Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Has anyone had MRIs of brain, cervical and thoracic spine at same time?

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'll probably go ahead with the MRIs, mainly so I'll know more about what the MS seems to be doing since I stopped Copaxone.

I'm not at all worried about the doctor's dire predictions. She was basing her idea (about arthritic problems in the cervical spine) on the "loss of muscle mass" in my hands. She didn't even ask how long my hands had been that way, and I'm sure they were no worse than when she saw me 6 months ago--so she wasn't making comparisons.

If she'd asked, I'd have told her that my hands have been looking like that for over 30 years. I haven't been concerned about it because some people's hands just do look bony, with the veins standing out.

I find it hard to believe that this condition needs to be corrected surgically. I told her that I'd be concerned about it if it was keeping me from eating but otherwise I wasn't concerned.

She didn't even appear to have looked at my record though it would have been easy enough since I've been a patient at that clinic for over 8 years. She went scurrying out of the room to find some information in it. It wasn't important enough for her to have it right in front of her during our appointment.

During the whole conversation I had the impression of someone who was just marking time, with little or no interest in listening to what I was trying to say. She was very nice though, and maybe it was just a bad day for her. But I'm glad I've put off the MRI discussion for another 3 months.

I agree that doing the MRIs in two different sessions would be the best way.
    Last edited by agate; 04-10-2018 at 09:33 PM.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

2. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanie Z View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    :) Here you can mail the form and a check to the tax assessors office and they will mail the tag to you. Jeanie :)
    Same here. Are you sure you have to travel there? You might want to call the DMV and check?!
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

4. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Agate, all my recent Doctors have had all my records on the computer right in front of them and look at them while I am there - my Neuro and my PCP. Did she not have a computer? If not, maybe she had to go to one to look something in particular up on you.
    Virginia

6. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

So many docs seem bored and burned out lately.

8. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Virginia View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Agate, all my recent Doctors have had all my records on the computer right in front of them and look at them while I am there - my Neuro and my PCP. Did she not have a computer? If not, maybe she had to go to one to look something in particular up on you.
    She had a computer right there where she examined me. I was noticing it while she was out of the room. I couldn't see what was on the screen but I did see that the keyboard was different from keyboards I'm familiar with. It had odd knobs on it.

Most doctors do have the information about me with them if I've come in for a scheduled appointment. They either have it on their computer screen or in an old-fashioned file folder but they have it.

10. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

[QUOTE=Sunshine;75326]So many docs seem bored and burned out lately.[/QUOTE
    It must be hard to keep oneís optimism when insurance companies are often making what should be the doctorís decisions. Like teachers faced with implementing decisions made by the likes of Trumpís appointees.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

12. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

I'm sure they hate having to make decisions based on what insurance will cover. They could be much better doctors if they didn't have to worry about whether each patient will be financially covered for every procedure or test or surgery.

That is always a big issue, I've noticed. Many times a doctor has said to me, "I'd like to do a [insert name of test or procedure] but I'm not sure your insurance will cover it." I wouldn't like to have to keep that in mind all the time if I were a doctor. I'd get too distracted from the matter at hand--namely, the patient.

14. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12