnamon ~ ants can't walk through it, but even baking powder, cornstarch, baby powder, etc. would probably work. Cinnamon has a nice fragrance though.

Vaseline ~ they can't walk through that either, but it's messy.

An Anteater ~ okay, not really!

By far, the best solution with the longest term effect is Boric Acid.

Everyone in our neighborhood has major ant problems, because we are built on imported dirt. Red ants are also common in our area/county.

In 2000, we ripped out all of our kitchen cabinets, because our entire kitchen was covered in ants. I can't even describe what we used to go through to get control of them. Finally, I found the Boric Acid solution on line, and we've been ant free for the most part ever since.

However, termites are slowly chowing down our house. We can't leave to be tented, obviously. And the orange injections in the attic would expose us to potential respiratory irritants. I think about this a lot.

If there's ever a need for an old lady spokesperson for Boric Acid and Witch Hazel, I'm their gal!

Prayers for Peg tonight ~

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

2. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Jeanie Z's Avatar

Smile

:) I will get some boric acid and some cinnamon. Thank you for the suggestions. Praying for Peg. I hope her surgery was a success and she will heal quickly. Jeanie :)

4. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Read the description - uggh!
    Virginia

6. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

Bugs are a fact of life in florida. As such, we have a pest control guy every quarter. They spray outdoors and somehow it keeps insects from being indoors.

Then there is this
    https://abcnews.go.com/Weird/wireSto...viral-54942929

8. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member nuthatch's Avatar

EEWWWW! I have a "thing" about anything in my ears. Once, years ago, while out picking cherries from our tree, a little ol' black ant got into my ear. Aside from the feel, the sound of it dancing the jig on my eardrum was crazy loud! I was near hysterical until my husband managed to flush it out with warm water. Makes my ears itch just typing this! To this day I sleep with my ears covered.

We have consciously chosen to not use chemical pesticides, herbicides, ect. on our property. My husband owns a small tractor with a rototiller, mower and other attachments, so weeds are managed rather than sprayed. As I type this, DH is out in front laying more weed control fabric down around the immature landscape plants and trees, installing more drip irrigation, and covering it all with almond chips. The front yard is almost done but the back . . . 2 1/2 acres is a lot to deal with when you start with a blank slate, especially in a drought!

By the way Sunshine, how is your construction project coming along?

Rose, thanks for the info about earwigs. Will try the soy sauce oil trap idea. We used to buy some organic bait at the local Farmer's Market that you added water to and put out in a pie tin at night. In the morning the tin would be a soup of dead earwigs. I've heard you can do that with beer too, but it might attract a drunk wildlife party instead!

10. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Forgot to add: I had a problem with ants getting into my hummingbird feeder until I read somewhere that ants won't cross a chalk line. I had some school chalk so I went out and chalked a nice wide line all the way around the wooden post that held the feeder. It worked! Of course, the rain washes the chalk off but it's easy enough to fix that.

12. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

When I was living in my house I had a hummingbird feeder and I just loved watching it, and then the bees found it and they took over. I finally just stopped putting it up. I don't have a good place for one here. I had a birdhouse that I put on the railing on my deck, but the squirrels ate all the bird food and dropped it all over the deck. They made such a mess all the time, that I finally took that up too.
    Virginia

14. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Bees became a problem for my hummingbird feeder too, that's why we don't have the feeder any more. Instead we landscaped with drought tolerant plants that attract hummingbirds. We have a lot of lipstick salvia bushes that bloom most the year in red flowers that the hummingbirds just love. We've had people comment that we have so many hummingbirds here. The landscaping and the tiered fountain attract a huge variety of birds. Great investments!

16. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

Nuthatch, the concrete walls are all up. Trusses are up. Plywood on top of trusses nearly done. Picking out plumbing fixtures and tiles at this time.

Can’t wait to be in a one story home. The kitchen will have low counters, sink and cooktop to be able to reach from wheelchair. Hence, no cabs underneath the counters so wheelchair can be pulled under it.

This will look strange, but functional. Mixed feelings about it, since on some days I can stand for several minutes at a time.
    Last edited by Sunshine; 05-10-2018 at 02:00 AM.

18. The following 8 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nuthatch, the concrete walls are all up. Trusses are up. Plywood on top of trusses nearly done. Picking out plumbing fixtures and tiles at this time.

Can’t wait to be in a one story home. The kitchen will have low counters, sink and cooktop to be able to reach from wheelchair. Hence, no cabs underneath the counters so wheelchair can be pulled under it.

This will look strange, but functional. Mixed feelings about it, since on some days I can stand for several minutes at a time.
    Hi Sunshine...this is really great. My very first MS friend told me “get it before you need it”. The advice, often repeated as we went along is the best advice I ever got. I understand that hesitancy that comes when you think..”well, I can stand sometimes”! Celebrate what you can do each day...and prepare, prepare, prepare. That is a mantra that would help us all...����
    Last edited by Lazarus; 05-10-2018 at 03:05 AM.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

20. The following 8 users say "thanks"

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast