Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: same question more intense problem.

Community Member

Angry same question more intense problem.

Hello everyone I have been offline for awhile and I need some help.
    My same problem the hot and cold issues I have had my thyroid checked and it's ok.
    I asked my Neuro Doc and he says it's a normal MS sysmtom.
    I just need a way to deal with it. Last night was terible. I just had a MRI of my head so I think I need to see what's up with that.
    thanks for letting me talk this through.
    I am crazy. Jan :(
    Jan
    "never let it be too late"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hi Jan,
    Good to hear from you even though it sounds as if you have a problem that is making you very uncomfortable. Anything that interferes with sleep is miserable, IMO.

I'm sorry I don't recall the hot and cold problem you mention. Are you suddenly feeling very hot and then suddenly very cold?

I'm sorry too that I don't know what could be causing it or have any suggestions except that if you're taking any meds, you might want to check into their side effects and see if adjusting the dosage on them might solve the problem.

All too often a problem turns out to be related to some med a person is taking.

As for being crazy, welcome to the club.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

3. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Cherie's Avatar

Jan,
    I also do not remember the hot cold issue. Could it be related to hormones and menopause symptoms? Is your thyroid out of whack or under control now?

5. The following 8 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Jan I think I know exactly what you mean. The MS hot and cold thing.

For the cold thing, I have all kinds of sweaters, fleece pull overs, socks and fingerless gloves. I sometimes wear gloves, socks and a soft knit hat to bed. And it has nothing to do with the indoor or outdoor temperature.

I have a leopard print blanket on my brown couch so it doesn't look so much like bedding but it is. I have pj's on in the evening and wrap myself in that blanket. I also have a heating pad against my back. (Warning: get the kind with "auto shut off"in one hour. Use the lowest setting.)

For the times when I flip to too hot, I take off anything I can in the given situation and drink water cooled in the fridge. Ice water or iced drinks do not help. Iced drinks make your body think you are cold and increase your metabolism to warm you.

I can have hot, cold or both in the same day. I can need gloves on a 60 degree day.

This is how I get through the hot-cold thing that is not related to anything outside of me. Like you, my labs and thyroid test are normal. I am not menopausal.

Renee has this too, I think. I thought we all did. A broken thermostat.

ANN
    Last edited by stillstANNding; 04-29-2018 at 08:12 AM.
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

7. The following 8 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Jeanie Z's Avatar

Smile

:) I keep my AC at 76 degrees. I sleep in a jacket and pajamas. I also wear the jacket most of the day unless I get hot which seldom happens. I have arthritis in my right shoulder elbow and wrist so the jacket helps keep them from hurting so much. I take thyroid daily but no meds that would cause the chilliness. Jeanie :)

9. The following 8 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

If it’s not thyroid, not an endocrine tumor, not medication related, not peri menopause, then I would think it’s an autonomic nervous reflex system problem related to MS or a new neuro problem.

The MRI sounds like a good idea. If it shows nothing, ask doc if you should see endocrinologist. Also, be sur nine of your meds are interfering with lab test of thyroid, creating a false negative. There are several blood tests too, TSH being only one, to assess thyroid. Endocrinologist might be a good bet.

11. The following 8 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This might be of use, from Prevention Magazine, February 2018:

https://www.prevention.com/health/6-...rent-menopause
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

13. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2980380/

Thermoregulation in MS. Skip down past the heat sensitivity to the Central Regulation part.

ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

15. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Cherie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If it’s not thyroid, not an endocrine tumor, not medication related, not peri menopause, then I would think it’s an autonomic nervous reflex system problem related to MS or a new neuro problem.

The MRI sounds like a good idea. If it shows nothing, ask doc if you should see endocrinologist. Also, be sur nine of your meds are interfering with lab test of thyroid, creating a false negative. There are several blood tests too, TSH being only one, to assess thyroid. Endocrinologist might be a good bet.
    Biotin is one med (supplement) that gives false glucose and thyroid function readings.

17. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

Well I am sorry you are in discomfort but glad that, since you are, you came here and asked the question. I have been having a problem and keep meaning to ask about it. Pretty uncomfortable isn’t it? From reading responses you got I will ask to have my thyroid checked.

I have been having especially night sweats for a few months. Although it happens a lot when I am in bed it also happens during th day. Intense heat. It feels likeI am sweating but I do not seem to be sweating. And the switch to feeling cold is as fast as snapping your fingers.

When I had active Lyme disease 30 years ago it was a symptom to have night sweats so I also thought I should test To see if Lyme is active.

In the meantime the most important tractor has a pump problem and it is past time to plant the rest of the potatoes. Different kind of crisis is definitely making me sweat!
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

19. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast