No announcement yet.

Keep on Moving Club: May 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I went surfing today. It was a perfect day: the water and air are warming up, so only lightweight easy to remove neoprene was possible. The waves were knee to waist high plus, a decent interval, clean and semi glassy, very light breeze with partly sunny warm skies. What more could I want?

My girlfriend drove me down and dragged me in the beach chair to the ocean. Another friend cleaned me up and drove me home out of her way to get me back home.

The love shown to me by group and others at the beach is stunning.

I did get about 4 rides, and a couple of fails where my timing was off and the wave rolled under me. Usually that doesn’t matter, just paddle back out and try again. But, I only get a certain amount of paddling, so each failed wave reduces the amount of time in the water.

My last wave was the better wave. I caught it right, felt the board accelerate, scrambled up and rode it a bit before it died due to inability to push my forward foot more toward the end of the nose to increase acceleration and shift weight forward. Oh well!

I regretted passing up a perfect waist high plus wave that a dude called out for me. I am not sure why I passed on it, except it was at the end of the session, and I was already getting complaints from my legs. So, it shook my confidence and I decided to just pass on it and then paddle back in with no wave. I should’ve done it and risked a spasm. Next time I will.

I am sure we all have experiences that our healthy self would’ve instantly grabbed for. But now, with a broken down body, are not so sure it’s doable.
    Whether its surfing a wave, accepting an invitation for an outing with a friend, and so forth.

Comment

Sunshine, though you got disappointed, it is still so great that you were able to spend that time with friends and in the water that you love so much! Just think, you are doing something (maybe not as good as you use to) that most of us on here probably have never done. At least I haven't.
      Virginia

Comment

I swam 1/4 mile 13 minutes at home today. Pool is now up to 80F, so if no unforeseen problems, will be swimming at home until around October with the first chill down.

Comment

duplicate post

Comment

Swam 1/4 mile early morning home.

Comment

I increased my swim to 16 minutes, 1/4 mike plus 70 Yards.

Comment

And how do you feel after that, Sunshine?

ANN
                There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

Comment

WHOA! Sunshine, you are really going right now. Keep it up.
                  Virginia

Comment

I felt stable, and no worse than 12 minutes. Will try to maintain this for several days. Surfing Saturday.

Comment

Swam 16 minutes, 1/4 mile plus 70 Yards again, yay! So grateful for the continued modest improvement, even pulled weeds for a minute :)

I call DH at work to say when go in pool. I call when out of pool. If he doesn’t get my call, he sends in the Calvary.

Comment

I keep improving. I have been standing even more today. I wonder what’s causing the improvement. It’s been twelve months since my big attack last May that crippled me...

Comment

Sunshine, whatever is causing it, it is wonderful. Maybe you are going into some kind of remission. If so, we will hope for full remission, but will settle for even partial.

I vacuumed yesterday. Today I ironed two blouses that I starched. That is about it for me. Got to go out tomorrow.
                          Virginia

Comment

Sunshine, maybe you were having a flare, and now it's calming down. Keeping up with your exercise the way you do probably helped.

Virginia, I was ironing today too--including one top that I starched. I put the groceries away after they were delivered, and other than that I made a few trips out to the front of the building because the hall carpeting was being professionally cleaned, and the fumes were getting bad. The person who delivered the groceries remarked that they seemed almost toxic.

So I was out there seeing where they were in the process and opening some windows. I took 1675 steps today without noticing much fatigue.
                            Last edited by agate; 05-10-2018, 09:39 PM.
                            SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) since December 2020.

Comment

Chocolate for agate and Virginia!

I swam 587 Yards today, which is 1/4 mile plus 137 Yards. Just shy of 1/3 mile . It’s almost 6 football fields. 17.5 minutes. Cleaned up and drove to the library. WALKED from car to the stacks, about 100 steps each way, stood at the circulation desk for about 30” and back to car. Drove home 10 minutes, climbed two flights of stairs.

Now I will settle the legs down for an hour or two.

I couldn’t have done this six weeks ago. Not at all.

Comment

That's a stellar day, Sunshine! Congratulations and yeah legs!

ANN
                                There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

Comment

Working...
                                X