Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Keep on Moving Club: May 2018

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

Once again, those are awesome numbers Agate!

2. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

I did lunch at the museum (MFA) today w a friend. Too much walking. And then we got in her hot car and she didn't want to turn the airconditioning on. ;-(

I'm glad to be home.

ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

4. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

ANN, your friend could use some enlightenment. I've been in your situation and know how impossible it is to ask someone to turn on their air conditioning while you're there, particularly if "there" is a vehicle.

Sometimes I had helpers who had AC but didn't want to turn it on, and I had no choice but to roast. Or send them on the errands without me. Now that I'm older and heat seems to bother me even more, I think I'd refuse to get into a car that didn't have AC on if it was a hot day.

You could turn down any more invitations that would involve getting into this friend's vehicle in the heat. You could always beg off by saying, "Let's wait until the weather cools off, OK?"

That just might prompt her to realize that it would be thoughtful of her to consider the comfort of her passengers.

Drivers so often seem to reason that since they're driving the car, which I admit takes considerable skill and experience, they ought to control the windows (open or shut), the heating and cooling, whether people smoke, and what sounds are heard in the vehicle.

It's been a rare van driver who has ever given me any say-so in these matters. It's a very very rare van driver who asks if I mind the music being played.

So rare in fact that when I do get asked, I always say that the music is fine--even when I hate it. If I concede on that, I figure, maybe there will be more leeway for me on the windows and the heating/cooling.

If this seems like a nonissue to some, it really isn't. A van ride can last a couple of hours, and that is a long time to be stifling in a vehicle that is too warm.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

6. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Cool

Why does anyone not want to run the air conditioner? Do they not feel that it's not hot enough to turn it on? Thank goodness I have my own car with AC, and not afraid to use it!

8. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

My guess is that they want to save money--and not wear the equipment out.

It does cost a pretty penny to run air conditioning in a house or apartment, and I'm assuming that having it in a car is costly too.

10. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Cool

Yeah, it costs you with more gas used, but who cares. I don't even know what gas costs per gallon. I need gas, I pump it in. Maybe it's just me. I have no idea what my gas mileage it. I liked the look of the car.

12. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

I've always been willing to pay whatever it takes to cool off. I try hard not to turn the air conditioning on until the temperature inside is around 80' but at that point, on it goes. My electric bill is high but staying cool enough to keep functioning is worth it. Even with air conditioning, I'm as slow as molasses in January. Without it, I might not move much at all.

14. The following 3 users say "thanks"

The handicapped parking at the MFA is outside, in the sun and a long walk from the front or side entrance which makes you understand that they put it in because they had to, not because they felt committed to help in any way

We parked near a tree but the sun angled around to the passenger side by the time we returned. The car was super-heated (black interior). Ann, her name, funny I know, unlocked the car w one of those new doo-dads. I opened both doors on my side and stood there. She shot me a quizzical look. I told her that I was letting some heat out.

After we got in, I started to sweat, I was thinking the "eye-thing" was about to happen. When we got rolling, I asked her to let me know when to close my window for the AC. She said that there was such a nice breeze that we didn't need it!

We were driving in complicated traffic, buses, school buses, travelers that don't know where they are going and trolleys down the middle of the street sharing the same road surface. It was not a time to tell her about my needs but, in my head, I've scheduled her for the, Heat and MS conversation.

ANN

16. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stillstANNding View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The handicapped parking at the MFA is outside, in the sun and a long walk from the front or side entrance which makes you understand that they put it in because they had to, not because they felt committed to help in any way

We parked near a tree but the sun angled around to the passenger side by the time we returned. The car was super-heated (black interior). Ann, her name, funny I know, unlocked the car w one of those new doo-dads. I opened both doors on my side and stood there. She shot me a quizzical look. I told her that I was letting some heat out.

After we got in, I started to sweat, I was thinking the "eye-thing" was about to happen. When we got rolling, I asked her to let me know when to close my window for the AC. She said that there was such a nice breeze that we didn't need it!

We were driving in complicated traffic, buses, school buses, travelers that don't know where they are going and trolleys down the middle of the street sharing the same road surface. It was not a time to tell her about my needs but, in my head, I've scheduled her for the, Heat and MS conversation.

ANN
    I was thinking the "eye-thing" was about to happen.
    Would that be a sense of "wobbliness" in one or both eyes, maybe with an aching sensation behind the eyeballs? It's too bad you had to have such an uncomfortable ride. How we get from one place to another can be fraught with problems that other people don't understand.

18. The following 3 users say "thanks"

I don't have this problem w Uber. Passengers rate drivers so they readily comply.

The eye thing for me is a vision thing. Akin to tunnel vision but more a fuzziness at the edges.

ANN

20. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast