Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gabapentin/ Neurontin

Distinguished Community Member nuthatch's Avatar

2. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

I know we have had quite a few people, from time to time, on here who use gabapentin. I have a brother who has used it for back pain, but it puts weight on him and I know he either has already or is trying to get off it.
    Virginia

4. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member houghchrst's Avatar
    Blog Entries

My mother was prescribed Neurontin for her leg neuropathy and she would be high, turned into chatty cathy and loved to shop. It helped her but yes I do see where the high can come to some people. My podiatrist prescribed the max dose of Neurontin and max of Ibuprofen daily for pain in my feet and legs. I outright asked if that could affect my kidneys and liver and he looked me in the eye and said no lolol. So I took it, it helped a bit up until I had a heart attack and then find out that large regular dosing of Ibuprofen can cause them and I am sure that my having had reactions to other types of NSAIDS did not help. I have quit taking both except for psych reasons as two Gabapentin and Klonopin help me get stage 4 sleep, I take before bed. I am not sure of either being heart safe.
    Last edited by houghchrst; 04-02-2018 at 03:48 AM.

6. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

I've taken Gabapentin for years, 6 a day, and wish I did feel a high. It stopped me having seizures, and I will always take it.....gladly.

8. The following 7 users say "thanks"

I can understand that Howie. If it helps you and is not hurting you why not. I wonder why my brother gains weight on it?
    Virginia

10. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member SuzE-Q's Avatar

I just weaned off this as it wasn't doing anything for me. Took a while to build up, then wean off since I was told you just can't stop it.

I didn't have any good effects either, although the article just says it makes OTHER opioids or meds taken at same time produce greater effects, not from gabapentin alone.

Howie, what strength do you take? I'd worked my way up to about 1,600 mg/day in 4x/day divided doses, then had to taper off.

Happy to be off as it just made me more tired.

Virginia, yes, think it can cause weight gain, although it didn't in me.
    Please Note that my posts may have been arbitrarily altered by a Moderator and may not reflect my original content.

Per Mike Weins: "...the admin/mod team doesn't have to provide a forewarning/warning/mention about altering a members post. It doesn't matter if they fix a link, remove a link, fix a typo, or whatever...."

12. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

I take a 2-300mg doses, 3 times a day, so that's 1800mg per day. I've had no weight gain from it, but in the past I've had weight gain from ADs I've tried, and would drop them immediately.

14. The following 6 users say "thanks"

I take gabepenten, too. It helps a lot to reduce spasms in my legs, and shingles pain. I don't drink or use any other pain meds, so I'm not too worried...

16. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Our cat, Kofi, a feral cat at the start, was prescribed 100 mg of gabapentin to make vet visits easier on him and less bite- y on the vet.

ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

18. The following 4 users say "thanks"

I was given a script of Gabapentin, by my Neuro about 10 years ago. I have been on Diazepam at that point for over 20 years. At the time I knew my Neuro was making a mistake,
    he looked at me and said you are verging on addiction to Diazepam, I started to laugh and said no it's a full on addiction now. Shortly after this I was with my GP and I told them what happened
    his response, there's no way I'm going near that train wreck.

So I did Gaba for a couple day's in total I thought my head was going to explode, my sister saw me and said "I want your Power of Attorney" Needless to say I stopped taking them immediately
    soul

20. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast