Thread: Kinda OT, but very interesting

Distinguished Community Member nuthatch's Avatar

Default Kinda OT, but very interesting

Quite often, as I'm working on my peyote beading, I listen to past episodes of This American Life. I listened to this episode last night and found it very interesting. Each episode has a theme which is explained in the prolog, followed by three "acts". Some are better than others. Act 1 of this episode, titled "Do These Jeans Make Me Look Fatless" is particularly good. Here's a brief description:

Do These Genes Make Me Look Fatless?

By

David Epstein

Journalist David Epstein tells the story of Jill Viles, who has muscular dystrophy and canít walk. But she believes that she somehow has same condition as one of the best hurdlers in the world, Priscilla Lopes-Schliep. David Epstein is the author of The Sports Gene: Inside the Science of Extraordinary Athletic Performance. Read more from David about Jill and Priscilla and see photos at ProPublica. (35 minutes)

To listen, just scroll down and click on the arrow next to where it says "Act 1". Be patient as it takes a minute before it starts.

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/577...only-i-can-see

For other episodes, just click where it says "Archives" in the bar at the top of the page. Lots of good listening to choose from there!

2. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

This American Life is excellent in general. Do you remember a neighbor cleaning out an elderly neighbor's yard so she wouldn't get evicted or cited by the city in The District of Colombia? It was a hot day. It was told do well I felt like I was there.

ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

4. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member nuthatch's Avatar

Hi Ann, I don't think I've listened to that episode but would love to. Do you know the title or when it aired? I love that all the shows are available to listen to on-line. The trouble is that I loose track of time at night while beading and listening, and the next thing I know it's 2 a.m.!

6. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

It was years ago but, like Sally's living room, I felt like I had been there.

I love stories. I have gone through many series of true and fictional stories. I download free books and stories from iTunes onto my phone.

ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

8. The following 5 users say "thanks"