Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Stem Cells and Richard Cohen

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

Congratulations!

2. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Definitely a thumbs up for you and John, Linda!

There are three anniversaries on June 1 here? And two of them are 50th anniversaries? That's so very impressive!
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

Distinguished Community Member Jeanie Z's Avatar

Smile

:) Congratulations Catdancer and Tom Cat and Linda and John. I hope you all have a wonderful day and year.

I am battling tiny ants in almost every room of my house. Andy sprayed all the walls outside and said he probably killed thousands. It has been so dry I think they are looking for water.

Is there any spice I can sprinkle around that will deter them? Any ideas appreciated. Jeanie :)

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Jeanie, tiny ants seem to be a problem in various parts of this country. A friend in Oklahoma has been plagued with them, and they're very common here in Oregon.

I haven't had to put up with thousands of them but a couple of times there must have been hundreds. They're extremely annoying. I'm always looking for ways of getting rid of them too.

What they're using around here, but I'm not sure how well it works, is some sticky stuff called Terro. You put down a bit of it on a piece of cardboard, and the ants supposedly feed on it and carry the food back to their nest, where the rest of them get exposed to it, and the colony can be killed off in that way.

Except that every time I've used it, there sometimes were swarms of ants, but they either drowned in it or went racing off in every direction. They couldn't have been headed for their nest because they were going every which way.

I hate to admit it but now that this building has decided to save money by not having monthly exterminator visits, I'm using Raid. Not good for the environment but my environment isn't meant to include ants, and I haven't found anything else that works.

They don't seem to go for food any more than they go for anything else but I have found them in soapdishes so often that I wonder if they like soap. I'm tempted to stop using bar soap and just use the liquid soap that is in a dispenser. It would be a bit harder for them to find.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

6. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

When I see a few I immediately put out something called Combat. The kind I get comes in squares and you can sit them on your cabinets or anywhere. If I see a few ants I put several of the squares out on my kitchen counter tops and also on the counters in my master bath. Mostly I don't see them anywhere else because those are the two places that I run water. I have another bath downstairs and one upstairs and I hardly ever see an ant in either of them, because I don't use them. They are looking for water because it is dry. In my master bath I also put a few at the base of the cabinets. I have bought them in the grocery store, but usually I get them at Ace Hardware. My cabinets are white and these come in white so they are not big detractors. Nothing can go in them but ants and I don't think they are in any way dangerous. Actually, I don't know how they would work with as many as you are talking about Jeanie. If you get rid of them and then put a few of these around where you run water that might work.
    Virginia

8. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

CONGRATULATIONS Linda and John, Cherie and Dave, and Cat and Tom Cat!

Jeanie ~

We are also plagued with ants, but we found a sure cure for them. Boric Acid.

We use an empty aluminum tea light candle cup, but anything like that will do.

Put a little sugar in the cup. Then a little Boric Acid. Add warm water. Stir.

Place cups at all locations where ants are entering.

They come for the sugar in droves, carry the Boric Acid back to the nest.

Adios Ants!

Safe and effective! And cheap!

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad.

10. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

Borax powder works for roaches. I would call the insect guy. Ants are attracted to diabetics, curiously enough. You want to get that problem under control fast.

Edited: just read Roses post. Maybe it’s boric acid and not borax.

Edited : found this on line about borax
    https://www.pestwiki.com/borax-ant-killer/
    Last edited by Sunshine; 05-08-2018 at 02:31 PM.

Distinguished Community Member nuthatch's Avatar

Congratulations to all the happily married couples! Nearly 47 years for us.

We are presently being invaded by all kinds of insects. Happens every spring. I hate most bugs and am terrified of spiders and earwigs. I don't know how they get in the house, but do know all kinds of bugs come out at night. Earwigs are attracted by light and spiders just seem to love freaking me out by hanging out by my feet. My alias is Miss Muffet!

Last night I had two unnerving incidents. I was calming working on a bead project using my big lighted magnifier when out of nowhere a huge, fast, garden spider came out of nowhere and ran right up the inside of my sleeve! I let out a blood curdling scream which brought my husband running. I HATE SPIDERS and they seem to want to torment me! I can't tell you how many times I've found one sitting by my feet (or worse yet, under a foot) when I move my chair to get ready for bed.

Much later, as I was preparing for bed, I felt something in my hair on the top of my head. I reached up and an earwig fell onto my sleeve!!! Brought me to tears! Just the name "earwig" is enough to make my ears itch, so finding one in my hair sent me over the top!!! I'm still freaked!

Hubby is out to get something to kill earwigs that won't kill us too. Anybody got any remedies? Help!

Nuthatch, I couldn't sleep if that happened to me. I'd keep imagining that there were more spiders, earwigs, other bugs.

I hope what your husband gets works.

ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

14. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Nuthatch, I hope what he gets works too, but I don't know what earwigs are. Can you tell me?
    Virginia

16. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast