Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: same question more intense problem.

Distinguished Community Member

I have this, but it is usually more cold than hot. Like Ann, even inside I look more like I am enduring an extremely cold wave even in summer. Occasionally, I go to hot and feel as though I am going to break out in a sweat, but mostly it is cold with me. I am very uncomfortable. Often I will go to bed (always with a lot of heavy cover), but will still wake to find that my feet are beginning to get cold and then they get so cold I can hardly stand it. I keep socks near by, but they do not help a lot.

Also, sometime in the day, or night, I feel chills like they are going up my back and just over and over. This often goes on for hours and interrupts whatever I am doing weather it is sleeping or trying to do something around the house in the day time. Yet, in the summer I can not take the heat if I go outside. I am seldom truly comfortable in my body.

I do take thyroid medication, but that is checked every six months so it should not be a problem.

I and now it seems many others, can truly understand what you are saying. I dread going into the grocery store in the summer because it is so cold, and on and on the list goes.

If you get it solved please let us know and even if you do not keep us informed. We are always so glad to see you.

By the way, the only thing I have found that helps with the cold is to put my hands or feet in hot water and keep them there for awhile. However, when my feet begin to get cold at night I cannot get up and do it because I am afraid I will fall it is so bad.
    Last edited by Virginia; 04-29-2018 at 04:46 PM.
    Virginia

2. The following 8 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member nuthatch's Avatar

There is a strange, guilty comfort in learning that I'm not alone in trying to deal with this issue.

Early in my MS journey I had the more typical heat intolerance, hot temperatures turned me into a puddle of mud. Almost 20 years later it's a whole different ballgame.
    Now I'm cold most all of the time and sit in front of a small electric heater that blows heated air at me. I wear long sleeved knit shirts year around with my lower half wrapped in fleece (I'm wheelchair bound).
    My body lost the ability to sweat long ago, so I have no self cooling ability. Now I can no longer shiver or goose bump either, both of which are the body's natural defenses against cold.
    I guess it's a good thing I live in California, in an area where the climate is/was mild!

But the worst happens at night, although not every night, thank goodness.
    When I am put into bed, my body always kicks into cold gear. No amount of blankets will warm me up so I can go to sleep. I will spasm for hours and am very uncomfortable. To remedy this, my hubby heats up one of those herbal rice hull wraps in the microwave and I lay it across my chest and over my shoulders. It instantly warms me up and relaxes me enough to go to sleep. I usually throw that wrap off after I've been asleep an hour or two.

But my biggest and most scary problem is that my body shifts into hot gear occasionally while I'm asleep. The sound of my heart pounding in my head and headache pain wakes me in a panic! It's like I'm paralyzed and cannot move a finger to throw my blanket off myself, so I call out to my husband for help. He quickly takes the blanket and sheet off, sometimes turns the overhead ceiling fan on and/or a cold wet washcloth and gives me a few sips of ice water. Literally within a minute I am cooled off. He then puts the sheet and blanket back on me and we return to sleep. It's very unnerving and I fear that one day I may not wake up when that happens and expire.
    This usually happens only once on any given night, but once it happened three times in one night. Needless to say we didn't get much restful sleep that night.
    My brother suggested I get a baby fever monitor that sets off an alarm when the body temp gets dangerously high.

I do have hypothyroidism and have taken medication (not generic, it doesn't do it for me) for 30 years and am monitored regularly. I recognize the symptoms when my thyroid dosage has needed to be increased. This is very different.

I love a hot shower in the morning, but if the vent fan isn't turned on, there are consequences! Steamy air is a hazard for me. I don't know how you in the eastern half of the U.S. do it!

I only take synthroid, a bp med and LDN, all of which are necessary, so I don't feel it's a med issue.
    I could spend a lot of money on MRIs, but can't see what could be done about this issue, so what's the point? I just keep on keeping on and deal the best I can.

4. The following 8 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

An Example of non MS cause of temp dysregulstion, increased heart rate, headache, increased blood pressure

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20350548
    Last edited by Sunshine; 04-30-2018 at 02:46 AM.

6. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Community Member

Nuthatch, You and I seem to have all the same issues, I need to read over all the posts and talk more with neuro. Thank you Jan
    Jan
    "never let it be too late"

8. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Community Member

Default Thank you everyone

I have alot of info to absorb, thank you all for your posts........... I will let you know what my results are if any
    Jan
    "never let it be too late"

10. The following 8 users say "thanks"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12