Thread: New Shingles vaccine

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

Default New Shingles vaccine

You may know that there is a new vaccine out right now for shingles. It is 90% effective, and much more effective than the older one. I know people who’ve had shingles and it’s extremely painful. One of them had it in her eye and continues to have vision problems from.

The new vaccine is called Shingrex. My neurologist has no problem with me getting it. My primary care doctor also is in favor of it.its a two dose vaccine and many insurers cover it.

It will be available tomorrow at my local pharmacy and perhaps at yours as well. It has been out for a while. But, at least in Florida, the law just passed that allows pharmacists to inject it.

I plan on getting the vaccine in the next couple days how about you?
    Last edited by Sunshine; 04-11-2018 at 01:44 PM.

2. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

I've got it on my list for my next visit to either my neurologist or primary care doctor. I had shingles 3 years ago and am still experiencing pain and terrible itching at the site of the shingles. And yes, it is very painful, the most pain I've ever experienced -- and that includes a broken leg, pressure sores, infected gall bladder and appendix, osteomyelitis, migraine headaches. I'm pretty tough, have a high threshold for pain, yet shingles pain drove me to tears. I urge anyone who hasn't already, to go get the shots!

4. The following 7 users say "thanks"

I just got it. The pharmacist explained that I may have a very sore arm. Some people raise a mild fever for a couple days. One person in 1 million has a severe reaction. That may not sound like bad odds, but I already have a one person in 1 million disease, stiff person syndrome. So that statistic got my attention!

But shingles also gets my attention. The two people I know who have had Shingles were in horrible pain and one has permanent damage in her eye.

Go get the shot. Medicare Part D covers part of it.

6. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Just some FYI. The new vaccine requires 2 injections, 2 to 6 months apart. And it only lasts for 5 years, and then you have to get it again.
    Last edited by Howie; 04-12-2018 at 04:03 PM.

8. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

Here's the CDC information on Shingrix:

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/shi...rix/index.html

Howie ~ I think a 5 year efficacy is pretty good for a vaccine.

Sunshine ~ I can empathize with your reaction to One in a Million. Through the years, every time a doctor told me that adverse side effects were rare to whatever drug was being proposed to treat either one of my sons, I always gestured toward my son, and replied, "We know rare. My sons are so rare that they don't even have a diagnosis." It can be disconcerting. I pray that you do very well with Shingrix.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad.

10. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Cool

I do too Rose, I didn't mean it to sound like it wasn't worth it.

12. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Jeanie Z's Avatar

Smile

:) I won't get the vaccine. I do not want side effects and I have only had shingles once years ago. I do not think I will get it again due to taking LDN daily. Jeanie :)

14. The following 4 users say "thanks"

I had a very sore arm for 1 1/2 days. Good enough last night to sleep on that side, and to swim today. Small price to pay if it prevents shingles.

16. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanie Z View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    :) I won't get the vaccine. I do not want side effects and I have only had shingles once years ago. I do not think I will get it again due to taking LDN daily. Jeanie :)
    I hope you’re right. These are hard decisions to make without a crystal ball. 3 times in 20 years I had an MS attack after a flu shot. Makes me worry when it’s time to get the shot, but flu will kill me, so shot wins.

18. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I had a very sore arm for 1 1/2 days. Good enough last night to sleep on that side, and to swim today. Small price to pay if it prevents shingles.
    as

I absolutely agree! I have encouraged everyone I know to get a shot. As I said, nothing I've experienced has been more painful than shingles, and the long=term aftereffect have been very troublesome.

20. The following 6 users say "thanks"